Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 08:46 AM

435 posts, read 635,213 times

Advertisements

My mom made $18 an hour selling jewelry at Dillard's, but this wasn't her starting pay. She had to work up to over several years.

Furniture salespeople in department stores earn good money. So do electronics salespeople. The only problem is, its slightly harder for women to get these sales positions in these departments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 12:11 AM

96 posts, read 125,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Take the dialysis job.

After making 60K, a minimum wage salary is going to depress you. Catering to the public and being on your feet all day is going to seem much less appealing when you're bringing home peanuts in exchange for all the stress, fatigue, long hours, and working holiday, evenings, weekends, and irregular hours.
I politely disagree. A burned out nurse should NEVER go dialysis route. That is the McDonalds of the nursing industry. Extremely fast paced, 16+hours on your feet, etc.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:32 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
OP, any updates? Did you take the JCP job or another retailer? It's peak time for holiday work hiring.

If you have any office admin/mgmt. skills, you should register with a recruiter for career changing jobs, maybe something administrative in a healthcare setting.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:29 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
OP, any updates? Did you take the JCP job or another retailer? It's peak time for holiday work hiring.

If you have any office admin/mgmt. skills, you should register with a recruiter for career changing jobs, maybe something administrative in a healthcare setting.
I didn't take the JCP job, because when I called them back on two different occasions to discuss the job and possibly set up an interview (they had left a VM message on my phone expressing an interest in me so I never actually spoke to the hiring manager), I was put on hold endlessly, got patched around to different numbers within the store, or was told that the gentleman who called me was not in at the moment, and I never did get a chance to talk to him or set up an interview. That concerned me a bit, so I didn't pursue it any further.

I have an interview at a beautiful, newer Dillard's store in my area tomorrow. On the one hand, I think it would be awesome to work somewhere that is not in a healthcare setting, but OTOH, I realize that the general public is not necessarily going to be any nicer in the retail setting and that it's hard work for a lot less pay.

I'm still applying at a few nursing jobs as well, and I'm thinking that if I work part-time in nursing it would be much more tolerable. I guess I'll see what happens. the idea of working in an office isn't a bad one, but I want to avoid the M-F 8-5 routine. I like having days off during the week to get things done around the house. Maybe if I could find a part-time office job that would be just the ticket.

Thanks for asking.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:26 PM

118 posts, read 157,280 times
I'm an RN too, for the past 45 years and obviously I'm rapidly approaching retirement. I began my career in Michigan (where I was born & raised) at Beaumont Hospital when it was much smaller than it's present size.

My heart goes out to you, it is so awful to feel trapped between the pressures of the demanding physical work, the relentless administration and demanding public. Many times I have walked out the door and said "That's it, i'm never coming back"

I am still in acute care (NICU) and no I don't sit and rock babies. We are an ICU in every sense, vents, arterial lines, drips, etc. I continue to enjoy the challenge, but in recent years I've been able to let the demands of administration, the public, etc roll off my back a lot better. I kinda hear all the negatives the same way the kids on the "Charlie Brown" specials hear the parents.. Waaack, Waaack, ... I smile and continue to enjoy the reason I became a nurse, to do hands on care of my tiny patients. The visitors & administration leave eventually! (Usually pretty fast)

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Enjoy your beautiful fall weather. Go out and walk in those wonderful smelling leaves, boy, do I miss that!

Old 11-12-2014, 08:12 PM

435 posts, read 635,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeMan View Post
You are about to be fired. What did you do?
And you know this how?????

Old 11-12-2014, 08:32 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I have been an RN for almost 25 years and I need to get out of healthcare ASAP. I am struggling with anxiety and depression over this because I just need to be done and I can't take it anymore. I just want a simple job where someone's life is not in my hands every time I go to work.

I have started applying at the large anchor stores at our local mall such as JCPenney, Dillard's. and Macy's. I realize that I will have to take a large pay cut, but I am not trained to do anything except nursing and I have to get out. I have job hopped for the past five years (three jobs in five years) trying desperately to find a job that I can stand so that I can make it to retirement age, but it ain't happening. Does anyone know if a middle-aged, burned out RN would be considered for retail positions at the mall?

Please don't laugh, this is really what I want to do. I cannot express how burned out I am.
You don't need to take min wage to work in retail. There are office jobs that require RN, also there are jobs were you drive to visit sick people to give em shot. You can be on administrative side of helthcare.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:22 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I have been an RN for almost 25 years and I need to get out of healthcare ASAP. I am struggling with anxiety and depression over this because I just need to be done and I can't take it anymore. I just want a simple job where someone's life is not in my hands every time I go to work.

I have started applying at the large anchor stores at our local mall such as JCPenney, Dillard's. and Macy's. I realize that I will have to take a large pay cut, but I am not trained to do anything except nursing and I have to get out. I have job hopped for the past five years (three jobs in five years) trying desperately to find a job that I can stand so that I can make it to retirement age, but it ain't happening. Does anyone know if a middle-aged, burned out RN would be considered for retail positions at the mall?

Please don't laugh, this is really what I want to do. I cannot express how burned out I am.
I can only tell you from MY personal experience, but when I was going through similar situation, but for different reasons, I couldn't get any job interview outside of my field! I was shocked, but even Wally World, on the night shift (I'm a night person, anyhow) wouldn't call me to interview. I finally, found the night Mgr and point-blank ASKED him what the deal was. He told me I'd not be happy in a 'menial job' like stocking the shelves after being a medical professional for my whole career. He said there was no point in wasting either of our time doing any interviewing and asked if I realized the type of pay CUT I would also have to take to do such jobs (even their lady Asst Mgr positions).
I ended up doing something else that I love and have not looked back! It was a great 'gig' for many years, but the changes in both Nursing and Medicine as a whole in the past 10 yrs makes it VERY difficult for those of us, who have been around since the dinosaurs roamed, to hurry up and retire. I always wondered, as a young, new RN, WHY hospitals would move their old 'dinosaur' RNs to places in the basements like Central Supply, etc (I began my career in 1969 in a large metropolis). I totally understand now....but SMH. I wish you the best and hope you find something you LOVE and not LOATHE.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:12 PM

188 posts, read 662,635 times
Nurse for a zillion years here - I work office/outpatient and currently do only per diem days so I can adjust my schedule as needed. It helps keep me out of politics and I get paid a few pennies more.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:18 PM

491 posts, read 471,556 times
LOL...don't work retail!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment