Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 07:30 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,443,499 times

Advertisements

Hey Guy, you are totally unrealistic...If you want to live off the land then live with your parents for about 3-5 years or less...and work your ass off....save all the money you can and buy yourself a piece of land where you can build your own cabin or buy a yert....if you aren't willing to do a damn thing then don't expect ANYONE else to do it for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,079 times
.My brother just like you. Never wanted anything in life. Somehow he lived with women, cars, fathered three kids, none of whom his supported, and now at 64 all he does is complain about medical care, enough food at the end of the month, and always looking for handouts.

Can hardly believe we're related, but you'll get in life what you put forth.

Good luck to you.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:37 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody23 View Post
i really don't want to do anything, i like working out, playing games/guitar, don't want kids, big house, expensive car i just want a carefree life where i only have to worry about myself and what i want to do. no bills, kids, responsibility's to worry about

that's why i want a van so i don't have to pay 1000$ rent and work 50 hours a week, i told them all this, that i want a really minimalist lifestyle but they don't understand.

that's why i cant go to college, i don't want 50,000$ debt to have to pay back
You forgot to add girlfriend/wife to the list of things you dont want because honestly you'll never get one. Its simple really you're just lazy. I can see not wanting to go to college (sorta), but saying you don't want to work and live off welfare just means youre a self centered lazy bum. Get off your butt and get a job.

P.s.- Good luck buying you're van, fod, clothes, etc. With your 0/yr. income..not to mention health needs..

Old 10-30-2014, 08:52 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,364 times
I don't know why your parents are suggesting college. 1.2 GPA should not even be allowed into any college. I don't even think they will let someone with grades that bad into the military. I'd stick with the van idea.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:07 PM

659 posts, read 940,564 times
Work at a call center, as a janitor, a security guard, retail... those are easy jobs to get. Try to work your way up so that you have good experience for the future in case you need to pick up and move elsewhere. It sounds like you just want freedom to find yourself.

I think you'll have better luck working somewhere and busting your butt off for 3-4 years while saving up money and then buying a one way ticket to Asia, South America, or Europe and just backpack/travel while picking up odd jobs.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:20 PM

You could go to north dakota, live in your van, and make 28 bucks an hour doing some gnarly work on the oil fields.

The schedule is usually 20 days on, 10 days off.

My really dumb buddy from high school does that now and he does ok. He used to be a bum and minor criminal. I think that is as good as it will get for a guy in your situation.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:31 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
You will need money to buy the van. More money for gas. More money for insurance. More money for oil changes, brake jobs, tires, maintenance, etc. Where are you going to go to the bathroom? Take a shower? Wash your clothes? You will have to buy food. Where are you going to keep cold food? How are you going to heat food? Fast food gets expensive (and is bad for you). In a van, you have no running water. You have to pay for medical insurance. Clothes. Shoes. Toiletries. Your games. Guitar strings. By games, I assume you mean like PS4 or Xbox, etc. What are you going to play that on in a van? How are you going to buy these games?

Time to grow up. Either get a job or get an education and do something constructive.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:32 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Just an opinion here... You're parents waited way too long to start "nagging" you.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:31 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,443,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
You could go to north dakota, live in your van, and make 28 bucks an hour doing some gnarly work on the oil fields.

The schedule is usually 20 days on, 10 days off.

My really dumb buddy from high school does that now and he does ok. He used to be a bum and minor criminal. I think that is as good as it will get for a guy in your situation.
He Rzzzzz, Do you have any idea what type of work your friend does? How physical is it?

Old 10-30-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
He Rzzzzz, Do you have any idea what type of work your friend does? How physical is it?
Yes. He does hydrovac tank cleaning for an environmental services company. It's pretty physical, he has to hold a gigantic vacuum hose and sometimes climb around in big tanks. I should say he is from North Dakota, though. So he knew what he was getting himself into.

Last edited by rzzzz; 10-30-2014 at 10:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment