Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 05:52 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,925,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
I didn't say that. AKA 'strawman argument'.
I said companies don't lose money, certainly not 10 million dollars, because their employees check their cel phones every now and again. It is asinine to argue that employees cannot do their job and look at their cel phones every now and again.

But really, I think you know what I meant.
I am sooo sorry you failed basic math.... Because a company can and does lose Millions when the employees stop their job to check their phones....

Example.... This is with a small company.. It gets larger with the more employees you have....

Company has 10,000 employees...
Each is paid $10 an hour.....
Each works 40 hours a week...
This adds up to $4,000,000 in payroll a week...
Which is $208,000,000 a year

Now say that half of them (5,000) check their phones for 10 minutes every couple of hours...
That is 40 minutes a day (of which they are NOT working BUT being paid) which is $6.80 of their hourly rate multiplied by 5,000 which equals $34,000
Take this and multiply by 52 weeks and you get $1,768,000 which is a lot for a small company...

Now this is just a guesstimate as maybe more employees check their phone or maybe spend a little more time.. Or maybe they are paid more, etc, etc, But you get the idea...

Take a company with 1,000,000 employees and it is now $17,680,000 lost which is MORE than 10 million....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 05:55 PM

21,716 posts, read 24,949,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
That's ^^ your lesson if you want to stay unemployed.

If you want to earn a paycheck, your lesson is that you follow the rules.

It's not up to you to decide "when it's OK." They told you when you were hired that it's never OK. There are no other conditions. Even if you THINK no one is watching, YOU KNOW the rules. If you cannot be trusted to even follow the one simple rule, you should not be in that position.
That's why I'm self-employed

Old 10-28-2014, 05:56 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,934,632 times
News flash, OP. Rules apply to you. Learn a lesson-follow every rule next time..every day.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:57 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,103,864 times
[quote=turner23x;37056613]No ive learned my lesson. You have to shut up, stay in line and take it up the behind[/QUOTE]

This is the exact attitude that will hinder your progress with employment opportunities and advancement.

All you need to do is follow the established rules that I'm sure were explained in great detail when you were hired.
If you choose to not follow the rules and get written up then learn the lesson the first time and do not break the same rule within a couple weeks.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:58 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,750,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Talk about the punishment not fitting the crime! I don't share the viewpoint of the others...maybe you made a small mistake, but it's ridiculous that they would send you home over something so silly.
This brings up an interesting point: perhaps there is a legitimate reason for not using a cell phone in particular areas at the airport, perhaps for security reasons? I don't know, I'm asking.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:00 PM

15,051 posts, read 10,043,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turner23x View Post
OP here. The first write up wasnt about the cell phone. It was about some other thing. IMO the first write up was also about something minor but it was a write up none the less

I want to add that i work for an airport in nyc, where security is very important as someone here mentioned. I work for a customer service/security type of company and we are contractors to the airport. The people that actually run the airport terminal were the ones that caught me. They then contacted the supervisors of the company I work for and let them know i had a cell phone out. That's what made this whole thing a big deal
Sorry to hear about what happened but it looks like you are taking the whole situation with maturity.... good for you!

Face it head on... learn from it... don't make excuses... don't make light of company policy. I would assume that if "something" happened as a result of someone not paying attention on the job, the manager's neck on the line... or even the company's contract with the airport.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:19 PM

18,529 posts, read 15,510,571 times
Quote:
I work doing customer service at an airport. One of their policies is not to have your cell out while working. Well, they caught me today with my cell out and sent me home. They also took my job-issued ID and told me not to come in tomorrow (They told me to call the head boss tomorrow). Im still new to the job and i already have one other write-up. I feel like crap knowing its pretty much over.

edit: i've been there almost 3 months now.
Start looking for another job and figure out how to explain yourself to your interviewer...

Old 10-28-2014, 06:47 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,773,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk31088 View Post
This thread tells me a couple of things about the OP:

1. He/She is very young
2. They're EXTREMELY immature

For some reason this last generation of kids has come out and they've been taught that the rules don't apply to them or they only apply if THEY think it's important enough to follow. There's no respect for rules that are rules just because they're rules and they don't like to be told their wrong nor do they actually appreciate being held accountable for their actions.

I mean honestly, in your first 90 days in your job you're already written up and in that same period of time you've violated the rules TWICE? No, you wouldn't have a job with me either. Sounds to me like you need to be self employed or someone failed MISERABLY at teaching you this thing called DISCIPLINE.
I've been against the OP's actions from the beginning, and I still think he was in the wrong, but this is something I am adamant about. Stop assuming everyone of a generation is the same. I can rail whatever generation you belong to about a bunch of stereotypes, but most of them probably won't apply to you either.

If you seriously think everyone born over the last 20 years is identical,then you really need to get out in the world.

I don't disagree with you stance as it pertains to the OP. But learn that not everyone of that age is the same.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:50 PM

981 posts, read 1,617,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk31088 View Post

For some reason this last generation of kids has come out and they've been taught that the rules don't apply to them or they only apply if THEY think it's important enough to follow. There's no respect for rules that are rules just because they're rules and they don't like to be told their wrong nor do they actually appreciate being held accountable for their actions.

Says every generation ever about the generation that comes after it. News flash: everyone breaks rules regardless of age. There was a no cellphone policy at my last job. Who did I see breaking it more often? Older workers.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:52 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,458,197 times
Quote:
I work doing customer service at an airport. One of their policies is not to have your cell out while working. Well, they caught me today with my cell out and sent me home. They also took my job-issued ID and told me not to come in tomorrow (They told me to call the head boss tomorrow). Im still new to the job and i already have one other write-up. I feel like crap knowing its pretty much over.

edit: i've been there almost 3 months now.
Sorry to hear that If you get the chance, try to explain your situation, that you won't do it again, and actually follow up with that. I rather loathe places where they're very controlling about that. There are exceptions, such as highly secure areas, or when a rush/crunch time occurs, but I can understand some companies would rather have more stringent rules that to have someone over-abuse such privileges. However, the places that do show employees flexibility are typically the ones where they can expect employees to return the favor. Push come to shove, you need to do what you need to in the end to maintain your income stream. As depressing as it is, you should be job hunting even when you do have a job locked down, as sometimes, a layoff can be right around corner even if everything did seem to be going smoothly.

I've pretty much been only in office settings. When I worked in retail, smartphones weren't out yet, so I didn't even have the chance to do that. I have had to grow more disciplined even in office work, as I'm sure not to spend too much time looking at it to give the impression I'm more professional (kind of a double standard, but when a person of higher authority or deals with more work contacts does it, he's checking his schedules and notifications ).

Another annoying observation is it's the people who got caught that gets in trouble, not the ones who do it the most and find ways to hide it. For one of my previous positions, I was told a coworker made a big stink when he didn't get the cubicle in the back (had a dad that was a partner in our parent company, so he had this level of influence). Pretty much, he used his workstation for more than a few moments of non-work related material, and texted and played games on his iPhone a lot. Some would argue "why don't you pay attention to yourself and not him?". Well, it's kind of hard NOT to notice the music from Plants Vs. Zombies, him asking the guy next to him about stuff to use for Words With Friends, random YouTube videos playing, and that same guy about advice of him emailing his girlfriend. Some people have it better made. Make sure you don't get caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment