Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 11:45 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,136,596 times

Advertisements

God damn. I am so sorry you're going through this. Where are you located? Even if you can say your approximate location, I/we can give you some ideas.

Have you tried doing odd jobs from Craigslist? Always people who need help with yard work, etc.

Or if you have a car, look into becoming an Uber driver.

Like I said, the more specific you can be, the more we can hopefully help. Hang in there! !

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 11-11-2014 at 12:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 11:50 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Mid 20s I hit a rough patch after two companies I found jobs with were sold and staff not retained. I ended up moving back in with my parents, couldn't find a job (basically any job) for months. I did some bookkeeping for family acquaintances, worked two days a month in the nutritional services department of the hospital my mom worked at, volunteered delivering blood at the blood bank (they paid IRS mileage).

I ended up going abroad and teaching English after a few months. Glad I did, good experiences.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:09 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Before I would move under a bridge I would join the military. There are a lot of branches that don't get put in war zones (Coast Guard, Navy,) so those would be my first choice. You can learn some skills and get some education and at least have a home and food for the next few years.

Just something to consider.

Don
I dont think I would qualify. I had a pretty serious heart condition years ago and I think if they saw how serious it was...I would be disqualified plus about every 3-4 months I still get chest pains/ heart murmurs? (Dont know the right term). I also had a bad asthma attack when I was a kid (dont know if that matters).

I thought about trying anyways idk. Just to provide some details for everyone:

I have A LOT of debt.

Credit is kaput.

I dont qualify for unemployment.

No job or car

Almost $0 in bank account

Live with parents (this is another story of its own its just way too much to go into but they are not financially able to help me)

I swear I'm not the type to panic or have a pity party but seeing all that written out well ...if you wanna see what true failure looks like there ya go folks.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Mid 20s I hit a rough patch after two companies I found jobs with were sold and staff not retained. I ended up moving back in with my parents, couldn't find a job (basically any job) for months. I did some bookkeeping for family acquaintances, worked two days a month in the nutritional services department of the hospital my mom worked at, volunteered delivering blood at the blood bank (they paid IRS mileage).

I ended up going abroad and teaching English after a few months. Glad I did, good experiences.
yes YES. This! !! If I hadn't gotten married, I'd probably be there right now. You'll be paid enough to live well in the country you're teaching. And you'll be in a new country, that alone is amazing!

For most countries, especially in Asia, all you need is a 4 year degree -- which you have!

Old 11-11-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
God damn. I am so sorry you're going through this. Where are you located? Even if you can say your approximate location, I/we can give you some ideas.

Have you tried doing odd jobs from Craigslist? Always people who need help with yard work, etc.

Or if you have a car, look into becoming an Uber driver.

Like I said, the more specific you can be, the more we can hopefully help. Hang in there! !
Im hanging. Only bright spot is I have one interview coming up...and im using the rest of my money go to it (might as well...). But if I'm being totally honest I dont even have a 50/50 shot of getting it...and even if I did...what would I do next? I wouldn't have any money left to stay anywhere. Unless I can sell my pc quickly (put it on ebay today) which would give me SOME money.

I've tried craigslist but all I get are scams. Ive only gotten one job from CS in the past.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:31 AM

Wow. I swear im not trolling but I literally just got a notification my bank account is being put on hold. I dont understand how I've become such a loser. Really like what the hell..

Old 11-11-2014, 01:16 AM

531 posts, read 1,177,282 times
I am sorry to hear about the situation you are in now.

(1) if you want to, maybe you can post your resume here (remove ur personal info). An updated resume may help your situation.
(2) try to contact any recruiter / temp agency you can find.
(3) if your debt is student loan, try to apply for financial hardship if you haven't done so.
(4) try door to door job search (especially temp holiday job)...jobs that help you get by until you find something better.

Good luck!

Old 11-11-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Wow. I swear im not trolling but I literally just got a notification my bank account is being put on hold. I don't understandnd how I've become such a loser. Really like what the hell..
You are not a loser. Many people (including some of the most successful people) go through difficulties in life. And the thing is, difficulties do tend to arise more difficulties, especially financial ones. So don't beat yourself up over this. It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders, just not the best luck. But positive life changes also compound the same way, so just focus on getting that first win.

Oh...have you considered door to door sales? Try for the ones with base pay, but you'll be hired asap by a commission only job, since with that, the more salesmen the better. It's not a glamorous job, but at least you'll make rent, and can interview for better jobs.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:36 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,732,248 times
If you want a guaranteed job then come to TX and work in the oil field. You will probably hate every last bit of it, but you will only work half the year and make decent living starting out as a rig hand (around 60k/yr). TX, North Dakota (probably make in the 100k/yr range but you will work more), Wyoming, Colorado, etc.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:58 AM

207 posts, read 226,527 times
Whatever.

I take risks. One day dancing on table tops the next day I was in bootcamp.

Money comes and goes. Time is all we have. Dont give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment