Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 06:53 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
How did you arrive at this number?

Why would a store give you a discount to share in their profit when they could just keep you out of the equation, keep selling their own products and keep all the profit?

Have you ever worked in the grocery business?

I can't see how this would ever work unless you go straight to the distributer. A grocery store is not going to sell you food at a discount.

Also, this business already exists. I am not sure it exits in Pakistan but it's called Fresh Direct. They own their own warehouses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 07:13 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
The whole problem here is that you're asking questions about setting up a business in Pakistan from people primarily in the US who have no clue about the needs of your fellow countrymen.

The question asked about any experience you've had in the food business is a legitimate one applicable wherever you live. It's foolhardy to set up a business in a field you know little or nothing about. Unless you have that experience, have experience in retailing and have experience in internet marketing, best you hold off until you acquire that knowledge.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:32 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Best way to acquire that knowledge and experience is to work for others in the same business. Learn on their dime, from the ground up. Then improve on it and venture out on your own.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:45 AM

183 posts, read 292,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I can't see how this would ever work unless you go straight to the distributer. A grocery store is not going to sell you food at a discount.

Also, this business already exists. I am not sure it exits in Pakistan but it's called Fresh Direct. They own their own warehouses.
Ok then I will go straight to distributor because I need products on discounts.

Thanks for advice dear

Old 11-17-2014, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Best way to acquire that knowledge and experience is to work for others in the same business. Learn on their dime, from the ground up. Then improve on it and venture out on your own.

that is good approach to start a business. I have all the experience of marketing a business and website development and I worked in IT company for more than 4 years so I have contacts there too plus a family member also owns a grocery store so I am just making things more easy. Making them available online and delivery to home.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilywhite View Post
I have all the experience of marketing a business and website development ...
Not what you said here:

Quote:
I never created a website but I have good understanding of wordpress and joomla CMS. Never worked on Magento but I talked to my friends and the said mageneto would be the best cms for this kind of site.
If you had all sorts of experience marketing a business you wouldn't be here asking for basic advice on how to do it. I think you need to carefully review and absorb the advice you've been given here but, as said before, the onus is on you to look into your market, particularly in light of the fact that you're talking about a business venture in Pakistan which I doubt anyone here has a clue about.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:55 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Ok then I will go straight to distributor because I need products on discounts.

Thanks for advice dear
Are you familiar with MOQs?

Old 11-17-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Are you familiar with MOQs?
I'm banking on "Minimum Order Quantity" as opposed to "Men of Quality".

Old 11-17-2014, 08:20 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Surely, there must be someone in Pakistan that can help ypu wih this. How are we to know anything about suppliers, permits, what officials need to be bribed, etc.?

Old 11-17-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The whole problem here is that you're asking questions about setting up a business in Pakistan from people primarily in the US who have no clue about the needs of your fellow countrymen.

The question asked about any experience you've had in the food business is a legitimate one applicable wherever you live. It's foolhardy to set up a business in a field you know little or nothing about. Unless you have that experience, have experience in retailing and have experience in internet marketing, best you hold off until you acquire that knowledge.

Thanks for your input! After all these replies I am bit confused about what I am going to do. Would it be a right decision or wrong. Anyways I am going to do it for sure but after proper research and data collection and yes I have retailing and online marketing and leather products business experience so I believe I can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment