Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 02:47 PM

6 posts, read 4,146 times

Advertisements

Bottom line, I'm 36 year old, I have a masters degree yet I feel like I have never advanced in my career. I had my first real job probably 2 years after graduating undergrad. It was in a call center at an excellent higher ed publishing company. I learned a lot there and as far as customer support roles go I felt lucky to be there-great customers, great people to work with, pay was great, etc. I applied for another job in the same company and got it...it was in a sales dept. It was not a good move. I basically ended up being a sales support person to some very picky sales reps. I was not happy but got promoted to an assistant manager role. At the same time I went back to school to get a masters in communications management. All was ok, then in 2009 I was laid off. I was told it was due to lack of funds, but really I had a new boss who I think was not happy with me and wanted someone else for the role.

I ended up graduating with my degree and got another position about 6 months later at another great company but in somewhat of an entry level role. Stayed there two year, felt I was never going to move on and realized I did not like the work. I moved on to a different company-a start up at a very innovative company whose founder was a bigger well known reputable company. I started out as an executive assistant of all things, realized it was a terrible fit and moved into another customer support role. I am content-it's not phone support, it's all over email, I feel like I learn new things every day, like the people I work with and my boss...I've been there over two years and have not been promoted. During all this time, I've gotten married, bought a house, and had a baby. I was on maternity leave and went back about 3 months ago.

I just feel like my 'career' has been a failure. I havent found a specific skill that i felt I could just run with. I met with my boss last week and she was like, so i wanted to ask you something. I felt nervous, but she went to ask me what i would like to do...do i see myself moving on from the dept, is there anything i'd like to in addition to what i'm doing, maybe something with communications. It felt like a sad conversation for me. My boss said, it's not like you have to do any extra work if you dont want to, i just want to be sure you're happy. Two people are moving on to do more 'technical' things with in the dept and she didnt want me to feel like i'd been passed over.

Honestly if I won the lottery tomorrow I"d quit my job and maybe open a cupcake shop or some type of clothing boutique. None of that is possible...i feel like i'm stuck in a job for a paycheck that isnt even that much. And I feel like these days you cant just do your 'job' you have to do more and think of the next step. I'm brainstorming types of projects I could work on in addition to what I"m already doing but it's hard for me to think of anything....especially when i have a 6 month old and a husband who works a lot.

Some people are just 'go getters.' I guess I havent been. I dont think I'm lazy, I always do my job but there are always people out there who it seems are 'hungrier' than i am and find ways to get promoted. I'm not old, but I'm not as young as the 23/24 year olds that get hired these days and have soo much potential and time. Am I doomed? I want to feel like I'm doing something meaningful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 02:53 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
why does everybody have to get promoted every couple years, its all on the petersen prinicpal anyway. I been with my company 31 years, I hated it the day i started, i hate it today, but the company nice and i need a paycheck. ,maybe you just not suppose to be happy in a job, kinda like tom hanks in the movie, joe vs the volcano

everybody says the grass is greener on the other side, maybe its already dead and bare on the other side

Old 11-23-2014, 03:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Take what your boss said seriously. As a manager myself, I am constantly encouraging my people to take outside training (that we pay for) in order to improve their chances to move up. I also try to challenge them with more interesting, and difficult work if I think they are up to it. It sounds like you have a good boss that is trying to be helpful, but you also need to have motivation to improve yourself, and think about the other, higher up jobs in your organization that you might like to do. I have found that it's not a matter of being "hungry" as much as being comfortable, and having some fear of trying something new.
I changed careers completely at 40, and again at 58. Sure, there was some worry, but it worked out much for the better each time.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:56 PM

49 posts, read 77,219 times
Usually, although not always, you get back what you put into it.
Doing your job and getting a paycheck to support your life is meaningful.
If you don't like your situation, then change it. If you can't change it, then accept it for what it is.
It seems that your priority is your baby now, right?
Your time and energy are finite, if you put more into one area then you'll take it away from another.
It's your choice of what to focus on. But it's hard to have it all.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:05 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
If you want to have a cupcake shop that's what you should do! You only live once, take a chance if you fail, at least you tried.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:39 PM

820 posts, read 1,209,095 times
Start by getting your cupcakes into other bakeries or shops. Less overhead higher profit.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:38 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times
GO for the cupcake business! But did you take out student loans for the degrees?

Old 11-24-2014, 07:39 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Take what your boss said seriously. As a manager myself, I am constantly encouraging my people to take outside training (that we pay for) in order to improve their chances to move up. I also try to challenge them with more interesting, and difficult work if I think they are up to it. It sounds like you have a good boss that is trying to be helpful, but you also need to have motivation to improve yourself, and think about the other, higher up jobs in your organization that you might like to do. I have found that it's not a matter of being "hungry" as much as being comfortable, and having some fear of trying something new.
I changed careers completely at 40, and again at 58. Sure, there was some worry, but it worked out much for the better each time.
I agree with this. I started in the publishing industry in a call center as well. They way I've moved up is always looking for opportunities outside of my day to day responsibilities. That is the best way for you to stand out to management. Set up another meeting with your boss and talk about ways you can contribute outside of your normal duties. Maybe there's a project she could have you take on or -- better yet -- look for a problem in your area and come up with a way to solve it. It doesn't have to be anything monumental -- just something to make people's lives easeir or the workplace more efficient.

Your manager sounds like she cares about your career, which is fantastic. Use that to your advantage and brainstorm on ways you can contribute and get varied experience.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:56 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
You stay at places for two years, your not motivated, and you wonder why you have not been promoted? Could be because you're always a short term employee and you are not motivated. You don't have a career -- you have a series of entry level jobs.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:51 AM

6 posts, read 4,146 times
'But did you take out student loans for the degrees?'

Thankfully no

'You don't have a career -- you have a series of entry level jobs.'

Right that's how it feels. And that's why I'm posting here and depressed about it.

'You stay at places for two years'

Well not entirely true. I stayed at one place for almost 6 years. I stayed in the call center of that place for 2 years, then moved to another dept and was there for 3 and laid off. My next place i did stay at only for two years because it was just a horrible place to work. I was lucky to get hired at the company I'm now at. I really really like the company I'm currently at, just not sure about staying in this job forever. I want to do more...i just have trouble figuring out what i should be doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment