Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 02:40 AM

183 posts, read 292,449 times

Advertisements

Well I have chosen my job because the company was a small one and I knew there won't be a politics or leg pulling thing so I will be comfortable. I selected time flexibility, relaxation and low salary over larger organizations high salaries and other benefits. Now I am planning my own business so I am happy with my work and luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 06:18 AM

17 posts, read 30,131 times
1. It is a field I like working in.
2. Good work life balance, good amount of vacation time.
3. Great benefits.
4. Money.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:19 AM

17 posts, read 30,131 times
Duplicate

Old 11-13-2014, 07:39 AM

35,064 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Same as you. I'm renting my time, so I want to rent it to the highest bidder.

I'll go to some lengths to make sure companies want to rent my time. Certs, quals, degrees, quantifiable outcomes in tough projects, that kind of thing. PITA getting them, but they do get you over the selection bar on the first round of interviews. Also, a somewhat bland, "helpful" demeanor. It may not be who you are, but remember - they're only renting your behavior. They're not looking for problems, and they don't care who you "are".

That being said - like you, my decision rule is pay and benefits. Generally means biiiiggg companies. I like big companies because there's always somewhere else to go if you find yourself in a - ummm- rut.

Being in a big metro helps. The larger the town, the easier it is to walk across the street and go to work for the competition.
I've noticed this too. Our HQ is in Boston and it is a revolving door with the companies in this niche market. The economy there is absolutely on fire. Back home in TN, you would never see this, and if you're out of work, you'll be out of work for a long time.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:00 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,048,806 times
Moved cross country to gain 30% in pay and a career opportunity with the possibility of retirement before 90.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:05 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times
I'm all about the pay/benefits. Location, as well, but I didn't move; I wanted to stay where I was so I found another job very close physically to my last job. I'll probably work in the Chicago Loop for the rest of my life if I don't start my own business.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:09 AM

493 posts, read 980,576 times
Combination. My previous job was an hour and a half commute and the pay was miserable. I mostly worked from home, but getting to the office when I had to, usually once or twice a week, was insane. It was my first job out of college and I thought the pay was good until I started looking for a different job. So I left my last job because of pay and location.

For my current job, I had offers from three companies. I weighed them in order:

Enjoyable work
How much I liked the people I had interviewed with
Pay
Convenience of location.

The job that I ended up accepting paid a couple thousand less per year than the highest paying job offered, but the work sounded the most interesting and I really enjoyed all the people I met with during the interview process. It's also in a great location in the Chicago Loop.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:58 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Pay, benefits, location/amenities, and career goals.

I'm very, very fortunate.
I as well.

I enjoy my job and look forward to going in

Old 11-13-2014, 10:22 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,818 times
After graduating, I needed my first job. This one was a decent start. So probably pay/benefits and career goals, and just as much out of necessity.
I'm currently looking again. Pay/benefits and career goals are of high priority since those are stunted where I am at. Location not very much focus, though there are of course places I'm not very interested in moving to.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:44 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Money
Benefits
Commute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment