Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 12:52 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,546,362 times

Advertisements

I think people are scared of a little friendly competition.
Also Please stop with "Obama ruined the Middle class with this decision"
A)Ronald Regan Did way more to ruin the Middle class 10 over Obama.

B)Most illegal workers will not be working American middle class jobs(see Above)

C)I dislike this guy like everybody else, but call it straight!
The erosion of the middle class in America Started way before Obama, and deep down you know it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 02:05 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I think people are scared of a little friendly competition ...
Might be true. More than 40% of Fortune 500 companies were founded by immigrants or their children. Ninety of the 500 companies had immigrant founders. The children of immigrants started another 114 of the companies. Included are such all-American brands as Disney, McDonald's, Budweiser, General Electric, IBM, AT&T, Google, Oracle, and Colgate. Take that, people who claim immigrants refuse to assimilate.

That observation was reported by Forbes magazine that found the statistic in research done by the Partnership for a New American Economy. Their report, The "New American" Fortune 500, can be found here:
http://www.renewoureconomy.org/sites...-june-2011.pdf

As for the idea that Hispanics don't know how to make money, please keep in mind that the richest man in the world for the past four years has not been Bill Gates or Warren Buffett. It's Carlos Slim Helu, a Mexican telecom mogul that Forbes says is worth $73 billion. And the third richest on the list, sandwiched between Gates and Buffett, is another Spanish-speaker, Amancio Ortega of Spain. He controls 60% of the shares of Inditex, one of Europe's richest retail conglomerates. ¡Olé!

Old 11-21-2014, 02:10 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I hate to burst your already fragile bubble but most of them won't make enough to have to pay any income taxes, and may even qualify for EITC's.
Very good point!

Plus they aren't coming here to take away skilled jobs. So the guy who mows the lawns can now be legal. I don't see how that's going to harm anything or anyone. The US is a nation of immigrants unless you're a Native America Indian. How quickly some people forget that.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:07 AM

271 posts, read 426,991 times
wow, some people here sound pretty ignorant and provincial. "we don't wanna be like india and china do we now? oooh..."
newsflash: india and china is kicking US butt.

also, there is becoming much less "them" and "us." globalization isn't just a concept -- it's reality. something happening across the world has reverberations right here in the good old USA. and what's happening in the US has ramifications in other parts of the world. may sound trite but seriously, we gotta work together as human beings, not try to constantly cause divisions by using terms like "the illegals."

Old 11-21-2014, 04:46 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,259 times
They already flooded construction and the such with cheap labor, so now it's time to open up the higher end jobs and get those wages lowered. That's why they have so many of those '1 hour of coding' and 'everybody needs to code' initiatives. Programmer and IT salaries are a little too high for these business CEOs liking, so they need to create initiatives to pare them down by introducing more competition.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:01 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
I agree, most are already working. But when word gets out that the door is open, we can expect an exponential increase in illegal immigration.
This is what I am worried about. The next wave to follow.

Also providing services for all of them. How much are they really going to pay in taxes? I don't think it will be enough to cover what they will be taking.

I would like to close the border and increase legal immigration. Then we can stop this out of control tide of illegal immigrants. We are literally giving work permits to illegals we know nothing about.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:04 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I think people are scared of a little friendly competition.
Also Please stop with "Obama ruined the Middle class with this decision"
A)Ronald Regan Did way more to ruin the Middle class 10 over Obama.

B)Most illegal workers will not be working American middle class jobs(see Above)

C)I dislike this guy like everybody else, but call it straight!
The erosion of the middle class in America Started way before Obama, and deep down you know it
1: Trickle down economics did anything but trickle down. Reagan gave corporate America billions and subsidies and all they did was pocket the money.

2: I am so sick and tired of hearing about Obama's amnesty. George W. Bush signed the amnesty law for central american people to come here. Therefore since the law already exists and cannot be amended without congress, which republicans block like everything else, then Obama can only attempt to make small changes to it. Then the Republicans lie and obfuscate about immigration being Obama's fault. ( note that not one republican nor fox news nor most other mainstream media ever mentioned that Bush actually signed that law) Because it served and continues to serve their purposes and the american electorate swallowed the lie hook, Line, and sinker. The founding fathers are spinning in their graves.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:05 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Might be true. More than 40% of Fortune 500 companies were founded by immigrants or their children. Ninety of the 500 companies had immigrant founders. The children of immigrants started another 114 of the companies. Included are such all-American brands as Disney, McDonald's, Budweiser, General Electric, IBM, AT&T, Google, Oracle, and Colgate. Take that, people who claim immigrants refuse to assimilate.

That observation was reported by Forbes magazine that found the statistic in research done by the Partnership for a New American Economy. Their report, The "New American" Fortune 500, can be found here:

As for the idea that Hispanics don't know how to make money, please keep in mind that the richest man in the world for the past four years has not been Bill Gates or Warren Buffett. It's Carlos Slim Helu, a Mexican telecom mogul that Forbes says is worth $73 billion. And the third richest on the list, sandwiched between Gates and Buffett, is another Spanish-speaker, Amancio Ortega of Spain. He controls 60% of the shares of Inditex, one of Europe's richest retail conglomerates. ¡Olé!
They were probably founded by legal immigrants. How about we close the borders and double or triple legal immigration, so we know who is entering the country? I don't know of any other country that is so lax about their borders and who gives work permits to illegals.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:12 AM

101 posts, read 141,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

They came here LEGALLY. Are you that freaking dense that you don't understand the difference between legal and illegal? The border jumpers broke the law. Nobody is saying don't have immigration, but do it the right way. The King should not just allow six million people all of sudden to get work permits, especially people who broke the law. At least the Emperor only made their work permits temporary and they can't get citizenship, so when he is gone from office in two years, the government will know who they are and deport them.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:36 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,281 times
In my opinion, this was done, and at this time, not 6 years ago, to get back at the populace for voting in republicans and voting out democrats.

it's akin to a temper tantrum. And by a person never qualified to be in this office to begin with. It's juvenile, misguided, and dangerous.

I hope all of you folks, most of whom are smarter than I am, are also smart enough to realize that to a career politician (from both sides of the aisle), the world really does only come down to votes and R vs. D. They live in a bubble up there on that hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment