Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:16 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,662 times

Advertisements

My wife is in retail management . With the trend today of hiring mostly part time workers , availability is a big issue . If you cannot work on those days when you are most needed , they don't have any reason to interview you .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 09:28 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Every single job application I've looked at involving retail has mentioned the need to work weekends and holidays. Sorry church falls on Sunday. Not the fault of the business that needs workers.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:39 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
So there is an expectation for the business to work around church schedule but churches won't work around work schedules?

Old 11-23-2014, 09:41 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,039,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Right, because Judaism and Christianity are the only religions. Makes sense
I was just using them as examples since they are the dominant religions where I live. The same accommodations and responsibilities would apply to all religions.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:42 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Every single job application I've looked at involving retail has mentioned the need to work weekends and holidays. Sorry church falls on Sunday. Not the fault of the business that needs workers.
I've worked in customer service my whole life and it's just a fact that there's really no such thing as weekends/holidays as far as time off. I work for Walmart and we DO have a few who don't work Sunday for religious reasons but it's such a miniscule number it doesn't affect scheduling in the least. Personally I work Sunday because they pay me more to do it. I attend services in the evening.

When I applied to Walmart I said I wanted part time and my available hours were 7 AM to 9 PM. I didn't think about days off because I just 'assumed' I'd get two days off in a row. Then for a long time I was being scheduled split days off which, after a while, got really aggravating. So I changed it! I said I wanted Tues. and Wed. off every week and that's what I've had for the past two years. IF I had said I wanted Sun. and Mon. or Fri. and Sat. I would have got that. Walmart is not so hard nosed that they won't work with their employees. I am considering cutting my hours after New Years and they'll accommodate me on that too.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:43 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
I'm an atheist, what day should I get off?

6,985 posts, read 7,039,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Not all Catholics observe on Sunday.. btw...
I'm not aware of any Catholics who observe a day other than Sunday. But if they exist, then give them off whatever day that need, and require them to work on Sundays.

518 posts, read 469,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
Walmart is not weeding out people for religous purposes.

Walmart is simply wanting people who can work any time any day.
There are plenty of those people.
If there weren't then Walmart would have to re-consider their policy.

Simple issue of supply and demand.
I think you are correct but the end effect is the same. I think they are very smart to do it the way they do to avoid legal issues as well.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
And it is not just Walmart.

I have applied at Target, CVS, Walgreen, etc. on their online application system.

They all want to know when you can work.

You should expand your world beyond your dislike of Walmart.
I don't have a dislike for Walmart, I was just aware of there practice. I am not aware of any others. Thank you for sharing some of them with us. As I have said many times already, I think Walmart is smart for doing it this way. I don't know why you would think I have a dislike for Walmart unless you are not reading my post.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
So there is an expectation for the business to work around church schedule but churches won't work around work schedules?
I personally have believed for a long time that churches should have services on different days and times to make it possible for it's members who have to work during traditional services times. I would think this would be attractive to working people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment