Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 09:05 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times

Advertisements

Thank you OP for sharing a story about someone else doing something very wrong. Now millions of people can read about it here. You should be commended for doing such a great service. reminds me of a story I read about a similar instance. A woman had done something similar and told the everyone about her friends indiscretion. Finally the friend took her sinner friend to a wise man to repent of her sins. The wise man told them that they would have to do a big job, The sinner was told to get a large bolder and move it from one of a field to another. The good friend that did her civic duty in telling everyone of the sin her friend had done had to collect small rocks and bring them to the wise man.

Many hours had passed and the woman finally had moved the bolder to the other side of the field. The wise man stopped them both. He motioned them to him. He told the them that they had both were part of the crime. The woman for committing the crime and the good friend for telling everyone. He then told the sinner, for forgiveness you need to move the bolder back where you found it. To the friend, for forgiveness you need to put all of these stones in exactly the same place that you found them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 09:23 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,097,725 times
It's absolutely okay to fire him for this. There has to be a line between whats okay in the workplace. All this drama which is what it is could easily be draged into the workplace in front of customers, could be accusations of favortism for whoever is sleeping with the manager, etc. Also, what parent is going to send their 16 year old daughter to work in a fast food place where the manager is sleeping with all the young girls. This is absolutely a fireable offense

Old 11-18-2014, 09:30 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
A high school friend of mine was cheating on his wife, and I found out today it was with a subordinate coworker!

He's 28, she's 20, and he's been at a local fast food restaurant since has 16, and was near to the point of being given his own restaurant. She was a shift manager, and apparently this got out, then he was fired. His 24 year old wife of seven years and three kids are gone.

How would you attempt to recover from this if you were him? Is this legal or ethical to fire someone for personal issues?
Back up for a minute. It has nothing to do with personal issues. Some companies have policy about employees in relationships with other employees, superiors, subordinates, etc.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:55 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I don't think it's right firing him over that but at least when it comes to his family falling apart, he deserves every bit of it.
Considering the liability risk he has exposed the company to, it was absolutely right to fire him.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:02 PM

625 posts, read 902,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
Cheaters like your friend doesn't deserve a job period. Why cheat? Just divorce the wife and kids and THEN pursue a relation with another woman. Problem solved.

Hit a sore spot uh A bit extreme to say he doesn't derserve a job.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:06 PM

625 posts, read 902,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It's a good topic of conversation and makes for juicy gossip.
lmao!!! OP with friends like you, he certainly doesn't need enemies. . Thanks for the lunch time entertainment. Tell your friend to say 20 Hail Marys. That should do it.

Last edited by mistym; 11-18-2014 at 12:19 PM..

Old 11-18-2014, 01:54 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,929 times
He'll have to move, but he'll find another job in the food industry, though he might have to work his way back up again.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:19 PM

804 posts, read 1,075,268 times
I worked for a company the ceo was screwing his secretary and snorting cocain in his office. One day the secretary was high and started running around the office yelling and cussing people. lol

Old 11-18-2014, 05:47 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
I worked for a company the ceo was screwing his secretary and snorting cocain in his office. One day the secretary was high and started running around the office yelling and cussing people. lol
Good times, good times.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:34 PM

339 posts, read 696,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
My understanding is that most companies these days won't do anything more than verify dates of employment when giving a reference. This is all second-hand info to me, but if that's true, I don't see this as something that will keep him from working in fast food again. As someone pointed out, fast food places (and all retail stores) always need competent managers, so if he can do that work, he should be able to get hired.

Assuming that his former employer just verifies his dates of employment, he may be able to brush it off with "I was breaking up with my wife and going through a lot of stress" or something like that. Not lying, but not telling the whole truth, either. Some places will probably read between the lines but some places probably won't care either way as long as he can do the job and doesn't get in trouble again.

TL;DR: This is a big *-up, but he should be able to recover (his career, not his marriage) if he is seriously willing to eat some crow and shape up.

I believe you are correct about the type of information employers are allowed to give out in terms of references; your dates of employment with the company, and, I believe they can give a salary range, Like mid 50s, not the specific annual salary you make or made when you left the company. As a matter of fact, for some companies, the management is told if they receive a call or letter for reference, it should be referred to HR for handling.

I think this trend started because some references that were given to perspective employers contained "TMI"- and this may have led to lawsuit or at the very least, people not getting jobs.

Now personal references obviously don't fall under this constraint, so it would still be wise to consider carefully who one chooses as a personal reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment