Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:49 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,221 times

Advertisements

Have you tried temp agencies like Labor Ready? Different work every day. It might be pretty low level work, but then again, you're 31 without much work history. Start at Labor Ready, show someone you can do well, and you might get hired that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 01:46 PM

11 posts, read 12,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Have you tried temp agencies like Labor Ready? Different work every day. It might be pretty low level work, but then again, you're 31 without much work history. Start at Labor Ready, show someone you can do well, and you might get hired that way.
I just tried applying at Labor Ready and they just E-mailed me, saying there's no positions available that match my work skills and to try again in 12 months.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzd View Post
If you need a job to kick-start your working career, try applying to work in the kitchen of family-owned restaurants. They are always in need of reliable help. Go to such a restaurant at a slow time, ask if you can speak to the owner/manager, and see if they would hire you. I have friends who recently opened restaurants and they are desperately looking for kitchen workers.

You'll have more of a chance with mom-and-pop restaurants since the chains will ask you to apply on their website. And frankly, if I were reviewing your online app and see that you have not worked since 2002, I will pass. That's why you need to speak to the hiring managers in-person. Good luck.
I just applied for a dishwasher position at Applebee's, just a few miles from me. Hopefully that will give it a kick-start. *fingers crossed*

Old 11-10-2014, 03:04 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Hit up anyone you know personally.

From there, do some volunteer work if you have transportation and someone willing to foot the bill just to have a reference.

Also expand your search into temp work and the very bottom of the barrel stuff.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:16 PM

399 posts, read 568,468 times
I think that minimally, you sound like you have the absolute right attitude. It sounds as if one or two people are familiar with the particular area you live in, so see about those places. Also, it's just about Christmas time, maybe a seasonal job will come your way. My son just got his first job at a shoe store with absolutely no experience. Something will come up, you just have to keep at it and keep that attitude!

Are there car dealerships in your area? Maybe they need porters or car washers
Fast food? They always need someone eager to learn and it's a typical "first" job
Temp agencies just to get in the door and get some experience? Sometimes they do a lot of hiring for warehouses

Old 11-10-2014, 03:17 PM

399 posts, read 568,468 times
Look through jobs that may be available with your city or county that only require completion of high school
Your local school districts. Sometimes they need paraprofessionals or lunch room people

Old 11-10-2014, 03:33 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
So you haven't been able to work for the past 10+ years because add, but now you mystersily have the ability to get a job? Do you realize how many people have add and hold jobs and not be a leach on society?

But anyways,to answer your question. Most jobs that don't pay a ton don't even check your past employers, so you could just lie about your work history.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
So you haven't been able to work for the past 10+ years because add, but now you mystersily have the ability to get a job? Do you realize how many people have add and hold jobs and not be a leach on society?

But anyways,to answer your question. Most jobs that don't pay a ton don't even check your past employers, so you could just lie about your work history.
I ain't no leach, bro, so w/ all due respect, I'd appreciate the non-judgement on someone that just wants to change his life around for the better. And thank you for the answer.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:11 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsw1tchd83 View Post
I ain't no leach, bro, so w/ all due respect, I'd appreciate the non-judgement on someone that just wants to change his life around for the better. And thank you for the answer.
Technically...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsw1tchd83 View Post
I'm now 31 w/ no real work history and have been living on SSI my whole life because I have ADHD but no physical issues...
... you are a leech in sense that you've been drawing from a system without contributing to it. I respect your desire to try and turn the situation around now, but living on SSI due to ADHD does fit the definition of leech.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:27 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
Technically...

... you are a leech in sense that you've been drawing from a system without contributing to it. I respect your desire to try and turn the situation around now, but living on SSI due to ADHD does fit the definition of leech.
Huh...

Ida M. Fuller
Ida May Fuller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Paid $24 in the system...receives almost $23,000 and only paid into the system for three years and yet collected for thirty five!

You can talk about leeching and that's fine but the fact of the matter is there are bigger leeches out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment