Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 08:28 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times

Advertisements

I consider myself to be a fair boss, as are my boss and my boss's boss. I have more education than either of my superiors, and my most recent hire has more education than me. That may be a function of the difficulty in getting good jobs and the overabundance of graduates/post graduate degree people available, but education has nothing to do with fairness. It's simply a matter of having respect for the employees that you manage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 08:40 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
The best bosses I ever had worked their way up through the ranks, and learned how to manage and Lead (which is more important than manage in my estimation) as their career grew, regardless of their education. The few bosses I have had that had advanced education and started off in a management role were usually the worst to work for, not only did they not really understand how sales really works, but they all thought they knew everything there was to know since they read a book or two about it.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:59 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Not necessarily. This is one of those things that has little to do with education. There are highly educated people who can't open their mouths without lying.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:28 AM

983 posts, read 995,187 times
You know, it kills me when I see managers who have bachelors and masters degrees and are terrible managers. You know they had to take interpersonal communications and human relations (or some form os those classes.) You know they've had advanced training, but it all goes out the window when they're on the job.

Working your way up, that doesn't mean much. It means you know your job, not how to manage people.

I guess it all boils down to what kind of person you are, your values, morals, and character.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:56 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
The boss's place is to supervise others. Some bosses, will actually not know how to do a particular job, but they can hire and supervise those that do know how. Them having advanced degrees are not as important as their ability to spot the right person for the job, and to be their supervisor is completely different.

Example when I was managing a business, I did not know how to keep proper books, but I knew how to read the books when they were put together by an accountant. On the other hand, I could hire a good accountant to keep the books, and was able to rely on them and their expertise.

A good boss's job, is to hire people he can trust to do the actual work, and over see those in the department. It is not good to micromanage everything, and a good boss knows this, and is willing to delegate certain jobs to others, who will oversee the rest of the staff.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:49 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,776,452 times
Actually I was thinking on correlation between ethics/empathy and education (learned a lot, or got through a selective school). Both areas are about understanding.
The first question is, if someone understands lots of things better (effect of education), then will it include understanding other people's feelings better too? The second question is if someone understands your feelings more, will he care about them more?

Old 11-17-2014, 05:26 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
my boss has a phd in civil engineering, he lets his under supers (bachelors/masters) run the company but he will pull the reins in tightly if they go the wrong way. in other words he quiet till something happens. But he doesn't concern himself with the bottom rungs, that the job of his under supers.

I been with him 31 years, he very fair

Old 11-17-2014, 06:10 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Default No...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Is a more educated boss (or co-worker) being more fair with others (you)?
Is he/she more secure, playing less politics, have more empathy...?
I mean someone with a higher academic degree, Bs, Ms, PhD...
As some have mentioned, I think it truly has more to do with a person's character and positive personality traits that makes anyone function well with others. From what I have seen, some people who become "in charge" for whatever reason, should not be, despite any level of education. It seems that typically, one will reach a level of status due to certain factors, regardless of negative traits, which can be detrimental to others.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:26 PM

260 posts, read 326,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Is a more educated boss (or co-worker) being more fair with others (you)?
Is he/she more secure, playing less politics, have more empathy...?
I mean someone with a higher academic degree, Bs, Ms, PhD...
no relation what so ever.

How ever, I the 2 worst bosses I had were the most insecure, had MBA and a JD.

The JD addressed me in such a way that had he addressed me that way in a bar he would have gotten punched out. I turned on Management Undermining on him, his bosses did not apologize sufficiently to me for his behavior, so I attacked the company, 2 weeks of jail for harassment later, the company let him go, guess I showed him.

The MBA never stops to consider that people have been working there longer and know more. Most of the time when speaks to you, you scratch you head. "How dumb does this clown things I am?" Basically if was my coworker I would keep him around like a clown, but he is my manager, I am supposed to listen to the nonsense that he otters. Basically he knows only how to play politics, and trying to play it on me. What I need is for an educated person to provide me with a requirements document.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment