Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:26 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,625 times

Advertisements

I depends on what line of work you are in, I look a little young for my age (for some reason people have guessed my age as mid 30s for the last 15 years). When I explain to people that I am closing in on 40 than they take me a little more serious as an accountant, however in sales I often noticed that certain industries always hired people in their 20s to early 30s, if you seen any sales people over 35 they were usually managers and just there doing training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 08:42 AM

615 posts, read 725,767 times
I think it depends on what you look like. A guy who is 28 years old and bald will be discrimnated against more than a guy who is 40 years old but looks 25.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:34 AM

10,228 posts, read 6,311,516 times
In business it is usually 40s for women and around 50 for men. However, in education it doesn't seem to apply. Women who stayed home to raise a family? That is considered "workforce" experience. At least that is what I experienced in two different states in my 50s and even 60s. Instead of being a kind of Mommy figure for very young children, as you aged you were now a Granny figure instead.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:46 AM

383 posts, read 429,673 times
I'll never forget calling a Southwestern university in AZ when I was 42. I have a Master's Degree in Literature and wanted to apply to the doctoral program. I lived in Pennsylvania. A young twenty-something named Jonathan (remember this like it was yesterday) listened to my questions about the Rhetoric Program, and then said, "But why would a person your age want to come so far to start a doctoral degree for?" (You never forget the first time you are told to your face you are old.)

I thought for a moment, turned off my Ray Conniff record, fluffed my blue hair, and, said, "Did you hear what you said? You just discriminated against me." He said nothing--didn't backtrack or apologize, and said, "No, I meant that seriously. Why would you want to do such a thing?"

I called the head of the Affirmative Action Office. The person in charge was older than I am, and she told me, "Yes, that wasn't nice of him, but we can only file a charge of discrimination if you're enrolled."

Age discrimination starts the minute someone a day younger than you and in a position of power over you needs to look at you as "old," in order to see him- or herself as young. That can happen at 42 or 22.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:13 PM

379 posts, read 785,515 times
I'm 30 and have experienced it already, especially trying to get jobs in social media or tech-oriented companies. The irony is that I look quite young for my age, but from my job history on my resume it's obvious I'm older than the brand new college grad they often want. I don't typically even get asked in for an interview at these companies.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:32 PM

271 posts, read 426,802 times
i look young too but i'm not getting calls b/c it's obvious from my work experience i have 20+ years of experience. some places also ask for transcripts so that makes it clear i'm mid 40's. i really never thought this would happen to me. i'm not in IT btw, i'm in higher education.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:50 PM

994 posts, read 1,540,215 times
For women in particular, it almost never ends. In your 20s, employers fear you'll run off and get married and/ or have a baby. In your 30s, they'll think you're about to get pregnant or are too distracted by your existing kids that you will "lack commitment." In your 40s, they'll think you're still preoccupied with your kids and think you're not "competitive" because some signs of aging may begin to start showing. In your 50s and beyond, forget it, unless you are a woman who never got married or had kids and have had no goals outside climbing the corporate ladder.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:38 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,387,265 times
around 103

Old 11-13-2014, 06:44 PM

435 posts, read 635,281 times
Age discrimination tends to start earlier for women than men.

I think its very hard for a woman over 40 to get a job as a front desk receptionist or admin. (Note: I said "very hard", NOT "impossible". So yes, I know people here may know women over 40 in these jobs, or they may be over 40 and in these jobs themselves, but I stand by my opinion that its harder after 40 for women get these particular jobs).
The design industry, like interior design, and the fashion industry are heavily youth oriented. I worked for an interior design firm and nobody was over age 40, and once you turned 40, they got rid of you. And men who worked there had to be gay, hetero men weren't welcome in this creative field.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:46 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,169,139 times
Whenever you are passed up for an opportunity, that is the age
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment