Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 12:08 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,835,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Between the internet and robotics I think retail is going to be phased out in the next five to ten years. Malls are dying and some chains are gradually dying (sears and radio shack).

Are you in a union?

I'd hate to say it but much of the time someones life is in everyones hands all the time. When I worked in retail we were shown a number of safety videos because people DID die in our competitors. Accidents happen. At one point someone put pool chemicals right above fertilizer. It leaked creating an explosion and fire in a store down south.

Perhaps you could learn medical coding and work for one of the companies of it (Epic or Meditech)
EPIC trainer would be a great job! You get to travel to client sites, teach classes or, work as a concierge type trainer. Of course that's still the med field but not pt. responsibility. But if you are not tech savvy or have not been using an EMR system, then it's doubtful you could enter the field. I do get why you'd want out of the field. Since ACA, it has changed medicine.

My friend's daughter in law who was a corporate HR mgr had a p/t job at Nordstrom's in the shoe dept. She made great commission and loved the work and the company. Is there one near you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 12:13 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,900,389 times
After years in Nursing I know I would want any job where I wasn't on my feet all the time!

Old 11-03-2014, 12:42 PM

13,623 posts, read 12,239,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I already have dialysis skills, so it wouldn't be as stressful as other types of nursing for me, and I could work 30 hours a week and still make a lot more than I would at JCPenney working 40 hours a week. But...it's a nursing job again, albeit it an outpatient one with set hours, no Sundays, and closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas...what to do, what to do????
I think you would like that option a lot more than retail.

Otherwise, you could look at being a pharma rep. Better pay than retail, better schedule, similar stress levels.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:51 PM

16,446 posts, read 19,462,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
The point is, though, that the mental and emotional gain of getting out of acute care nursing will more than make up for it.
My wife got a super well paying job at a (unbeknownst at the time) sketchy mortgage lender. She was making BANK for awhile. But she was miserable. Crying a lot over the BS she had to deal with. One day, she comes home and tells me her previous job wanted her back but that it would be a substantial pay cut.
She asked if we could afford that. I said "I cannot afford to have you crying over your job anymore, you call them right now and TAKE THAT JOB!".
She did and was so much happier.

So I say go for it. You can easily find work in retail. The #1 thing retailers want in an employee is someone that is good with people. Being an RN I'd hire you in a second for my retail shop.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:42 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,261,753 times
I think you have other alternatives, but I also think any retail store would be more than happy to have you on its staff. With your experience juggling responsibilities, you would probably be made a manager very quickly.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:02 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,186,268 times
Here are some Nursing jobs to look into that are not clinical.

We have a designer that works with our hospital. She was an RN at another hospital that was going thru a remodel. They asked her to be part of a team that would pick out the design for many of the rooms. She loved it so much that she started her own business. It turns out that hospitals like having her as a consultant because she has been in the Nursing trenches and knows her way around a hospital.

Construction companies that build medical facilities will hire an RN to work with them. Same as above, they want someone to consult mostly.

We have a team hear made up of mostly RN's that work to bring money into the hospital thru reimbursements. Under the ACA many patients become observation only and the pay out is 25% of what it would be for an actual patient, with the healthcare workers providing the same level of care. These RN's work to show medicare and other insurance providers why the care was justified, so we can get the rest of the money.

I know of RN's that have left to work with drug companies or other medical related products companies. More of a consultant basis, using what you know to make money.

We have several programs that they started here at the hospital that are non clinical but require an RN. Our Health aware program has three RN's working there that are more for educational purposes than clinical work. We have maybe 6 non clinical groups here that are run by RN's without the clinical component.

I would be looking around first before jumping ship completly.

With so many opportunites out there for someone that is an RN I would be looking into something non clinical

Old 11-03-2014, 02:24 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,859,841 times
I completely agree with all of the previous poster's about looking around before completely resigning from Nursing. I'm an RN, I completely get it. You have many years of experience under your belt, use that to your advantage. Retail is not easy work, you're still dealing with the public and corporate paper pushers which can be frustrating, regardless if it's nursing, retail, etc. I know many of the jobs people have mentioned transitioning into require BSN's, and if your burnt out, the last thing you need is to go back to school while you're unhappy.

Nursing used to be a respectable job, but many days I feel like an underpaid drug dealer/waitress. Very frustrating, indeed. But I focus on trying to make a difference, albeit small at times, in somebody's day. I wish you much luck in your journey.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:30 PM

917 posts, read 1,374,075 times
Try calling insurance companies. I believe they hire RN's to work at a call center whenever a customer calls with a health question..

Old 11-03-2014, 03:55 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,250,886 times
Well, this is what has transpired today: I got calls from both of the "Big Two" dialysis companies, one of which I worked for recently and would not have to go through most of the orientation with, both are 30 hour/week positions, outpatient (so we can send the patients home when they're done), regular hours, good benefits, no Sundays, and no major holidays like Christmas or Thanksgiving. Then, JCPenney called about a position at our local mall.

The thing about the JCPenney position is, I wonder if it would be like 60 hours a week during the holidays then cut way back in January after things die off. I don't know if major retailers like this honor their full-time hours that they hire you with or just indiscriminately cut back and tough luck if you don't get full-time hours anymore. It seems I have heard of that happening.

At least with dialysis, while it is still nursing, the hours are steady and the patients don't stop coming.

Thinking it over...and thanks for all of the fantastic suggestions too!

Old 11-03-2014, 05:35 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,908,719 times
Dialysis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment