Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 01:46 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,842,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
They are often indistinguishable to me. Krugman for example.
Not every economist is a genius or even a sensible person, many in the news resemble politicians more than thinkers.

Well sure, but those aren't the ones I pay attention to. I'm more likely to read NBER briefs for my info, not the talking heads on pop news.

But I have no interest in quitters. People that remove themselves from the workforce because they're "discouraged" don't really deserve any sympathy, and they shouldn't be counted as unemployed. I'll save that for the people that keep trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
It's better than a few years ago, but not better than 10 years ago by any stretch. There is also a huge degree of economic uncertainty for many Americans, seen by many measures - commodity prices, stock prices vs. returns, domestic investment vs. foreign, voting patterns (though I don't want to get into the politics here). But whatever.... sure it's all going swimmingly

I think it is better now that 2004. Lots of places (or where I was at the time) was still trying to recover from the dot com bubble burst of 2001 by then. It isn't great now, but it is nothing like a few years ago. It's not like the mid 90s.

But hiring is strong now. The problem is finding qualified candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 02:01 PM

615 posts, read 724,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Your claim would make sense if most jobs are posted. But they are not. We know that.
No, we don't know that. A few people in this thread disagree with your claim. You haven't provided any evidence besides an article that said "Most exerts agree ..." and didn't cite any statistics.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:40 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,842,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
No, we don't know that. A few people in this thread disagree with your claim. You haven't provided any evidence besides an article that said "Most exerts agree ..." and didn't cite any statistics.

It isn't "my claim". I posted three pieces with numbers on it. I can post dozens more if you wish. If you don't want to believe it, that is your business. You seem to want everything handed to you (as shown in your whining about dating threads), maybe doing some of your own research might be in order.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:43 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,303,913 times
I actually disagree with the people who say you won't get the job with the network but no skills.
I have been thrown into jobs where i didn't really have the skills simply because I was friends with the VP or someone else on the team. In fact, every job I've ever had out of college was like that. Most high level jobs are like this.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:44 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,406,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by like-2-hike View Post
Not sure how the jobs thing is going for potential employees, but I can say as an employer, it can be just as frustrating...

The last two jobs my department has listed have had few applicants (3 for one, about 20 for another), fewer qualified applicants, and many people who applied put little effort into their applications (e.g. cover letter or resume written in a text editor with little or no formatting, resume hand-written with pen and highlighter and digitized via cell phone camera, etc.).

Every time I read about or hear people complain about how hard it is to find a job, I think back to these recent experiences and wonder where the disconnect is... (not saying the OP is doing anything wrong)
For me the only disconnect is that whenever I fill out an application and submit it, I never hear from the employer. Even though they say "NOW HIRING!!!". They never call me for an interview.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:02 PM

4,191 posts, read 6,874,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
networking is overrated anyhow.
-said by no one ever with a job

But seriously I agree with 313Weather. Networking is not how you get the job, but it is a huge piece of the puzzle. You just have to make sure to follow through and have a good working reputation with those in your network.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:07 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,547,329 times
And here I thought this was such a simple concept, yet so many don't seem to understand it.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:57 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,030,124 times
A big part of the current employment situation is that the recovery is regional. Some areas have seem only modest improvement, perhaps none. Others, like in Seattle have been growing new positions much faster than they can be filled. I think that most candidates, not sure about you, often eliminate relocation from their search without really considering it. If you are willing to move anywhere to take a professional position, you should be able to find work quickly. Relocation adds complexity, but it doesn't have to be forever and if you are young, it should be relatively easy. Depending on exactly what technology experience you have, the Seattle are as an example has hundreds of jobs each day from places like Microsoft, Expedia, Starbucks, Amazon, Boeing and hundreds of smaller firms that support the big guys. My company and the employers of most of my peers are always lamenting that we can't find anyone to hire and that our positions stay open way too long.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:05 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,458,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
This is a given. Why apply if you are not a good fit?

Besides, you can be the most qualified person on earth, but if you don't engage anyone personally and sit at home clicking around job boards all day, your chances of getting hired plummet.
I've been hired for jobs I wasn't a good fit on paper, but ended up being so. They don't know how to write job descriptions and requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment