Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 01:24 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Too late.
I agree.

There is nothing wrong with coming into work and being professional. Being professional is to get along with people there and communicate with them. If you give people the cold shoulder like that as a first impression, you basically screwed yourself over in the work place. The moment there is a problem there, people are going to be watching out for those who are friendly to them, not the d*ck.

The OP is going to have to work triple overtime now to try to win these people back. Your first order of business in a new place should have been to make sure you were socially sensitive to your co-workers. Not everyone shows up at the job every day just for a paycheck, they expect to be treated like they exist and matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 01:36 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
I try not to interact with coworkers. If some tensions occur at work then I would end up dreading to go to work. I'd forget that work is a place to make money to pay bills, and not to socialize. But if you do end up being friends with coworkers, it would only lead to disappointment if one of them gets fired, moves away, quits, or gets promoted instead of you even if they did much less work than you did.

So I understand completely about that situation. But you should be honest with them. Tell them your experiences with other people and they should understand. If they don't, then they are just nosey. Perhaps you already did this but I did not read the other replies to this thread.
Do this and you will never fit in, or be happy with the job. When I managed stores, this is the type of attitude we got rid of people for. When you are not being friendly with your co-workers it shows the same to customers, and will effect the customers and reduce their buying and spending dollars with the store. When you have this attitude, do yourself and the store a favor and quit before you get laid off over your attitude.

A retail store, has groups that work together much differently than many jobs. They need to be friendly with one another, and work well together like any other team. It does not mean you socialize after work, but if you want to be a success at the store, you need to be friendly and outgoing with your co-workers.

What the OP is finding, is the co-workers want him/her to be part of the team, not off by themselves all the time. They are not saying, lets go out for drinks and party after work. What they are saying, is when at work be friendly and associate with us. Retail is more of a team, than most jobs. You need to be friendly with your co-workers, so you will be friendly and outgoing with the customers. I spent over 10 years in retail, and have managed stores, so you are talking about something I know about. I never associated with co-workers outside of work, but at work I was friendly and respected by my work mates, both men and women. Can you imagine a football team, where the players were unfriendly with one another and did not work close together. LOSERS, LOSERS, LOSERS. They would be a losing team. Retail is the same way. Either be friendly with your co-workers at work, or get out of the business.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:43 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I don't blame you, I'm the same way. Nothing good can come out of getting too chummy with people you must remain professional with.
I disagree.

There is a difference between being professional and actually being friends. There are people I've worked with for years and saw them every day. 40+ hours a week for years I saw them. I went to lunch with them, sat in very long meetings with them, worked on projects, etc. But never saw them socially. Never had them to my house and I never went to their home. None of it was necessary because we had a friendly professional relationship. I'd feel comfortable calling any of them years later if needed too.

There's a different relationship with co-workers than if they are actual friends. I only became actual friends with a few co-workers who I shared the same interests with.

Nothing good can come out of giving people the cold shoulder.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:07 AM

756 posts, read 834,021 times
Smile Oh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Do this and you will never fit in, or be happy with the job. When I managed stores, this is the type of attitude we got rid of people for. When you are not being friendly with your co-workers it shows the same to customers, and will effect the customers and reduce their buying and spending dollars with the store. When you have this attitude, do yourself and the store a favor and quit before you get laid off over your attitude.

A retail store, has groups that work together much differently than many jobs. They need to be friendly with one another, and work well together like any other team. It does not mean you socialize after work, but if you want to be a success at the store, you need to be friendly and outgoing with your co-workers.

What the OP is finding, is the co-workers want him/her to be part of the team, not off by themselves all the time. They are not saying, lets go out for drinks and party after work. What they are saying, is when at work be friendly and associate with us. Retail is more of a team, than most jobs. You need to be friendly with your co-workers, so you will be friendly and outgoing with the customers. I spent over 10 years in retail, and have managed stores, so you are talking about something I know about. I never associated with co-workers outside of work, but at work I was friendly and respected by my work mates, both men and women. Can you imagine a football team, where the players were unfriendly with one another and did not work close together. LOSERS, LOSERS, LOSERS. They would be a losing team. Retail is the same way. Either be friendly with your co-workers at work, or get out of the business.
Sorry I was talking about coworkers in general, not just retail. I wouldn't refuse to talk to somebody and I certainly wouldn't refuse to work with people just because I was afraid of me being hurt or them being nosey.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:42 AM

183 posts, read 292,493 times
I believe keeping a distance is the better choice to avoid yourself from relationships at your offices. Its better to be controlled while sympathizing or praising your fellow workers.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
To simply answer the question, yes you are. You're totally devoid of simple social grace and your future path in life is likely to be rather rocky if you can't learn (and enjoy) basic social interaction.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:54 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
I live for being friendly. Once I get used to my surroundings, I'm usually the one cracking jokes.
OP, you don't have to be close friends with your coworkers but being cold isn't the way to go either.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:20 AM

136 posts, read 118,428 times
I must say I don't get why this is so....

So a simple hello is so taxing?

And before anybody says "well I hate small talk.." or "well why do people give a **** about being nice to them"...well they're people. Humans like to be acknowledged, even though for many work is just work and not a place to make friends.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:26 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
That's not what I said at all... I said that when you work with your friends everyone seems to pull their weight because they don't want to be known as a slacker. What I said had nothing to do with the people who don't wish to join in or their work habits. Nor do I think that people who don't wish to engage have a " problem". Each to their own.
I guess I'm trying to understand how being friends with everyone at work equates to one not being perceived as a slacker...

Is that not what you said, or at least implied?

Old 11-07-2014, 08:32 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,171 times
You work with them... you share the same common place and you all virtually do the same job... how can you NOT interact with them?

Do you have to be their friends? Nope...
Do you have to share any of your personal business? Nope...
Do you have to stand there and listen to their personal business? Nope...

But you have to find some middle ground... just be cordial... make small talk or listen to their small talk.

Although... sounds like all that went bye-bye long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment