Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 10:04 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yeah but they don't exactly want fresh millennials straight out of high school and college. I mean what fresh out of high school student has a BA/BS and what kind of college graduate has 2-5 years worth of relvant and specific job experience. It's tough to start in afield whether it is a career change or a start their career.
I had problems getting my first job out of college because I lacked relevant work experience. There I was with my newly minted degree in business management and good grades (even made the Dean's List a couple of semesters), but employers were more focused on my prior work experience than my degree. I couldn't understand it. There wasn't an established internship program at my college at the time, so I just chose jobs during the summer or school year based on how easy they were to get and my comfort level/ability to do the job. I don't think it's right for employers to be so focused on work experience for someone just getting out of college.[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 10:59 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Age discrimination starts right away. I don't know if I'll be able to find it, but someone posted an article on this forum before that had some insight from staffing agencies. They said that people in their 20s and people older than 50 (or somewhere around there) were most likely to be discriminated against.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:25 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post

I noticed how difficult it was to get a job once I hit 30. It was almost like the universe put a wall up. Removed all the dates from work/education history that give away my age. Didn't change anything else. I don't think it's a coincidence that there was an immediate shift in the amount of interest I got.

I look young too, so once I get into the interview, people are figuring me to be a college freshman. It isn't until I'm hired and they get to my paperwork that they realize I'm older than they assumed and by that point, no one cares. *shrug*

It's tough for education and experience too depending on what you're trying to do. When I needed to supplement my income last year, I couldn't get a call back from retail, food services, anything of that kind. Took my degrees out completely, lowered my "years of experience", applied to all the same places again and got called back for all of them and had that extra job I needed. Did the same thing to pick up extra cash doing holiday retail this year.

A ton of people I know my age have jobs/careers that don't pay well so they need more work on the side and we've all gotten pretty familiar with the fact that around these parts, if you want a "nonsense" job like cashiering, playing yourself down and younger aces it.

They do not want someone educated enough to know they deserve more and experienced enough to qualify for something better who's old enough to have kids and other "adult" responsibilities that could affect them covering their shifts. They want dime-a-dozens happy to have minimum wage folding shirts and salting fries with no sights set on anything bigger and no real obligations outside of work other than hanging out with their friends.

Other places, it may be completely different, though, but you adapt to the market you're in.

I thought you had to put all dates down or it looks suspicious.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:31 PM

260 posts, read 326,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinthejourney View Post
I haven't looked for a job since my mid 30's. I'm now in my mid 40's looking for a job and getting very few call backs. Is this the beginning of job discrimination? I have a specialized skill/degree and excellent experience in my field.
If People are not picking up on your resume, guess the resume needs work.

Age discrimination. I have heard allot about it, people past 50 get an attitute that if they were fired from their job, they would not be able find another one, because they are old.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:32 PM

720 posts, read 705,425 times
Quote:
I haven't looked for a job since my mid 30's. I'm now in my mid 40's looking for a job and getting very few call backs. Is this the beginning of job discrimination? I have a specialized skill/degree and excellent experience in my field.
The age is determined by the discriminator...

Old 11-16-2014, 01:38 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
According to the EEOC, some states do protect younger workers against age discrimination.
Age Discrimination

I never knew about the General Dynamics case. The Supreme Court ruled that ADEA does not protect those over 40 from discrimination in favor of older workers--what one would call reverse age discrimination.
Can Employers Discriminate Against Younger Workers? | HR Hero Line

Old 11-17-2014, 01:27 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,433 times
Quote:
There is a financial reason why they discriminate besides an employees compensation. In the group health coverage, the rate is set by the average age of the employees. So if everyone in your company is between 50 and 60, it's going to cost more than if they are between 25 and 35. By law, at least in this state the employer must pay 10% of the plan, although many pay much more of it. In some cases, the companies pay the other 90% for different classifications of employees. So if the company is looking to save costs on the medical group plan, they can look to add younger people to the staff than older ones.

Professionally, I think it's stupid to consider people's ages at all. If they have the background and work experience with current in-demand skills, age doesn't have a factor. I know when I was out of college in my early 20s, someone who was in their 40s was considered older, and someone in their 50s was much older. But I remember it coming down to the individual how they were respected in the office if they knew what they were talking about and had great insight into projects. I remember when something was in a panic and a fire had to be put out, the older people weren't bothered by this. It wasn't that they didn't care and didn't react, they just weren't going to waste to their chasing their tail over it. Because they have seen it all before and worse.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:47 AM

207 posts, read 226,536 times
I face ageism. It's odd to say, but some people assume things because I look "young"... I am embarrass of my real age, so it's like "win-lose" situation. If they want to think I am 19, then so be it, since it doesn't affect my pay check. (I'm turning 23, but I tell my immediate co-workers I am 21... and I won't let them know my b-day). Otherwise, yeah, think whatever.

In the military, I can get away with my looking young more so, and it's like my life is ON TRACK. Although, I am not the youngest in the office, and in fact... I am like the average age. But ohhh my, it looks funny when I act like I am 21 drinking wine.

It's funny, since a guy who is 26 thinks he's SOOOoooOoOO much older than me, just because he looks like 30.

Age is just a number.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:26 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Not so much Age Discrimination but lack of jobs.

Division Head can be 50-60
Three heads of dept 45-50
Nine AVP/Manager types 32-45
40 Staff members 21-31

So if you are 55 you need a division head job, only one, Head of dept, there are three, but Staff there are 40.

Folks live on average to 75 so just as many 50 year old guys as 30 year old guys but a lot less jobs as folks dont like to hire overqualified folks or hire folks taking big pay cuts and lower level staff is a young mans game.

This is what I've found, job hunting in my 50s for a staff level position -- not so much age discrimination but an unwillingness to hire someone with a lot of years of experience. Not everyone is cut out to be managerial and move up the ladder. So the positions I looked at, most companies wanted someone with at the most 3-5 years of experience. I think once I saw 10. I have 30, but only put the last 10 years on my resume.

I ended up in a long-term contract position, and most of the people I work with are my age.

On the flip side, when I was laid off by a corporation, they are VERY careful to ensure that you were not selected because of your age (and high salary/benefits). They sent out a packet of pages and pages of everyone in my division who was let go -- department, position, and age (no names) -- so that I could see people younger and older than me were selected.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:05 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlexa View Post
I face ageism. It's odd to say, but some people assume things because I look "young"... I am embarrass of my real age, so it's like "win-lose" situation. If they want to think I am 19, then so be it, since it doesn't affect my pay check. (I'm turning 23, but I tell my immediate co-workers I am 21... and I won't let them know my b-day). Otherwise, yeah, think whatever.

In the military, I can get away with my looking young more so, and it's like my life is ON TRACK. Although, I am not the youngest in the office, and in fact... I am like the average age. But ohhh my, it looks funny when I act like I am 21 drinking wine.

It's funny, since a guy who is 26 thinks he's SOOOoooOoOO much older than me, just because he looks like 30.

Age is just a number.
You tell people that you work with that you're 21 because you don't want them to know that you're really TWO years older than that? What's the big deal? I doubt that most people can tell a difference between the two ages. If you were talking about 21 versus 28 or 29, then maybe there would be noticeable difference, but not between 21 and 23. You said that you're the average age of people in your office anyway, so why try to be younger?

I like to use your last statement about age being just a number myself, but because I'm middle aged and feel (and act) much younger than I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment