Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you regularly use profanity at work?
I use profanity so others can hear me 14 7.18%
I use profanity in small groups of coworkers 59 30.26%
I use profanity under my breath 36 18.46%
I abstain from using profanity 86 44.10%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:58 PM

1,072 posts, read 845,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
This isn't the 1950's. People swear. Deal with it.

" decline of the western civilization" ?

oh no , the ostrich syndrome.

If it is unacceptable behavior and causes unrest or divisiveness in the workplace, which, I am sure it is , it should be discouraged .
;profanity is upsetting to everyone that is forced to listen to it or is on the receiving end of it.
I'd say the majority of the time it is used it merely makes the situation worse and creates more tension in the room then lessens it.
All around No No .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 08:13 PM

206 posts, read 1,134,931 times
If anyone at my job talked like this they would be fired... especially for talking like this to a CEO, President, Owner or customer. we have to sign an agreement yearly that says we are aware of how to treat each other with dignity and respect. There is absolutely no swearing allowed as well as racial, sexual or derogatory talk in any way shape or form. This kind of disrespect is not tolerated at all.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:52 AM

520 posts, read 1,853,726 times
I want to clarify my position a bit...

I absolutely have a problem with profanity if it is being used in a derogatory manner towards another employee. When getting chewed out my boss I would not expect to hear that kind of language directed at me.

When I'm in the middle of an 8-hour simulation and the power goes out I think its ok to curse a bit. Its not directed at anybody, is not meant to insult. I don't have a problem with this kind of profanity.

I also don't have a problem with its usage in casual conversation but some people do so I generally refrain.

Appropriateness depends on the context and environment. At many businesses its perfectly ok to swear all the time. At my current job, the president and vps curse all the time.

Context and environment...

Old 01-09-2008, 07:24 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfarmlady View Post
If anyone at my job talked like this they would be fired... especially for talking like this to a CEO, President, Owner or customer. we have to sign an agreement yearly that says we are aware of how to treat each other with dignity and respect. There is absolutely no swearing allowed as well as racial, sexual or derogatory talk in any way shape or form. This kind of disrespect is not tolerated at all.
I think this is wonderful, I'm glad to know there are still places that will not put up with filthy talk. I wish more places where like this.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:01 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
I'll stop swearing when my co-workers stop discussing their religion (or what's going on at their church) in the workplace. I'm sick of hearing about it.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:43 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
As long as customers are not around and no one is offended, who cares? You are obviously offended so I wouldn't swear around you.
I kind of agree with this but I think the difficulty lies in knowing for definite that nobody is offended - where I work, many of us do swear within groups of friends where we know from experience that nobody is offended by it, and generally out of the office situation, say at lunch or on the way out to the car park.

However in the office I don't swear, or if I accidentally do it audibly I apologise, because you never really know who might be offended by it.

In open plan offices people can be offended by really weird stuff as well and you can't be too careful. A manager of a team I was in years ago used to call us "ladies" - we were all women - but someone complained because it made it sound like no man could ever join the team, apparently. Bonkers.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:48 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times
I had already ended my replies on this Thread, but the more replies I read the more I have these questions:
Why Oh Why do people have to use profanity at the workplace anyway?There is absolutely no other way to cope with stress???
If you do use profanity at work, do you also talk the same way at home around husband, wife, kids? I have used some profanity at work, but don't say (or like hearing at all) the "f" word or the "JC" word or the "G" word. Is there any logical reasons to use "those" words at work or at home???? If this is this "now generation" of speech, we'd better find out why!!!! Is it that some people just don't care anymore about how they talk????

Old 05-21-2010, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,528 times
Lightbulb Keep it out of the office, at least.

I quit my job today, because of the neverending profanity I had to endure in the workplace.

I was an Office Assistant for a chemical storage/brokerage company, and thought I had landed a good job. However, my co-worker (whom I had to spend 8 hours a day sharing a cubicle with) had a potty mouth that Dice Clay would give his right arm for. One of her favorite expressions was, "OMG! You dirty little SL*@!!! Hahahaaa!!" And, that was the censored version. She only used this language towards men, and it was always sexual in tone, in response to non-sexual happenings/stimuli. Every other word was the "F" bomb I see referred to here. I'm no saint, but she sickened me. Her mouth was so foul, I just couln't take it anymore. And, she loved to recant all her bar hoppings, and personal "doings" with her husband. Out loud! Yelling down the hall! Gross!

The boss thought it was alright, as she was the only Office Manager they could find who could handle the responibilities. I feel sorry for him. I don't know what they will do when one of our more conservative chemical companies (most of them are) sends a Rep...who may catch an earful of HER, first hand.

I feel that profanity in the workplace should not exist. And, if it does...it should surely be "under your breath". Also, I would like people to know that this is the only job I have ever "quit". And, I have never been fired or laid off since joining the workforce in the 1990's. Thank you.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:31 PM

244 posts, read 814,652 times
I can understand how it feels to work in a place with constant profanity. I worked at a job from hell for over a year where some co-workers, including my boss, would freely cuss out loud like it was nobody's business. I worked in a very small work area so you could hear everybody's conversation and personal business so it was really annoying. I cuss at times, but I try to keep it out of the workplace or under my breath. There's no reason for cussing to be going on in the workplace. Take it outside or just don't do it at all. I made good use of my headphones at that job.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:40 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,656,730 times
Proper decorum in the business environment is something I've been ingrained with for much of my career. Seems, though, as of late, that the new breed of mangement are not proponents of this concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment