Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 06:10 PM

89 posts, read 169,799 times

Advertisements

My family and I would like to eventually move to a place with sunnier weather(we think) . We currently live in Portland, Oregon and have a lot of good things going for us here but we absolutley hate the weather.

My question is : Would you leave a job that you absolutely love, work from home, have a boss that is fantastic, and an income that exceeds your needs to move to nicer weather but start over?

The pros and cons of moving are this:

Pros of moving:
nicer weather
cheaper COL which means I can afford to make less and potentially travel less
Great public schools, no more private school payments
family closer( 7 hours away) although the relationship isnt the best
new church has huge sports ministry which is a passion of mine

Cons of moving. We would be giving up a :
great job
great church
great support system ( church, freinds, etc..)
Some extended family here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 06:23 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Knowing what I know now, I would never leave a great job like that for warmer weather. I have to ask, where are you thinking of? I dont know about southern Cali, but if its Florida, or anything below Virginia in the East, you are going to be hating life within 6 months.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:24 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
What I would do, is to make a list of states that have the kind of weather you're looking for. There are a lot of states you'll probably discount because of the potential for severe winters.

After I had my list, I would go through and look at the cost of living, property taxes, school systems, landscape, etc.

You may come away saying that the higher cost of living, the higher property taxes, and the schools are too much of a trade off. Or you'll find a better school system, reasonable property taxes and cost of living. Who knows what you'll find, but I think it's a starting point.

Weather does affect us, and I need the sun, but I'm not sure I would give up friends and family, and the jackpot of a great job where I feel some sense of security, to get it.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:27 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther2004 View Post
My family and I would like to eventually move to a place with sunnier weather(we think) . We currently live in Portland, Oregon and have a lot of good things going for us here but we absolutley hate the weather.

My question is : Would you leave a job that you absolutely love, work from home, have a boss that is fantastic, and an income that exceeds your needs to move to nicer weather but start over?

The pros and cons of moving are this:

Pros of moving:
nicer weather
cheaper COL which means I can afford to make less and potentially travel less
Great public schools, no more private school payments
family closer( 7 hours away) although the relationship isnt the best
new church has huge sports ministry which is a passion of mine

Cons of moving. We would be giving up a :
great job
great church
great support system ( church, freinds, etc..)
Some extended family here
I'd stay put and visit warmer weather on vacation.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:30 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
If you can afford where you are at, I don't see the lower COL being a big deal. You will also probably have a reduced salary to go with the reduced COL. It doesn't sound like the family connection has any significance. Have you tried to start/expand the sports ministry at your current church? I don't think I'd bail. If I did, I would already have a job lined up. You've got it better than most of the working world; are you sure you want to give that up for better weather?

Old 11-13-2014, 06:59 PM

89 posts, read 169,799 times
It is defiantly a tough choice. One day we are all in on moving and the next we are all in on staying.

Being on the fence sucks

Old 11-13-2014, 07:03 PM

701 posts, read 1,097,132 times
There is no way I'd leave. Good jobs are incredibly scarce right now. I'd just allocate more budget towards vacations in sunny areas.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:09 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
And working from home is a not only a nice perk, but saves you money in gas and wear and tear on your car. Add travel time to and from the office, which translates into less time with the family, and that's an important factor, too.

You have what many people here would kill for. If you have seasonal affective disorder, get some light boxes to combat it. If you don't, maybe learn to play in the rain a little.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:27 PM

701 posts, read 1,097,132 times
Btw, look on the bright side of staying put: every year you could pick out a new, sunny vacation destination, and then, unlike many people, actually be able to afford it. So one year, you could pick Arizona (which, IMO has the most perfect winters you can imagine,) and then Utah, Hawaii, New Mexico, Colorado, California, Florida, etc.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:31 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,804 times
You'd move because of the.......weather? Really? Wow...1st world problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment