Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 07:21 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,312,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
You need a BSN for these types of jobs.
Oh, well... I was going by what my state (Georgia) requires to teach health sciences in jr. high/high school. All they want is an Associate's degree in a healthcare related field, license in healthcare related field, and a minimum of 2 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 07:40 PM

162 posts, read 305,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I have been an RN for almost 25 years and I need to get out of healthcare ASAP. I am struggling with anxiety and depression over this because I just need to be done and I can't take it anymore. I just want a simple job where someone's life is not in my hands every time I go to work.

I have started applying at the large anchor stores at our local mall such as JCPenney, Dillard's. and Macy's. I realize that I will have to take a large pay cut, but I am not trained to do anything except nursing and I have to get out. I have job hopped for the past five years (three jobs in five years) trying desperately to find a job that I can stand so that I can make it to retirement age, but it ain't happening. Does anyone know if a middle-aged, burned out RN would be considered for retail positions at the mall?

Please don't laugh, this is really what I want to do. I cannot express how burned out I am.
OMG! This EXACTLY describes me! Also an RN of 25 years, job-hopped, burnt-out depressed. I've even considered working at the local Humane Society for minimum wage. I'm also working towards a degree in a completely non-health related field in the hope of finding a career that can fulfill me...after all, I still have many years of work in me. Unfortunately, school costs money so I have to keep nursing to pay for it.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:03 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,932,147 times
I fully understand. I have 35+ years myself.

Unfortunately, most jobs in medical offices are for med assts, not RNs, & RN jobs in other venues like schools, corporations, pharm sales, etc., are few & far between. Plus they nowadays require minimum of BSN or even MSN. Nurse practitioners are soon going to have to have doctorates. (DH is a CRNA, & may not even be "grandfathered in", as he holds an anesthesia diploma--they didn't award many Masters of Anesthesia in the mid 70s when he graduated).

We old school ADN & Diploma RNs are going the way of dinosaurs. Good luck to you.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:39 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,815,355 times
Quote:
I have been an RN for almost 25 years and I need to get out of healthcare ASAP. I am struggling with anxiety and depression over this because I just need to be done and I can't take it anymore. I just want a simple job where someone's life is not in my hands every time I go to work.
It sounds like you've been working in acute care. I can't even imagine doing that. I'm an RN too (35+ years), and got out of acute care at about 20 years ago, and transitioned into business nursing. These days, there are many good jobs available for nurses like you. And they are far less stressful. BSN/MN are not required. I highly suggest you look into the payor side.

There are a tons of jobs available that you could easily do, and still retain a fantastic salary & job satisfaction. You could do prior-authorization for surgery & other special procedures or DME. Or concurrent review, or case management. Then there is post payment review either on the professional side (MD's, chiro, etc) or facilities. In post payment review, care has already been rendered, so our decisions are not life or death. There is also work comp either working in the field or in an office setting. That is a super cushy job and makes for an easy transition out of acute care. There are also auditing jobs. Check AAMAS - CMAS Certification for job opportunities.

My company does not hire out of state nurses, otherwise, I would suggest you check out our website. My company is now big into work from home, so I work part time in the office, and part time at home. It is awesome. I know there are other payers elsewhere that offer the same type of flexibility.

If you would like any other more specific ideas, please PM me as I can help.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:48 PM

271 posts, read 425,790 times
are you the primary breadwinner of your family? if so i think working in retail would be difficult. if i were you, i wouldn't even list the month long job on your resume. my husband also did this, job hopped a bit and he didn't include the one month stint he did in one company and it was fine.

for my life insurance policy, i had a nurse come and take my vitals. she said she gets paid very well for this part time work. or i have seen medical transcription positions that specifically asked for someone with a nursing background. something to consider?

Old 11-03-2014, 02:30 AM

188 posts, read 661,677 times
I've been a nurse for about 100 years.. :P I do have my BSN, but I've been thinking of getting into something completely outside of any direct patient care.. retail? Nah - you still have to deal with PO'd cranky people - and you have much less autonomy in how you deal with these cranky people. How about taking a coding course? That's what I am thinking about doing next.. Or maybe an MBA. :P

Old 11-03-2014, 02:33 AM

14 posts, read 21,348 times
You can do what you tell your mind to do. Senior Assisted Living would be great for you. Go into massage therapy. Try reiki and do it from home. I am 47 and raise my daughter as a single mom and went back to college and just graduated last weekend. I went from being a business barber shop owner to Security. Now I am seeking what god wants from me. Good luck and god bless.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:29 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,283,793 times
Thanks for all of the great replies and suggestions! I wish I had time to reply to each of you specifically, but I did get some great ideas here and I am going to look into several of them.

For the folks who question if I could live on a lower wage or if I am the breadwinner in my family, I covered that in post #5 of this thread. Add to what I posted there that our house is paid off except for a small equity loan against it. We would be okay financially if I took a position with lower pay. Being an RN with an annual salary of around $60,000 plus mileage, I know I will have to take a cut. The point is, though, that the mental and emotional gain of getting out of acute care nursing will more than make up for it.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:47 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,335,022 times
Quote:

I have started applying at the large anchor stores at our local mall such as JCPenney, Dillard's. and Macy's. I realize that I will have to take a large pay cut, but I am not trained to do anything except nursing and I have to get out. I have job hopped for the past five years (three jobs in five years) trying desperately to find a job that I can stand so that I can make it to retirement age, but it ain't happening. Does anyone know if a middle-aged, burned out RN would be considered for retail positions at the mall?

Please don't laugh, this is really what I want to do. I cannot express how burned out I am.

I feel for you. I was in healthcare as an RN 20+ yrs. I feel like it's been longer since I earned a MSN along the way. I don't think people recognize what's involved with the work and question the desire to get out. I never discovered how to balance work/pleasure so what I did was work my tail off for 20+ yrs with lots of 12+ hr days, 6-day work weeks.

Fortunately I "paid myself first" from day one and invested wisely to allow me to step out of the field. I believe you can serve society as I did for a shorter time (over 2 decades) then back out and hopefully not feel the guilt of being less productive.

The only thing I can recommend is possibly looking for other nursing specialties (example school nursing or teaching in a community college nursing program if you have your bachelors' degree) - or find a niche in your field that is less demanding other than inpatient care in a hospital (if that's what you're doing). Or find part time work in a less demanding nursing job (doctor's office?).

Old 11-03-2014, 05:23 AM

130 posts, read 296,588 times
OP, look into epidemiology/disease surveillance positions at health departments. These are low stress and pay more than retail. They can use your RN expertise as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment