Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 04:40 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times

Advertisements

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

I agree with others, OP. Don't sweat it too much. You got this job when you had a 7 month gap on your resumé and leaving out the 2 months at this company is the sensible thing to do as it'll raise more questions than it's worth. Sorry it happened to you, particularly after all the hassle of relocating - something very similar happened to me and I know the feeling and it's horrible. Good luck!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-16-2014 at 05:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 05:09 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
To answer the OP's question, since you were fired from this last job, IMO it would be best to leave it off (because a prospective employer may want to contact them when during a background/reference check and they'll find out you were let go with cause).

Unfortunately, there are some employers who will wonder about and even turn you away because of your gap (New Jersey for example had to pass a law to make discrimination against the long-term unemployed illegal).

However, there are some ways in which you can address the gap if an employer expresses concerns about it. Here's a couple:

*If you're attending school, you can say you left the job from 10 months ago to focus on your studies.

*If you have a relative who's ill or disabled, you can say left the job to tend for your sick relative.

*If you have a friend or relative who owns a business, perhaps you can ask them to be a reference and say you worked for them.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:37 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
*If you're attending school, you can say you left the job from 10 months ago to focus on your studies.

*If you have a relative who's ill or disabled, you can say left the job to tend for your sick relative.

*If you have a friend or relative who owns a business, perhaps you can ask them to be a reference and say you worked for them.
In other words, you're advocating lying.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:12 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Alrighty then.

OP, don't lie. It won't help you and could definitely hurt you.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:14 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,822,657 times
Hope you find something soon!! Good vibes to you... Keep us posted!!!

Old 11-16-2014, 06:22 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,008 times
union pacific does this

go get your unemployment and move on

Old 11-16-2014, 06:45 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
You are better off not working for Union Pacific. Count your lucky stars that the position didn't last longer.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:31 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
I'm so sorry. I too would leave this job off your resume. But do, indeed, apply for unemployment and take any classes or any other help they offer to try and secure a position in your new environment. This kind of stuff happens to people who did nothing to deserve it. Hold you head high. I hope something better comes along for you. You must have a lot going for you if you were hired in the first place. Best of luck to you for a better future.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:43 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
I agree with a PP, I'd apply for unemployment then tell any future jobs you were laid off and that it was due to a reduction in work force.

Same thing happened to me man, it sucked but I found an even better job and now life is better than before. When it happened to me I thought it was the end of the world, but thankfully it wasn't.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:49 PM

125 posts, read 134,330 times
I doubt you'll get unemployment. If you do, it will be very low. You were unemployed for a long time and only worked two months.

This may not be honest, but I've done this before and it worked for me. I would give out resumes saying I'm still employed. What worked in my favor was that when I got fired from my old job, I was allowed to take off the vacation and sick time I had. As they didn't want to pay me for it. I was still "employed". I just played it cool on interviews. Thankfully, my former employers and boss had a terrible rep. It didn't raise eyebrows when I said I didn't enjoy the company environment any more. I would apply for jobs now and still say employed and then stop saying so in December. When people see you stop working in November, they won't know exactly when anyway. Your resume would say 9/14-11/14. It's not really lying. You worked the month of November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment