Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 08:13 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,205 times

Advertisements

If I were you, I'd use your good past references from good jobs you did with good principals that are honest. I would still collect unemployment. I would explain that you current principal was a two faced manipulative liar, and that her reviews are unjustified. I you have proof that you improved student's test score than that's a big + to you.

In interviews it looks bad (in my opinion anyway) to say you left your last job due to a corrupt principal when you are being interviewed by an administrator. It makes it seem like I'm the one with the problem. - I think this would only be a problem if your next job is with a corrupt system too, then they'd know you don't fit in. I think a good honest principal would understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 08:41 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDFan View Post
I told the association rep that I have a friend in CA (I just wanted to get an answer to this from what she has experienced) who also didn't pass her evaluation and was given a choice of resigning or non renewing and that she selected resigning but still qualified for unemployment due to resigning under duress. My rep said that what she did is against the law in NV (thank goodness I used "my friend" and that the rep cannot share our conversations). I think that may actually be against the law everywhere but it's one of those things where your boss tries to appear somewhat sympathetic giving you that option so that you do have a future in your same career (non-renewal to me would be a red flag if I were interviewing to be honest).
If it is viewed as a constructive discharge, it is not illegal.

Being in a RTW state, you do not have a lot of options. I would, however, go over my contract with a fine-toothed comb and make sure the employer is not violating its own policies as it relates to your evaluations. You should get copies of all personnel policies and become familiar with them. I'd also suggest doing some labor and employment law research. Do you best to reach this person's goals/benchmarks, and make sure you DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. Not documenting every single interaction (especially those you perceive to be harassment/bullying) will ensure you won't have any recourse.

Also, start looking for a new job now. The writing is on the wall.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:48 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
OP, I see you've decided what to do. Good for you. You should still document document document.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:58 PM

847 posts, read 1,351,818 times
What are these domains and artifacts you are referring to? What does that mean?

Old 11-15-2014, 10:26 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
OP, I see you've decided what to do. Good for you. You should still document document document.
Exactly! That's what my mom did with corrupt Principal, and she reported them for that to defend herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
What are these domains and artifacts you are referring to? What does that mean?
Yeah, I never heard of such things either! I couldn't understand her!

Old 11-17-2014, 09:55 AM

142 posts, read 242,359 times
80 artifacts? Good god. This is why I quit teaching. When you're busy doing the actual work, you don't have time for nonsense like that! There's something really foul in the education business. They try to fire people within a few years, because there's always a cheap new grad waiting in the wings. Maybe you should switch into a field where employers are actually looking for competent professionals? In my field, they work hard to reduce turnover, and sign us to 2 year contracts because they don't want us to leave! What a departure from teaching, where they can't show you the door fast enough. Even though you're not a teacher, this applies to you too.

Education is a horrible line of work all over the country. You need to quit and never look back. Sorry to say, but you're going to run into this same situation again. Principals and teachers/aides are advisories these days. No one is concerned about the children anymore.

Last edited by October_Pumpkin; 11-17-2014 at 10:11 AM..

Old 11-17-2014, 10:22 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Posters keep saying the op is in a right to work state, but the op is in a union, so I'm not getting the relevance here.

Do you mean an at will state, where people can be terminated for any reason without having to provide just cause?

Old 11-18-2014, 07:31 PM

42 posts, read 122,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Posters keep saying the op is in a right to work state, but the op is in a union, so I'm not getting the relevance here.

Do you mean an at will state, where people can be terminated for any reason without having to provide just cause?
We have an association- not a union.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:32 PM

42 posts, read 122,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by October_Pumpkin View Post
80 artifacts? Good god. This is why I quit teaching. When you're busy doing the actual work, you don't have time for nonsense like that! There's something really foul in the education business. They try to fire people within a few years, because there's always a cheap new grad waiting in the wings. Maybe you should switch into a field where employers are actually looking for competent professionals? In my field, they work hard to reduce turnover, and sign us to 2 year contracts because they don't want us to leave! What a departure from teaching, where they can't show you the door fast enough. Even though you're not a teacher, this applies to you too.

Education is a horrible line of work all over the country. You need to quit and never look back. Sorry to say, but you're going to run into this same situation again. Principals and teachers/aides are advisories these days. No one is concerned about the children anymore.
What do you do now for work?

Old 11-18-2014, 07:35 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDFan View Post
We have an association- not a union.
Then people are really using the wrong phrase. It's not a right to work state (which involves not forcing employees to join a union or being punitive toward those who won't join a union) - it's an at will state (meaning you can be terminated for any reason without just cause).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment