Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:29 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,511 times

Advertisements

I am a 21 year old college student. I work at a help desk at my school. In an effort to legitimize ourselves (none of us who work there have had any formal training), our boss' (boss's) boss agreed to pay for some dell, mac, and HDI (?) training for all of us during my winter vacation. These are probably $100-$200 certifications that I wouldn't have to pay for.

My parents plan elaborate vacations for winter vacation. If I go to these certification classes, I'm missing like 4 days of a vacation. Plus it will create an issue for my mom "you're our only child, we go on vacations for you. We aren't paying for you to go to college to end up working at a help desk. blah blah blah."

Also, I have a job lined up when I graduate which is software focused (as is my career path, I'm a computer science student after all) rather than technician focused, so it's not like these certificates show anything to a future employer.

But free (to me) certifications are nice, and I don't particularly like spending the whole day with my parents.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 10:32 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
21 yo self would probably go on vacation

40 something yo self would not approve of my short term thinking 21 yo self and say get the certifications

Old 10-28-2014, 10:33 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Unless you have a written contract the job you have lined up is not a guarantee and even if you do have a contract those can be broken.

You need to decide if your education is worth missing 4 miserable days spending time with your parents who it appears you don't like much anyway.

What would you do?

Old 10-28-2014, 10:34 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
I am a 21 year old college student. I work at a help desk at my school. In an effort to legitimize ourselves (none of us who work there have had any formal training), our boss' (boss's) boss agreed to pay for some dell, mac, and HDI (?) training for all of us during my winter vacation. These are probably $100-$200 certifications that I wouldn't have to pay for.

My parents plan elaborate vacations for winter vacation. If I go to these certification classes, I'm missing like 4 days of a vacation. Plus it will create an issue for my mom "you're our only child, we go on vacations for you. We aren't paying for you to go to college to end up working at a help desk. blah blah blah."

Also, I have a job lined up when I graduate which is software focused (as is my career path, I'm a computer science student after all) rather than technician focused, so it's not like these certificates show anything to a future employer.

But free (to me) certifications are nice, and I don't particularly like spending the whole day with my parents.

What would you do?
Be honest and do what YOU want.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:54 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,814 times
I can't imagine a world where a $100 certification from Dell is going to make a CS student more marketable upon graduation. In light of that, I'd choose the vacation.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:11 AM

701 posts, read 1,096,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post

What would you do?
Well, I was going to say skip it, because once you have your CS degree, these certifications are going to be pretty meaningless, but it sounds like you actually want to do them. So in that case, I'd go get the certs.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:51 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
40 something yo self would not approve of my short term thinking 21 yo self and say get the certifications
I'm over 40 and I say go on vacation. You have a post-graduation job already lined up. Giving up vacation to get a certification you only need for a student job is nuts.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:02 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,793,546 times
You have a job lined up upon graduation and the certifications are meaningless to your future career. I'd skip it.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:43 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,077 times
you must really not like your parents if you'd rather spend the day learning about PC troubleshooting than go on vacation with them

Old 10-28-2014, 01:55 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,525 times
No brainer. Vacation. When you start working full time you will truly see that those elaborate vacations are few and far between.

Good on you to ask to be responsible, but you are 21, a student, working a help desk.. Not work missing vacation for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment