Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 03:05 PM

218 posts, read 392,622 times

Advertisements

I had an interview for an admin at a school. They called me a week later and told me they really liked me and wanted me to meet with the Director. I came back and was their for 2 hours. They also showed me around the school and told me details about all the classes and the history of the teachers. Introduced me to everyone and said I would possibly be joining them as an admin. Before I left they gave me the DCFS paperwork and said they think I would be a great fit and would let me know by the end of the week or beginning of next week. I went home and emailed a thank you note. The director called me and said she had such a nice time talking to me that she forgot to ask if she can call my past employers to verify. She understood she couldn't call my current one but would call the other 2. Then asked if I was given the offer how soon I could start. I didn't hear anything Friday but found out from my friend and also 2 past coworkers that the employer called and left them voicemails. So they are checking my references.

My other questions are could there still be other candidates?
Since they couldn't get a hold of my references on friday will that hinder my chances? They are so busy at work and might play phone tag.
My one friend called back but the employer was gone for the day so she left a VM. My other coworker said she received a message and will call her back Monday morning. I hope she follows up. My 3rd ref didn't respond when I asked him if he received a call and if he would call back.
Do they have to speak to all 3?

Mod note: Four threads on this topic have been merged into this one. If some posts seem out of order, that is the reason. Please - no personal attacks, and stay on topic. Thanks.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-25-2014 at 07:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 04:28 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,543,036 times
Mod cut. Orphaned.

Generally, when you get to the stage where references are being called, companies have made their decision on one person, and are only doing the background check before an offer is made. That's what I have found in business. I have no experience in education, but assume they wouldn't call references on two people at the same time.

It sounds like you are their top candidate at this time. Things can change, there may be delays, but it sounds favorable for you.

Good luck!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-25-2014 at 07:13 AM..

Old 11-23-2014, 04:37 PM

Thank you. They understood they can't call my current employer. Do you think they will call them after I'm hired, if I am that is, and have given notice or would they be done checking references by then. I just worry because even though we are slow and there are layoffs I know they will be suprised and unhappy if I give notice and might not give me a favorable review because of it.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,038,481 times
It's a holiday week. Some people take the entire week off. I would consider it unlikely that you would get hired this week. Don't stress about not hearing back.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian4488 View Post
Thank you. They understood they can't call my current employer. Do you think they will call them after I'm hired, if I am that is, and have given notice or would they be done checking references by then. I just worry because even though we are slow and there are layoffs I know they will be suprised and unhappy if I give notice and might not give me a favorable review because of it.

No, current employers are off limits and once you've turned in your notice, the hiring company has done enough due diligence that they're not going to go back and call them. They'll be done with their process at that point.

As Bo said, with the holiday, it may take longer than normal.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:24 PM

Thanks. I don't know the pay yet.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:37 PM

Do companies usually only call for the top candidate?

Old 11-23-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian4488 View Post
Do companies usually only call for the top candidate?
Yes. They pick the applicant they want to hire, then call their references / do a background check. Once that is complete, an offer is made.

It would be a waste of time for companies to check references on a second applicant who is only going to be hired if their favorites references didn't pan out, or if the offer was declined.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:09 PM

What if one of my references doesn't call back? I know all employers are different.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:14 PM

They will leave a message and expect the reference to return the call within a reasonable period of time - that day or the next. If they don't hear back, they'll either ask you for a different reference or they'll proceed with what they have.

Last edited by MPowering1; 11-23-2014 at 09:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment