Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 01:01 PM

399 posts, read 407,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Talk about the punishment not fitting the crime! I don't share the viewpoint of the others...maybe you made a small mistake, but it's ridiculous that they would send you home over something so silly. People have no compassion anymore, it seems. I hope you land on your feet.
Wrong. People have TOO MUCH compassion these days. It's all idiots feeling sorry for other idiots because they can relate to each other. My compassion is reserved for those who got a bum deal in life, not for people who are given a great opportunity and squander it.

You get a job at an airport which means you're pretty much set - decent pay, benefits, no one breathing down your neck, no backbreaking labor. Only thing you have to do is not f**k it up by being a dumb***. What do you do? You f**k it up by being a dumb***. When someone tells you "I'll pay you money, just DO NOT USE YOUR PHONE" and you can't even follow that simple directive you really have to evaluate your employability and who you are as a human being.

Absolutely no compassion from me. If the dude was told to stay at his post and instead he runs over to help an old woman who was hit by a taxi, that would warrant compassion and maybe a bending of the rules. But to feel compassion for a guy who keeps being told STOP USING YOUR PHONE and yet he can't help himself from seeing what his buddy had for lunch on Instagram? No compassion. That would just be enabling stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 01:08 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
Wrong. People have TOO MUCH compassion these days. It's all idiots feeling sorry for other idiots because they can relate to each other. My compassion is reserved for those who got a bum deal in life, not for people who are given a great opportunity and squander it.

You get a job at an airport which means you're pretty much set - decent pay, benefits, no one breathing down your neck, no backbreaking labor. Only thing you have to do is not f**k it up by being a dumb***. What do you do? You f**k it up by being a dumb***. When someone tells you "I'll pay you money, just DO NOT USE YOUR PHONE" and you can't even follow that simple directive you really have to evaluate your employability and who you are as a human being.

Absolutely no compassion from me. If the dude was told to stay at his post and instead he runs over to help an old woman who was hit by a taxi, that would warrant compassion and maybe a bending of the rules. But to feel compassion for a guy who keeps being told STOP USING YOUR PHONE and yet he can't help himself from seeing what his buddy had for lunch on Instagram? No compassion. That would just be enabling stupidity.
Hahaha, so harsh, yet so, so, true.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:10 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
When someone tells you "I'll pay you money, just DO NOT USE YOUR PHONE" and you can't even follow that simple directive you really have to evaluate your employability and who you are as a human being.
This is so on the money.

I simply cannot believe how many people will argue with the people paying them.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:15 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turner23x View Post
Yea i was actually using it and had it out a while. Here's the thing tho. I was in a relatively small area where I was the only employee from my company was stationed. Me and TSA employees were the only airport workers there. I was checking boarding passes/tickets and sending the passengers into the cue and down to TSA/security checkpoint.

So im thinking its cool and im alone; so i had my cell out b/c none of my supervisors are ever out there. I got caught by guys that run/own the airport via the video camera. These fckers actually took a picture of me through the camera in the ceiling and emailed that picture to the company i work for. After that they sent me home.
Yikes. I thought you were just working at some random gift shop inside where the gates were. Knowing that you were supposed to be verifying tickets from crowds of random people who just walked into the airport, I can't say I blame them. A job like this comes with the responsibility of being alert and attentive. If you really need to be babysat in order to do your job, you may not be the best person to be entrusted with responsibility like this where public safety is at stake.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:17 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
KazChasey, yours is the best post in this thread, in my opinion.

I have to believe the people who justify this kind of thing are fellow slackers.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:27 PM

399 posts, read 407,069 times
Quote:
This is how I would handle this if I were the manager.

"Dude, I don't want to be a jerk and it may same silly
So now enforcing the rules = "being a jerk". No wonder kids think it's cool to break the rules. Who wants to be a jerk and, you know, actually follow all those "silly" company policies?
Quote:
they are strict about this stuff here.
Of course. The mythical "They". Not you, the manager. You're one of the cool ones who sees through the bulls**t and realizes that all these policies are silly, but you're a realist so you know that one has to keep up appearances to appease They.
Quote:
It's an airport.
Great clarification. You never want to overestimate the intelligence of those you're in charge of. The dude might've missed the 40 signs on his bus ride in to work and thought he was at Disneyland.
Quote:
Please don't put me in the position of catching you again, because I'm really supposed to write you up and send you home
"You didn't do what you were supposed to do, so I'm not gonna do what I'm supposed to do, but so help me God if you don't do what you're supposed to do next time I'll have to do what I'm supposed to do." Way to set the standard, champ!
Quote:
which I'll have to do next time even though I really don't want to.
"I really don't wanna follow company policy either. It's all a bunch of BS from the suits upstairs, but I got a rent payment due and they're really twisting my arm about these rules. Just play along and I got your back... You wanna catch a movie after I get off?"
Quote:
I know you probably didn't realize it was such a big deal here, so I'll let it go."
"You've been told repeatedly it's not okay but you realize it's all BS from the man upstairs. I get that cuz I'm cool like you. F**k the system, right bruh?! I got your back but I really need this money so don't put me in a spot where I gotta do something."

You're a joke. You couldn't manage a puppet show at a school for the blind.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:35 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Maybe it would be appropriate to get 4 or 5 warnings in elementary school, but a business and its supervisors don't really have time to keep track of multiple willful infractions or to coddle employees who cannot or will not observe clearly stated and easily understood requirements
If supervisors don't have time to keep track of infractions, then they aren't doing their jobs. Employee files containing information of that nature should always be up to date. If I had direct reports, I would question a supervisor's competence and personnel management if they don't have the time to keep track of infractions or write-ups.

Quote:
If someone is not mature enough to exercise the discipline the employer is asking for, then that employee probably should be starting out in the hamburger-related industry.
Or maybe they're super brilliant and their skills are best suited in a high paying professional job where the focus is results and you're treated like an adult, and not how good you are at avoiding your phone or internet.

Quote:
That might give him or her the opportunity to acquire some maturity and learn to shed the kind all-consuming self absorption that is really only acceptable in kindergartners.
Or hopefully pursue a better employer.

Quote:
The requirement to refrain from personal cellphone use was apparently clearly stated at the beginning of the OP's employment. If he or she felt the requirements of the job were unreasonable or beyond his or her ability or desire to follow, the opportunity for a no-fault departure was then. Having consented to the terms of the job and accepted the responsibility for complying, the burden is then on the employee to follow through.
I wish the airport the best of luck finding a perfect human being who will never once break that rule particularly in the 21st century.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
If supervisors don't have time to keep track of infractions, then they aren't doing their jobs. Employee files containing information of that nature should always be up to date. If I had direct reports, I would question a supervisor's competence and personnel management if they don't have the time to keep track of infractions or write-ups.
Obviously posted by someone who doesn't manage.

The key word is WILLFUL. As a manager, I have much more important stuff to do than babysit someone who willfully disobeys simple black-and-white policies. I'm a manager, not a babysitter. It's absolutely not the same as a write-up for a legitimate job performance issue, on an interpersonal issue between staffpeople. So, that said, in this case it should be as simple as "use your phone once? Twice? Good bye." Not forcing his manager to write up lengthy reports...a simple check mark would do nicely.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:45 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Obviously posted by someone who doesn't manage.

The key word is WILLFUL. As a manager, I have much more important stuff to do than babysit someone who willfully disobeys simple black-and-white policies. I'm a manager, not a babysitter. It's absolutely not the same as a write-up for a legitimate job performance issue, on an interpersonal issue between staffpeople. So, that said, in this case it should be as simple as "use your phone once? Twice? Good bye." Not forcing his manager to write up lengthy reports...a simple check mark would do nicely.
Ironically, it seems like managers who talk about how they hate babysitting tend to micromanage the most. Also, your simple check mark sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen: I hope your termination process and documentation is more than a check mark.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Also, your simple check mark sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen: I hope your termination process and documentation is more than a check mark.
It does, but it shouldn't have to. When your job has a very clear, established, no cell-phone policy it's not open to interpretation. OP was caught cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment