Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 06:54 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
No it's not.

The phone company pays VERY VERY WELL with full benefits and are always hiring. NO degree required but you DO have to pass some tests.

I know people who have made over $100K sitting in the business office taking calls and selling them stuff. One girl pulled in $150K. There are FOUR of those offices alone for that ONE job in Florida.

The guy who installed my air conditioning unit has more work than he can manage.

I work all day long as a dog walker and can swing up to 24 jobs a day in a high rise. That's over $500 if you need some data. Of course I don't book THAT heavily because I'd go nuts but the WORK IS THERE. I just chose to NOT hire employees.

I had one client alone pay me $24,000 in ONE YEAR for her dog's care. While I was still serving other clients.

I'm not saying there's no problem. There IS. But it's nothing to do with not having the "right" college degree.

Starbucks just invested in an old empty factory near Pittsburgh to open it up again and create ceramic manufacturing jobs. NO college degree required, but BUSINESS needs it to be WORTHWHILE to OPEN FACTORIES etc.

Demonizing BUSINESS will NEVER create JOBS and THAT's what's going on here. Coupled with corruption of business, government politicians, and orgs like the Chamber of Commerce who keep the price of WAGES suppressed including closing a blind eye to illegals and temporary workers undercutting AMERICANS. There is NO Logical reason not to use eVerify.

WHAT do we think will happen when millions MORE people enter the country to take legal immigrants and resident's jobs? Jobs that used to be entry level etc

There is NO logical reason not to have tort reform, either except the politicians will lose their lawyer supporters.

There is NO logical reason not to have TAX CODE changes - MASSIVE ONES. Except every political group will be screaming and kicking against it.

ALL the houses being built around me in FL, have workers speaking Spanish and day workers. Roofer USED TO BE A UNION JOB. Corrupt and nasty, yes...THUGS. But UNION none the less.

ETA: Here's another problem. Don't spend all day long on the computer Facebook etc. Go out and do something. If you don't develop a PASSION, you're not going to know what to do with your lives.
I've had a number of conversations lately with people who are looking for employees or working in places that are always looking. One said a coworker said he didn't want to work, he just wanted a paycheck. Out in a week. Another said he can't find people who are computer literate. They all say yeah, but if it isn't facebook they can't work it. Businesses use Word, Excel, PowerPoint.... but they can work facebook. They also can't string a decent sentence together and their spelling is horrible.

My nephew tells me that his people are all smart, but none of them are self starters.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:54 PM

202 posts, read 265,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This is a great example of tunnel vision. I own a home and I'm looking forward to getting something smaller where I don't have to pay for landscapers, worry about the age of my roof or anything else homeowners have to deal with.

Saying a home is "better for most" sounds like you took a poll and those were the results. You'd sound more credible if you would stop speaking in such absolutes and drop the paranoia about other peoples decisions in life.
There is nothing wrong with a condo. I do believe a house is a better value, especially that many condos are the same price as a house where I'm from. I've lived in a condo and the problem was that I could hear my neighbors music, tv, and footsteps through the walls.

As I said to each of it's own. For maintenance stuff, I can definitely see why somebody would prefer a condo.

Last edited by Coinnle Corra; 11-09-2014 at 07:06 PM..

Old 11-09-2014, 06:57 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I've had a number of conversations lately with people who are looking for employees or working in places that are always looking. One said a coworker said he didn't want to work, he just wanted a paycheck. Out in a week. Another said he can't find people who are computer literate. They all say yeah, but if it isn't facebook they can't work it. Businesses use Word, Excel, PowerPoint.... but they can work facebook. They also can't string a decent sentence together and their spelling is horrible.

My nephew tells me that his people are all smart, but none of them are self starters.
The bit about spelling is spot on. I have a smaller call center that reports up to me and some of the emails... Oy.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:08 PM

615 posts, read 725,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Why do you expect to find people who are fluent in Microsoft Office products? If companies are so desperate to find people who know particular software products, then they should offer training programs or some sort of test that interested job applicants can take. I guarantee you that if you made a Microsoft Office test and said that anyone who could pass it would get a job, that you'd have tons of motivated people self-teaching themselves to complete fluency.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:18 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
Why do you expect to find people who are fluent in Microsoft Office products? If companies are so desperate to find people who know particular software products, then they should offer training programs or some sort of test that interested job applicants can take. I guarantee you that if you made a Microsoft Office test and said that anyone who could pass it would get a job, that you'd have tons of motivated people self-teaching themselves to complete fluency.
Plenty of jobs do exactly this. Entitled douchecanoe millennials still blame someone else.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Pretty sure someone with a doctorate could make the distinction between this.

And this:

Guess there is a reason only the top schools get considered.
I find that humerus.

As a lawyer and PhD a top school can make a difference, for medical professions it doesn't matter, somebody who went to a no name school will have the same pay and almost all the same opportunities as someone who went to Columbia or Johns Hopkins.

I still have yet to see this turf war of boomers vs. millennials in the real world.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:40 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Because most of the businesses I've seen and been involved with use Microsoft Office.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:41 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinnle Corra View Post
I find that humerus.
That's funny.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:45 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Speaking of humorous....

It wasn't that long ago that someone posted about a new employee who didn't know how to do things in Word, and when her age was revealed, several people posted about how out of touch this fifty year old woman was and how the baby boomers just cannot keep up.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
[*]Overrating the usefulness of connections. My parents think that if they know someone who works at a company, that means I can get a job by simply sending that person my resume and having him or her forward it to a manager. Even if my background is in no way related to the type of work the company does, they think the company will hire some random guy and train him into a position just because one of the company's employee's friend is my parent.
I think networking is the key to finding a good job these days. It's not what you know, it's who you know. At least from my experience.

That said, networking is easier said that done. Not everyone is willing or has the power to get someone they know a job. Network with as many people as you can, it only takes one person to give you the opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment