Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 12:21 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,778,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinpdx View Post
Pretty much!! I never call out unless I am truly sick. I have built up a nice PTO Bank, Once a year they let us sell some back. I am flying out to Florida for a couple weeks in Dec. It will be nice to still come home and get a full paycheck.
I find it's rarely limited to being "adult" and you still have to budget either way. PTO was created simply to avoid the annoying hassle of a) requiring doctor's notes to prove that it was a sick day, not a vacation day and b) people waiting until the last minute to call out simply so they could use a sick day.

The latter is primarily for companies who don't have "adult" employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 02:30 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,280,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Most companies use PTO to limit the amount of time people get. Almost always separate banks if vacation/sick/personal add up to more days than one combined PTO bank.

I get 23/12/3 vacation/sick/personal days, for a total leave of 38 days/year. Plus holidays, but let's ignore those, as they are not typically included in PTO.

Most companies in my industry using PTO offer 28-32 days of PTO.

I will gladly take the three different pools of time and juggle reporting requirements.
Five + weeks of vacation is amazing, plus sick time.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:42 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,036,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
It all comes down to how often your sick though. I can't remember the last time I was sick more than twice a year.

Using your numbers, you could either have 26 Days Off when you wanted excluding sick time, or 28-32 days off including sick time.

Are you out sick 2-6 days a year? If not, PTO is the better choice here.
Check your math. Including sick time I can take 38 days, not 28-32.

I average 3 sick days/year. The rest get stored in a sick leave bank. If I ever have a serious illness I can draw upon them for full pay, and if I never do I can cash out a percentage at retirement.

During a typical career, most people will encounter a serious illness. Could be cancer, a car accident, or any number of other things. Accruing a large number of sick days gives you the financial resources to ride it out.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Five + weeks of vacation is amazing, plus sick time.
Management in education. It is not unusual in my field. I have had 3 positions at different employers with approximately this much vacation, and I have many colleagues at other institutions who have something similar.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:17 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
PTO is not vacation time. PTO is Paid Time Off. For ANYTHING.

Sickness
A trip to Europe
A pre-planned mental health day because you don't feel like working
A doctor appointment

It's all wrapped up in one package.

They aren't taking anything away from you by putting it all under the PTO umbrella.
I'd prefer not to use my PTO for a sickness.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:44 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I'd prefer not to use my PTO for a sickness.

You originally posted that you don't get sick leave. Which is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan
I totally agree. We have a lot of work to do to upgrade our corporate culture to the 21st century. For example, I have a new job where we don't get sick leave: it's all wrapped into one PTO bank. What that says to me is: unless you have an illness that puts you in the hospital, show up to work. Even if I have the flu, I will show up sick to work.

Just because you want to keep all your PTO for vacation doesn't mean you don't get sick days. And if you show up to work sick, a lot of companies will send you home, so be prepared.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:26 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,711,653 times
Quote:

I average 3 sick days/year. The rest get stored in a sick leave bank. If I ever have a serious illness I can draw upon them for full pay, and if I never do I can cash out a percentage at retirement.

During a typical career, most people will encounter a serious illness. Could be cancer, a car accident, or any number of other things. Accruing a large number of sick days gives you the financial resources to ride it out.
Do they pay you for it when you leave?

Old 10-30-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Do they pay you for it when you leave?
If I quit, no.

But I can cash out a certain amount every year if I have accrued enough. If I retire, I can cash it out, it gets added to my annual salary, and that has a direct impact on the amount of my pension.

I can't guarantee that I will retire from this employer, but it is a pretty good chance.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:02 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,778,568 times
Quote:

My math isn't off, as I said, I was using your numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123
Using your numbers, you could either have 26 Days Off when you wanted excluding sick time, or 28-32 days off including sick time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains
Most companies in my industry using PTO offer 28-32 days of PTO.
The 28-32 was your stated average for a PTO system. I was comparing your current Non-PTO to an industry average PTO, and then stated that if you don't take more than 2-6 days, you're better off with PTO.

You said you average 3. If you were on PTO, and at company that offered the upper range of 32 days of PTO, you would be better off there because you would use 3 days sick and get 29 days vacation per year instead of the 26 you get today.

Yes, your sick days will bank, however they also cap out. I'd much rather have time banked that I can use whenever rather than sick days. Also, the real question isn't how they cash out at retirement, it's how do they cash out(if at all) when you quit, since most people don't stay at a company all the way to retirement. Sick days may be treated differently.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:33 PM

881 posts, read 1,814,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
This brings up an interesting point: perhaps there is a legitimate reason for not using a cell phone in particular areas at the airport, perhaps for security reasons? I don't know, I'm asking.
The queue to go through US immigration & customs have very clear signs (as well as videos at some airports) regarding the no cameras or phone policy. The queues always have people (not TSA or homeland security) directing passengers to the correct queues and making sure passengers fill out their custom and/or other forms (for non US citizens and permanent residents). And base on the job description the OP posted, that is exactly where he was working.

I have seen them yell at passengers for having their phones out in this area. So it seems logical the very person who is suppose to enforce this rule should not be on their phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment