Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 06:01 PM

31 posts, read 45,901 times

Advertisements

I'm currently working in a temp-to-perm position that's directly through the employer (no agency involved). They said they are doing this to make sure the employee is a good fit and my offer letter says that after a 3-month probationary period is 'successfully completed', my employment may be extended. If extended, I will be a salaried employee, but currently I am paid hourly. Because of this, I am wary about working overtime without asking permission, as I know some companies don't like paying for it and the handbook said to make sure it is approved. Today, instead of just leaving at 5 (my schedule is 8:30-5, half an hour unpaid lunch), I asked the HR manager if she needed me to stay longer to work on things. She said it could wait and that I could go. I don't want to seem eager to leave, but I also don't want to get in trouble for staying later without asking. What would you do in my situation?

Sorry for the novel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 06:06 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa30 View Post
I'm currently working in a temp-to-perm position that's directly through the employer (no agency involved). They said they are doing this to make sure the employee is a good fit and my offer letter says that after a 3-month probationary period is 'successfully completed', my employment may be extended. If extended, I will be a salaried employee, but currently I am paid hourly. Because of this, I am wary about working overtime without asking permission, as I know some companies don't like paying for it and the handbook said to make sure it is approved. Today, instead of just leaving at 5 (my schedule is 8:30-5, half an hour unpaid lunch), I asked the HR manager if she needed me to stay longer to work on things. She said it could wait and that I could go. I don't want to seem eager to leave, but I also don't want to get in trouble for staying later without asking. What would you do in my situation?

Sorry for the novel!
You did the right thing by asking. There is a way to leave on top and there is a way that makes it look like you are bolting out the door. If you should stop at 5 PM, for now during your probation period, don't start getting ready to leave until 5 PM, so that you actual leave at 5:05 or 5:10. This way it will show you aren't trying to bolt out the door, because employees that do that have usually stopped working at 4:45PM and are just sitting there purse on the desk or with their coat on looking at the clock to leave exactly at 5 PM.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Leaving right on the dot every day may look bad if noticed but it's really just clock-watching. Working overtime without being authorized is a violation of company policy, as it is in most places. Even if I have left, my people can text me and ask if they need to stay late, but that would be rare, most of the time I know what the urgent work is and authorize it ahead of time.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:20 PM

981 posts, read 1,620,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
You did the right thing by asking. There is a way to leave on top and there is a way that makes it look like you are bolting out the door. If you should stop at 5 PM, for now during your probation period, don't start getting ready to leave until 5 PM, so that you actual leave at 5:05 or 5:10. This way it will show you aren't trying to bolt out the door, because employees that do that have usually stopped working at 4:45PM and are just sitting there purse on the desk or with their coat on looking at the clock to leave exactly at 5 PM.
I disagree with this. If the managers are that blind to your work effort that they think you are cheating them on time by leaving when you are supposed to, then your entire existence at that job comes down to whether or not you are chummy with them.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:12 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I have never worked for a place that allows employees to work OT without permission, so you did what you should have done.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:32 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Make it known to HR and/or the manager in the department, that you're more than willing to work additional hours if needed, but will only do so if directed so you're not working unauthorized hours.

I would start to get ready a few moments before 5pm and leave at 5:00 or a couple of minutes after that. If you leave at 5:10 every day, that's an additional 50 minutes at the end of the week, and that may be perceived poorly.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:01 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
Ask your immediate supervisor instead of HR

Old 10-30-2014, 08:56 AM

23 posts, read 22,571 times
asking if they needed help after hour allotted 8 hours of work is appropriate....

if they have not interest in paying you for your overtime, leave on the dot. what i did/do is that i'd finish/stop at a good point, and work no more then 15-20 mins past the 8 hour clock. on the other hand, if they pay for the overtime, and say in a week's time a total of like 2 hrs overtime are worked, I should be paid for the extra time.

other than that, once that 8hr/8hr 15 min mark comes around, it's time to shut down and head out the door....just saying....

Old 10-30-2014, 09:06 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Definitely the right decision. Erring on the side of caution is smart in this situation! I hope it turns into a permanent position!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment