Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 05:27 AM

11 posts, read 12,875 times

Advertisements

I'm now 31 w/ no real work history and have been living on SSI my whole life because I have ADHD but no physical issues, and for the past couple years, I've been trying to change myself around, get off SSI and be more independent. The only real work I've actually done is in a coffee shop at school back in 2002 where we worked the cash register, prepared simple foods and that sorta thing, so maybe I've at least got that on my resume. I'm basically just trying to get my foot in the door and actually do something w/ myself now and I'll pretty much take any work I can get. I'm going through VESID/ACCES, supportive employment, got a job coach and some interview skills written down and have literally been applying on indeed, monster and other job application sites and so far, still no real progress. Hell, I've even tried applying at Target and Lowe's, but they both sent me rejection E-mails, "sorry, we currently have no positions to offer at this time," or "we're focusing on other candidates. I've wanted to do some warehouse, freight, stocker-type work but the problem is that I can't seem to get hired because of my age and severe lack of work history. I mean, I have a GED, which I obtained a couple years back and have wheels, so no issue there and going through all the supportive employment services but w/ still no luck on getting hired anywhere. I'm really worried that I won't have my chance to get my foot in the door. What should I do????? I mean, I'll do whatever I can.. retail, and stuff like that. I'm not being picky at all. I just hope I'm not screwed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 06:33 AM

10 posts, read 14,714 times
You're in Vestal! That's so awesome. I lived there for about 12 yrs. through my 20's and early 30's - went to grad school at Binghamton U, worked at a few places in teh area, last place I worked was Lourdes. I loved it there - beautiful area...and the speedies, oh the speedies! I'm very fond of the area. I can go on forever, I truly loved it there.

The place was good to us, we were lucky I guess to have good employment and the real estate is so cheap that we lived large. I know it's not like that for all though. Part of the problem is that you are in a somewhat depressed area. In terms of good employment, the options are slim - you have the university, healthcare, and maybe Lockheed in Owego. Not many more large and good employers (there are a few places like Security Mutual downtown too). But all those places are probably only hiring college and above people with experience. But there should be some other options for you. The university grew a lot over the last few years, and is still expanding pretty fast. They're building more housing for students at a fast rate and some of it is like really nice upper end housing for students who's family has some $. They're pumping up the local economy and there are food places all over. That's where I'd look if I were you - food service at one of the restaurants (heck, if you get really good maybe you can one day work at Number 5!). And since you have a car, you can also check out the neighboring towns - Owego is a good one.

But, and this is really important...you need to get your ADHD under control. That's really the key to living your life.

Have you been to Workforce New York yet? It's at teh corner of Front St and Main st. They do workshops for resume development, interview skills, job hunting strategies, etc. And, they have local listings that may not be listed on line. They're pretty good over there so I would definitely use them as a resource.

But first, get the ADHD (and whatever other challenges you may have) under control. My wife is a psychiatrist, I know how these types of things can impact one's life.

I applaud you for trying, keep trying, do your best to not lose faith, find a support group to help, make sure you have a good Dr guiding your treatment and consider Cognitive Behavior Therapy in addition to meds. Hope things work out well for you in the future.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:41 AM

587 posts, read 915,514 times
Are there any programs in your area that would place you with an employer for six months? You do have a challenging situation, not having much of a work history. Your best bet, imo, is to try to score a job through personal connections. Tell everyone you know that you are trying to get a job. A friend's recommendation is a great way to get your foot in the door.

Do you include the reason you don't have any work experience on your resume? I wonder if a short explanation would help. I would be more likely to interview you if I knew your story. Otherwise, I would wonder why you hadn't worked and my mind would fill in bad reasons, like prison.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:42 AM
mzd

419 posts, read 886,891 times
If you need a job to kick-start your working career, try applying to work in the kitchen of family-owned restaurants. They are always in need of reliable help. Go to such a restaurant at a slow time, ask if you can speak to the owner/manager, and see if they would hire you. I have friends who recently opened restaurants and they are desperately looking for kitchen workers.

You'll have more of a chance with mom-and-pop restaurants since the chains will ask you to apply on their website. And frankly, if I were reviewing your online app and see that you have not worked since 2002, I will pass. That's why you need to speak to the hiring managers in-person. Good luck.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:43 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,097,725 times
I also have ADD myself so I can relate, I didn't really hit my stride until my late 20's prior to that I always worked but never really held down jobs for long periods of time and was always hopping jobs. The fac your on disability is kind of crazy to me. I know a few people who are physically disabled and can't even qualify for disability and don't mean to trivialize your issues, I get ADD is real but I don't think it means you can't work I think that more comes down to discipline and motivation as I know that was part of the issue with me in the past. That aside though props to you for taking inititive and doing something.

Just to give you some motivation I finally found a job I like and one where I don't have to sit and concentrate on one tastk all day because that drives me crazy and makes me feel like I wanna scream and pull my hair out. I've had the same job for about 5 years now. I have also started a business on the side which is doing very well so it's all about trying to use your ADD to your advantage. Many times people with ADD are super focused on certain things so if you can direct that energy you can be very successful.

One other job I really liked was meter reader, paid well plus I was always walking around everday was different, etc.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post
Are there any programs in your area that would place you with an employer for six months? You do have a challenging situation, not having much of a work history. Your best bet, imo, is to try to score a job through personal connections. Tell everyone you know that you are trying to get a job. A friend's recommendation is a great way to get your foot in the door.

Do you include the reason you don't have any work experience on your resume? I wonder if a short explanation would help. I would be more likely to interview you if I knew your story. Otherwise, I would wonder why you hadn't worked and my mind would fill in bad reasons, like prison.
Nope. Never been in prison. I've just been living at home and living the unambitious life and just been wanting to change all that. I have some friends who were obviously the same way when they were younger and I guess just seeing how everyone I know is making something of themselves, I figure, "If they can do it...I can do it!"

Old 11-10-2014, 06:54 AM

10 posts, read 14,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
One other job I really liked was meter reader, paid well plus I was always walking around everday was different, etc.
OP, try NYSEG on Old Vestal Rd. Or at the main Maines location in Kirkwood (or is it Conklin?) as a warehouse worker. If your income requirements aren't too high, there should be things you can find. And because there isn't a ton of large organizations in the area, you see a lot of people offering services out of their homes - small engine repair, and things like that.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:14 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post
That's a pretty lame accusation to make when that can easily be proven by doing a background check. If he went to prison aka he was a felon you would easily find that out. But like most employers you just have to make an excuse to not hire someone.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikelist View Post
You're in Vestal! That's so awesome. I lived there for about 12 yrs. through my 20's and early 30's - went to grad school at Binghamton U, worked at a few places in teh area, last place I worked was Lourdes. I loved it there - beautiful area...and the speedies, oh the speedies! I'm very fond of the area. I can go on forever, I truly loved it there.

The place was good to us, we were lucky I guess to have good employment and the real estate is so cheap that we lived large. I know it's not like that for all though. Part of the problem is that you are in a somewhat depressed area. In terms of good employment, the options are slim - you have the university, healthcare, and maybe Lockheed in Owego. Not many more large and good employers (there are a few places like Security Mutual downtown too). But all those places are probably only hiring college and above people with experience. But there should be some other options for you. The university grew a lot over the last few years, and is still expanding pretty fast. They're building more housing for students at a fast rate and some of it is like really nice upper end housing for students who's family has some $. They're pumping up the local economy and there are food places all over. That's where I'd look if I were you - food service at one of the restaurants (heck, if you get really good maybe you can one day work at Number 5!). And since you have a car, you can also check out the neighboring towns - Owego is a good one.

But, and this is really important...you need to get your ADHD under control. That's really the key to living your life.

Have you been to Workforce New York yet? It's at teh corner of Front St and Main st. They do workshops for resume development, interview skills, job hunting strategies, etc. And, they have local listings that may not be listed on line. They're pretty good over there so I would definitely use them as a resource.

But first, get the ADHD (and whatever other challenges you may have) under control. My wife is a psychiatrist, I know how these types of things can impact one's life.

I applaud you for trying, keep trying, do your best to not lose faith, find a support group to help, make sure you have a good Dr guiding your treatment and consider Cognitive Behavior Therapy in addition to meds. Hope things work out well for you in the future.
Oh, you're a former resident?? Right on. And yes, the economy around here is bad nowadays. Not sure how good it was when you were living here. Yes, I am going through Workforce, since VESID/ACCES said I had to go through them. I'm also going through this place on Riverside Dr. called ACHIEVE, where my job coach is and for the interview skills. Yeah, I wouldn't mind starting out w/ food services at BU, since my job coach at ACHIEVE mentioned that as well.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:47 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,868,828 times
When I worked blue collar jobs and they hired someone without any work experience, it was because of three reasons:
1) boss/owner's family member;
2) they were desperate for help because they got a new order and couldn't keep up; or
3) someone who worked there vouched for them to their supervisor that his guy was a good person and would pick things up quickly.

That basically means that you should hit up all your friends, their friends, your family, neighbors or anyone that doesn't hate you, for jobs, advice on how to get a job, or if they know of any opportunities and can they put in a good word for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment