Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 06:24 AM

518 posts, read 469,677 times

Advertisements

I have an acquaintance who was fired from his job and was given "False information on application" as the reason. When he questioned them they said he stated on his application that he was not committing acts in violation of state laws or the state constitution and it had come to their attention that he was. They stressed that they were not firing him for the acts itself but for providing false information on his application.

I would think that you could fire almost anyone with a question like that on your application. Has anyone seen anything like this? What should he do, if anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 06:32 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopRidge View Post
I have an acquaintance who was fired from his job and was given "False information on application" as the reason. When he questioned them they said he stated on his application that he was not committing acts in violation of state laws or the state constitution and it had come to their attention that he was. They stressed that they were not firing him for the acts itself but for providing false information on his application.

I would think that you could fire almost anyone with a question like that on your application. Has anyone seen anything like this? What should he do, if anything?
Did he falsify his answer?

Old 11-23-2014, 06:33 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
You can fire someone for fraud. Since your friend committed fraud, he should start sending out resumes and find a new job.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Did he falsify his answer?
He answered no to the question. He say's he is not aware of any state law he is violating.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You can fire someone for fraud. Since your friend committed fraud, he should start sending out resumes and find a new job.
Fraud requires the knowledge that you are providing false information, I would think. He claims he still cannot derermin any law of the state he is in violation of.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Fraud requires the knowledge that you are providing false information, I would think. He claims he still cannot derermin any law of the state he is in violation of.
I was under the impression that your friend intentionally gave false information.

Either way, the employer has the right to discontinue the employment.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
I was under the impression that your friend intentionally gave false information.

Either way, the employer has the right to discontinue the employment.
Well what if it was something in the state constitution that the federal courts have struck down. While it remains in the state constitution you could be fired for doing something the Feds say you can do. We think it is because he is married to a white woman. In our state constitution that is forbidden. But the question was not are you in an interracial marriage it was are you in violation of any state law or the state constitution. He cannot get them to admit what it was.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Well what if it was something in the state constitution that the federal courts have struck down. While it remains in the state constitution you could be fired for doing something the Feds say you can do. We think it is because he is married to a white woman. In our state constitution that is forbidden. But the question was not are you in an interracial marriage it was are you in violation of any state law or the state constitution. He cannot get them to admit what it was.
Good luck proving that. You're never going to get an employer to admit to that.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Good luck proving that. You're never going to get an employer to admit to that.
That's what I told him. But if this is true, and I have no way of proving it, perhaps they have found a way around Federal anti-discrimination laws. Just think of some of the things that remains on the books of states and state constitutions that could be enforced through such a practice.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
That's what I told him. But if this is true, and I have no way of proving it, perhaps they have found a way around Federal anti-discrimination laws. Just think of some of the things that remains on the books of states and state constitutions that could be enforced through such a practice.
No state would hold this up. They know that it would immediately be appealed.

The reality is that the employer doesn't need any reason to fire you or your friend. They can just do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search