Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 07:06 AM

183 posts, read 292,449 times

Advertisements

Friends

I am going to share my plan here and I want you guys to give me some solid answers to these following questions.

1: How do I identify the need of people living in my area?
2: I am going to start an online store only in my city which will provide countrywide services in future, so should I choose name a local one? or choose a general name ?
3: Please answer these two above questions.

I have a plan of providing grocery stuff, food, ice food, organic food and some clothing to people in my town and I just want to give it a start because I am not happy always working for someone else. I have a job an average one plus I have a freelance project as well but I am not only relying myself on Internet marketing and software development kind of services. I want to start something of my own.

What you people say about my plan ? Please share your thoughts.

Thanks
Emily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 07:27 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Where will you get the food?

Have you ever created a website?

Old 11-07-2014, 07:48 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
If you're unfamiliar with this sort of operation it may be worthwhile to enlist the aid of a market research company in your area (UK/Pakistan?) who could also help with your name quandary. Have you searched online to see if there are groups of people who run online stores/websites designed to assist people such as yourself? Have you checked eBay's resources? I understand you're planning on starting out offering your supplies to strictly a local population but you can probably pick up a multitude of basic information from larger organizations.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:51 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Are you asking a bunch of (primarily) Americans how to start a business in a foreign country?

You probably need the services of a market researcher.

Communities have all kinds of needs (food, clothing, housing, transportation, etc.) so, what need/s are you trying to meet?

I don't understand question #2. Are you asking if the name of the business should be tied in to its location?

Old 11-10-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Where will you get the food?

Have you ever created a website?

I will get food items from stores using my brother and people I will hire. I never created a website but I have good understanding of wordpress and joomla CMS. Never worked on Magento but I talked to my friends and the said mageneto would be the best cms for this kind of site.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Are you asking a bunch of (primarily) Americans how to start a business in a foreign country?

You probably need the services of a market researcher.

Communities have all kinds of needs (food, clothing, housing, transportation, etc.) so, what need/s are you trying to meet?

I don't understand question #2. Are you asking if the name of the business should be tied in to its location?

Ok thanks, it means I have to spend some money on a market researcher than asking here in city-data.

The second question was clear i believe. Yes I was talking about the name tied with its location.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If you're unfamiliar with this sort of operation it may be worthwhile to enlist the aid of a market research company in your area (UK/Pakistan?) who could also help with your name quandary. Have you searched online to see if there are groups of people who run online stores/websites designed to assist people such as yourself? Have you checked eBay's resources? I understand you're planning on starting out offering your supplies to strictly a local population but you can probably pick up a multitude of basic information from larger organizations.

That was good advice too with other perspective of taking help from larger organizations. Thanks dear.

I am doing a lot of things and collecting data as well from local public. So I believe I will come to some point soon.

Thanks for advice

Old 11-11-2014, 10:54 AM

7,922 posts, read 7,811,466 times
I'd recommend reading some Dan Kennedy books on selling.

Lately I have been taking a number of business coursers on coursera I think they are pretty good.

Use a pest and swot analysis to try to determine what can and cannot work. But you do have to remember there are different ways of viewing a business in terms of profitability, cash flow, expansion etc.

You have to see what they have access to. Competition is not a bad thing depending on what you are trying to target.

There is a potential business near me that unfortuately has not worked well. One owner had capital but no marketing, one had marketing but no capital.

In terms of raising capital I would go to those that would say yes first. that being friends/family then to those that might and those you never thought would. Crowdfunding might help but I'd argue you'd need a bigger team.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:58 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilywhite View Post
I will get food items from stores using my brother and people I will hire. I never created a website but I have good understanding of wordpress and joomla CMS. Never worked on Magento but I talked to my friends and the said mageneto would be the best cms for this kind of site.
Sooooo ... you want to start a business where people log in to a website, place orders for "food," then you will send your brother to the store to buy the food and ... what, ship it to them???

This is a very bad idea.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:37 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,480 times
Your model is for which country UK or Pakistan? Every market is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment