Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,851 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are both 30 years old. We have one 2 year old daughter and are actively working on only one more child (gigidy). We are both in satisfying careers with my wife working a three day work week (Mon-Wed) and me working Mon-Thur and sometimes Fridays for overtime. We get along very well and are generally very compatible. Together we bring in about 110K a year and where we live (Salt Lake City) that is a very nice income. I am currently a police officer for the city and have been for the past 9 years. I am also working on becoming a certified physical education teacher so when I hit my 20 years with the PD I can retire, gather my 36K a year in pension and start teaching PE after taking some time off to bum around the house. I want to become a teacher mostly because of the schedule (lots of time off) and because I am a fitness enthusiast and would like to share my passion with the next generation.We are both pretty big fans of Dave Ramsey and have agreed with the life style that he preaches (minus the religion). Because of that, we are completely debt free and will have a 200K house paid off in 16 months. Even if the market only returns an average of 6% on our current investments every year we are due to become millionaires in 11 years. 6% is below average so it will more than likely bearound 9 years. And that is separate from our actual retirement savings and home equity…so basically without bragging about my financial situation any longer, what I am trying to say is that we are not in a position where we have to work for money much longer. Money and work is becoming increasingly more a completely separate subjects and we are very excited about that. Our goal is to move from Utah when I reach my 20 years and move to a coastal town in the north east..I have one thing that is bugging me. At this stage of the game, a lot of my fellow officers are trying to advance/promote to supervisory positions. I feel that they do so because they are mostly motivated by the need to earn more income but also the desire to lead. Since I am not motivated by the increase of earnings potential I have no interest in promoting. Promoting also means that I will lose my seniority. Seniority means a lot since we bid for shifts/days off three times per year. It would take me another 6-10 years to get to where I can have nights and weekends off as a supervisor.It also means that I need to put in more hours. But I have this voice in the back of my head that says that I might just be making excuses to not promote because I am not good enough, have a fear of failing, am afraid to step out of my comfort zone,and am lazy, not reaching my full potential or otherwise not competent enough to lead. I feel like I have to prove it to myself that I can do it (I am natrually very competative) but I if I actually did it I would not like my life. So basically I keep thinking that I must somehow prove myself by promoting and that if I don’t others will think less of me. I also feel like I constantly have to explain my reasoning to not promote even when people are noteven asking I seem to bring it up and act very competitive about it.
So with all this written out it seems like a no brainer tome (and probably you) that I need to stay where I am happy and continue working on our goals to become financially independent and relatively work free. But yet I am still here asking complete strangers on the internet if I am doing the right thing by staying in my comfort zone which means that there has to be something wrong with my confidence or emotional level! What do all the grown up successful professionals out there think?

Last edited by PPP20; 11-12-2014 at 04:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 04:27 PM

35,045 posts, read 31,233,730 times
Please make this readable. Look for a "staff position" where the expectation is to build up seniority in one role - not move up or out.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:18 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,864,361 times
OP I have known two cops in your same situation. One friend took the route of staying put as a line officer even though he was encouraged to go for numerous promotions. he is still doing it and loves it. He doesn't want to be responsible for anyone else and doesn't want the stress of managing other officers and having to deal with HR issues. the other one I know chose to move up and deal with what you mentioned about scheduling, extra hours, and the politics, etc.. He ended up doing it until early retirement. However, he envied his friend who stayed put and never went after promotions.

So, I would say that there is no rush to make a decision about going after promotions. Stay put for now as you clearly have reservations. BTW - your generation is changing work and hours dynamics. More and more are wanting better quality work/life balance. So if you indeed can afford to stay put, you know for now you'd be happy, then this is your answer.

I must say I'm shocked that at a young age you are so close to your financial goals! Good job, and good luck to you!

Old 11-12-2014, 05:55 PM

12,100 posts, read 23,250,034 times
Have you thought about being a personal trainer instead of a PE instructor? You can work with clients (who want to be there) a few evenings a week if you want to. PE teachers are a dime a dozen, so remember that. You understand that PE teachers do more than teach gym, right? I've got bad news for you; the kids in your class don't care about your enthusiasm or lifestyle choices, nor do they want you to force your competitiveness down their throats.

I've known a number of officers who have spent their entire career as patrol officers for a variety of personal reasons. No one cares. You are making an issue where one doesn't exist (I'm guessing that your competitiveness is at an unhealthy level).

Old 11-12-2014, 06:05 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,980,378 times
110K grand a year you dont even have to work a full work week? Looks like I need to move to Utah

Old 11-12-2014, 06:19 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,586,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
110K grand a year you dont even have to work a full work week? Looks like I need to move to Utah
That's with two incomes.

OP, people are motivated by different things. For me, it was not always about money, but about learning more. I didn't even care if I used the things I was learning, I just wanted to learn them. But then people asked me to fill in here and there, since I had learned them, and before you know it, you're covering for a number of people and then are offered a promotion.

If you're in a place where you're happy, that's fine. If everyone wanted to move up, there wouldn't be enough slots to accommodate them all anyway.

Others shouldn't judge you and you shouldn't judge them.

If you do think it's a comfort zone and you're being limited due to lack of confidence, however, then that's something else and you might want to address it. Only you will know for certain.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:16 AM

142 posts, read 242,166 times
Don't count on a PE teaching job. There's only 1 per school, and they usually don't leave until retirement since it's a cushy job.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:10 AM

928 posts, read 1,100,718 times
My dentist once told me this: "While we plan, God is laughing at us". You seem to have your entire life planned or at least the next few decades. Just keep in mind that things change and your leisurely life style may not be possible in the future.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:38 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,990,394 times
Money is not everything. If your happy with what your doing, and perfectly comfortable doing it with the pay you have then continue to do so.

I would warn that it is not uncommon for people who are good in their profession to be promoted to management based on their technical proficiency in their present profession. Being good at doing the work (be it a police office or a technical job) does not always translate into being a good manager or leader as the skill and job are very different. If the job description of the promotion doesn't sound like something you would be happy doing, then it is usually good to listen to your gut too!

Old 11-13-2014, 10:31 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,785,038 times
I think your plan is naive. You're likely going to need a lot more money than you think.

Moving up or not is a tough one - the grass is always greener thing. But IMO it's best to strive - keeps the spirit satisfied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment