Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 04:18 PM

93 posts, read 187,779 times

Advertisements

So I work in retail, and my company recently moved me to a new store location, so now I have to work with new people. So the majority of the staff is comprised of women, and today was my second day there, and they all try to approach me and initiate conversation with me, but I give them short responses and don't really give them attention. Then they ask me to hang out with them and I tell them that I don't want to socialize, and they tell me "We just want you to like us." The reason I'm so distant with these people is because I don't want to get close to them. Being distant allows me to put up a wall and prevent myself from getting hurt and I don't see why they want to hang out with me anyway. I can be a fun person, but I don't think I can be myself around them. Problem is, they are nice people and I don't want to come off as a douche and make them think I don't like them. I have no problem with them, I just don't know them and don't want to get close to them.

I was particularly distant towards one of the girls because I think I may like her. I met her for the first time today, but I knew who she was prior to meeting her because she is friends with my best-friend. So perhaps I felt threatened by the fact that she is in a relationship, and me having these unwanted "feelings" for her has caused me to want to shut her out and not want to talk to her. I guess in a way it allows me to feel in control. I don't want to feel below her. So by shutting her out I can kind of "cope" with it? This is a very bizarre situation.

Last edited by xhayatox; 11-06-2014 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 04:19 PM

917 posts, read 1,376,399 times
Nope I am the same way. I dont come to work to make friends.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:20 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,483,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhayatox View Post
Problem is, they are nice people and I don't want to come off as a douche and make them think I don't like them.
Too late.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:23 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,015,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhayatox View Post
So I work in retail, and my company recently moved me to a new store location, so now I have to work with new people. So the majority of the staff is comprised of women, and today was my second day there, and they all try to approach me and initiate conversation with me, but I give them short responses and don't really give them attention. Then they ask me to hang out with them and I tell them that I don't want to socialize, and they tell me "We just want you to like us." The reason I'm so distant with these people is because I don't want to get close to them. Being distant allows me to put up a wall and prevent myself from getting hurt and I don't see why they want to hang out with me anyway. I can be a fun person, but I don't think I can be myself around them. Problem is, they are nice people and I don't want to come off as a douche and make them think I don't like them. I have no problem with them, I just don't know them and don't want to get close to them. I don't know what else to say..
Too late to be thinking about that one.

Why not be cordial and tell them you don't socialize outside of business hours with those you work with?

Old 11-06-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Too late to be thinking about that one.

Why not be cordial and tell them you don't socialize outside of business hours with those you work with?
The thing is, I socialize and am close with my co-workers at the store I previously worked at. But since moving to this new store and having to work with these new people, I'm not opening up to them the way I opened up with my previous co-workers. Maybe I feel threatened by these new people. I just don't know.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:29 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,382,315 times
I don't think it's a question of feeling threatened, I think you are just not comfortable in a new store yet. It takes time to feel comfortable at work and get used to being around new people.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:31 PM

11,129 posts, read 7,865,801 times
I socialize with my co workers all the time. We have a soccer team, a ski team and a softball team and we play against teams from other cities or other airlines. Sometimes we will go out for a drink after work, or have picnics or Bbq's.
I like the people I work with enjoy socializing with them.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:34 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,391,938 times
the thing is well your getting used to a new environment and you are feeling uneasy... even though your not "new" to the job , you are still new and it takes time to adjust to the new surroundings, people, etc

those people "being nice" were just going through the obligatory motions that you would do to welcome a new person

it's weird for everybody, just give it some time

back in the day when i worked retail i remember when new people would come in for some reason they felt the need to talk to me when there are 30-40 other people you can flock to, and sometimes because i was dumbfounded to why people kept talking to me like they knew me i would come off as an a-hole, but a few weeks later or whenever everything was all good

Old 11-06-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I socialize with my co workers all the time. We have a soccer team, a ski team and a softball team and we play against teams from other cities or other airlines. Sometimes we will go out for a drink after work, or have picnics or Bbq's.
I like the people I work with enjoy socializing with them.
Ok?

Old 11-06-2014, 04:39 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,785,243 times
I don't blame you, I'm the same way. Nothing good can come out of getting too chummy with people you must remain professional with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment