Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 11:33 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Doh View Post
I'm surprised that Legal at a huge company would allow this to happen.
I'm kind of under the impression that "legal" at most huge companies is, above all, in the business of figuring out ways the company can save money in any manner "legal." If ripping off employees by changing their titles and reducing their PTO rates is legal and will save money, legal will recommend it be done. Whomever proposed the scheme probably got a raise.

I think it's certainly unethical to change your job title and not tell you, but would it actually violate a law? As much as I think you have every right to feel taken advantage of, I don't see what you will gain by complaining up the chain. The damage is done ... because you can't really apply for another job and say you're a supervisor, can you? (Unless you want to play dumb and take advantage of the fact they didn't tell you, which could backfire.)

I'd say try really hard to get a promotion at this place and then look for a new job and dump them ASAP. They deserve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 03:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
I've read this a couple of times and remain confused about what it is that's really bothering you. If your raises haven't been as large of late as they were in the past, there's nothing unusual or sinister about that. Businesses go through a lot of ups, downs and restructuring - and employee raises fluctuate likewise. It's unfortunate that you apparently weren't advised of any policy change where PTO is concerned (if there was a change and this part is confusing) but it doesn't sound as though this was a drastic change which severely affects you.

The issue you appear to be most distressed about is discovering that your job title has been changed in the system. What does it matter? If the garbage collector has the same duties and earnings and benefits as the "sanitation engineer" where's the rub? And what on earth could you possibly sue for? It seems on the face of it you've lost nothing at all. It's not a litigious matter.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:14 AM

263 posts, read 344,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Unless you have a written contract they can change titles, duties, pay, benefits and just about anything they want. Reclassifications, reorganizations, and some resulting layoffs are common and perfectly legal.
This is accurate

Old 11-14-2014, 06:06 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I don't think it is illegal for them to change your title (don't quote me). You are getting the same pay and the same benefits. Raises aren't as big nor is the PTO increase.

The company probably should have announced your title change and let you know. Perhaps it was an error for all you know! I have been through many company changes that included stopping 401k matching, changing bonus structures, raise freezes etc.

If if bothers you, ask, "Hey, I noticed my title changed in my Outlook account. Is this accurate?".

Old 11-14-2014, 09:18 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
I think many folks failed to read the OP.

The issue isn't that the company changed the OP's title, nor the fact that the company changed the OP's title without letting them know. It's the fact that the OP's employer promised to pay them one rate of pay for the former title but instead is paying them another despite (if I understand correctly) performing work for the former title.

The OP also mentioned that they have signed paperwork between him and the company agreeing to the old title they were promoted to.

So again, I think their best option would be to consult a lawyer for free.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I think many folks failed to read the OP.

The issue isn't that the company changed the OP's title, nor the fact that the company changed the OP's title without letting them know. It's the fact that the OP's employer promised to pay them one rate of pay for the former title but instead is paying them another despite (if I understand correctly) performing work for the former title.

The OP also mentioned that they have signed paperwork between him and the company agreeing to the old title they were promoted to.

So again, I think their best option would be to consult a lawyer for free.
I understood the post as written with some confusion as mentioned earlier but don't comprehend your interpretation of the portion of your response which I bolded. Simply because the OP hasn't received as generous a salary increase as in previous years is no indication at all that this relates to any change in title - for the reasons I stated earlier. If you're reading more into this and it's causing confusion then hopefully the poster will return to clarify.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:28 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Did classification change in regards to exempt vs non exempt? Is your overtime pay correct? That could be a huge issue if you worked overtime and weren't paid for it.

As far as job title changes and PTO changes, this has happened to me during re-organizations and I don't recall ever being notified about it. Usually, every year, we would get a notice about current PTO and that was that.

Like the OP, I would look up my job title in the database to determine where I was as far as salary caps/bonuses/PTO. That was simply the culture.

Whenever anyone complained about the changes, our employer simply told us it was a re-org, they changed policy, etc.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:34 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Companies can reduce pay for a group as long as it's across the board and not just some people they're doing this to.

They can reorganize and change titles, which could impact PTO, the range of raises allowed.

I think their only mistake is that they didn't inform anyone they were doing this.

We're not talking about a company that seems to be too concerned with taking appropriate precautions, however, or the op would never have been able to access her information in a file that contains salary of everyone else in the company. The entire company should never have access to that.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:40 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I understood the post as written with some confusion as mentioned earlier but don't comprehend your interpretation of the portion of your response which I bolded. Simply because the OP hasn't received as generous a salary increase as in previous years is no indication at all that this relates to any change in title - for the reasons I stated earlier. If you're reading more into this and it's causing confusion then hopefully the poster will return to clarify.
Here's what the OP said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4mb View Post
This job was a promotion to a low level executive (actually supervisor) but in my company it's also known as an executive. Came with a raise and more PTO.

Year #1 nice raise (for the industry), after year #2 raises have fallen in amounts, my reviews have stayed consistent with high ratings (no write-ups or performance plans, etc).

While talking to a coworker at another location but same position, we started discussing how something had changed with our raises, extra PTO and access to certain online documents.

Started poking around in the program that holds all employee information -- we only went in to check our information so nothing wrong with that.

Discovered our titles had changed -- the supervisor had been dropped
Again, maybe I misread the post (or maybe you and others did). But based on my understanding of the bolded, it appears their increases in salary since their promotion was taken away as a result of the title change (thus reducing their pay rate), even though they're still performing the duties of the former title.

But yes, perhaps the OP can clarify...

Old 11-14-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Here's what the OP said:

Again, maybe I misread the post (or maybe you and others did). But based on my understanding of the bolded, it appears their increases in salary since their promotion was taken away as a result of the title change (thus reducing their pay rate), even though they're still performing the duties of the former title.

But yes, perhaps the OP can clarify...
Thanks for the effort but there's no need to tell me what the OP said as I can read very well. I think you've taken things out of context and I believe nothing was "taken away". But this has already been opined so no point repeating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment