Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 09:31 PM

136 posts, read 118,381 times

Advertisements

I went to a professional group function at the weekend, which was a wine and cheese party. It was a group I wanted to join as I have the basic certification to be a member, but when I was there I spoke with a few people, but then all of the others were a bit standoffish. To be honest,I left early because I felt like a loser, that they were laughing at me, and that I was standing out.

I only care in the end because they are all club members, and they would say “oh, he’s the weirdo who was standing there and not talking to anybody!” So any activity I do would be tarnished should I go further.

Am I right to think that my networking opportunities have been destroyed, and I should find another group to join?

And to end on a good note, I have a digital marketing plan I want to roll out. As a first step, is it a good idea to add a blog link in a signature? The blog has no specific target market, and I want to reach as many persons as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 01:55 PM

11 posts, read 23,962 times
It sounds as if you had a very negative experience at a networking event for your group. Did you make any connections with the few people that you did meet? Did you exchange business cards? I wouldn't be focused on the connections that you did not make because you are not going to connect with everyone at every event you attend.

I do not believe that your networking opportunities are destroyed and that you should not find another group to join. Networking functions are opportunities to meet people and develop authentic professional relationships. You should set a goal of how many people you want to meet and exchange information.

It sounds like you are focused on the negative, rather than what you did right. Build relationships with the people you did meet and continue to go to the meetings.

It is good that you have a digital marketing plan. Adding a blog link to your signature gives people the opportunity to learn more about what your interests and values are. If you are going to start a blog, develop a blog that has a niche. You don't want to reach as many people as possible because catering your blog to the masses is very difficult and hard work. That's why you want to establish a niche.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:36 PM

136 posts, read 118,381 times
well it wasn't trading business cards per se, but it was run by the professional group as a get-together. They were in their groups drinking wine, and when I talked them it was like "go away" or "**** off". So then I spent energy trying to join the chapter, but then it's all for naught because they would tell everybody that i am a loser and didn't talk to anybody.... this is the only reason I care, most of the time I don't care who or who doesn't value me....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment