Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 08:40 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
They still need to file in those states where they played. It is quite an issue in pro sports. Each player can easily have a dozen or more state returns.
Luckily with a minimum salary in the hundreds of thousands they can afford a good tax person!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 08:57 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,736,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
No it is not, it is based on where they make the money, pro athletes pay taxes to every state and some cities that they play in, then they get a credit for taxes paid to other states on their tax return for the state they officially live in.
I stand corrected.

Even so, they're still making a lot more money than about 99% of Americans after taxes. So I'm not sure why their tax situation was brought up in the first place...

Old 11-03-2014, 09:02 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,711,653 times
OP seems to want instant gratification rather than a stable 40 year career. Not much we can do about that.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:04 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,195,956 times
What percentage of college dropouts are making 31 dollars an hour?

Old 11-03-2014, 09:08 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,308,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I am pretty sure you are wrong on what your buddy makes being a union welder, I have a client that makes $34 an hour plus per diem of $53 a day for union jobs in Northern Colorado.

I know plumbers that will not work for less than $40 an hour, electricians that make a $100K a year, HVAC techs that make $75K a year. The money is out there for the right blue collar work, but you do have to work your way up to it in most cases.
Well in 2010 he made $28 an hour. We were roommates and studio mates for 6 years. I don't know if he makes more now, or if there are per diems or anything like that. That is great that you know all those guys, though. It must be expensive to keep a house maintained in Colorado.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:26 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
My younger brother just got a construction job that pays $31/hr plus overtime and benefits. Had no experience; got trained on the job. He has flunked out of college multiple times and has a DUI. He has the opportunity to make $38/hr if he reaches the level of "Master Apprentice" or whatever it's called.

Meanwhile, the typical STEM grad is getting paid $15/hr cleaning beakers or typing data into Excel. Maybe $25/hr if they're lucky. It's worth mentioning that they also have to cope with a higher cost of living since they'll move to the cities to get those positions. But hey, it's a small price to pay for getting a "white collar" job where they put their education their work and exploit their "critical thinking skills." lolz

Yea, and my brother is going out partying every weekend, while I'm reading programming books, taking GRE practice tests and trying to build a professional portfolio. All to try and compete for the small number of well-paying white collar jobs in which I will probably be overworked and miserable when I finally get one.
And as usual, your post is dripping with venom, jealousy and sarcasm, which is one of the reasons why you are unemployable. It's not the temp agancies or the dumb hiring managers. You are the common denominator here.

The sooner you get that boulder off your shoulder, the better off you'll be.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:28 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
Well, do you wanna work construction? A lot of people don't.

And it's a very cyclical career. My buddy had a decades-long career in construction, but as soon as the economy went belly up, he was laid off. I haven't seen him in a while, but he hadn't had steady work in a couple of years, and he was in his late 40s. He was losing his house.

It's hard on your body too. Do you want to work all your life and then retire with a body full of aches and pains? Or make one misstep and end up on disability for the rest of your life?

It's not a bad career, and I think it's a better choice than college for many. But don't get in a snit because these guys get paid a lot of money with no degree. There are some major tradeoffs.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:46 AM

917 posts, read 2,004,429 times
well life isn't fair. I got pretty good grades in school and people who got so-so grades are making double what I make. It is what it is.

I understand your frustration but would expect him to turn down a decent paying job just because of his past mistakes?

Old 11-03-2014, 09:49 AM

605 posts, read 669,073 times
Most guys in construction don't make anywhere close to $31 dollars an hour or above unless they have some sort of specialized skill set (ie; electrician, plumber, HVAC, elevator mechanic). I suspect the OP is leaving out a few details.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:55 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,919,476 times
For awhile I was working as sort of an apprentace for a local construction company. I made $800 a week under the table and that was just for training. I think someone who can work with their hands and build things are far more valuable than someone with a liberal arts degree who ends up working for Walmart, making starvation wages and collecting government subsidies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment