Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 01:28 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

There are some companies that I see job postings for online, but when I check their Glassdoor ratings and reviews, I am turned off. Some of them get bad ratings like 2.5 with a recommendation to friends rating of like 40%. And the comments say things like "poor work/life balance" or "high employee turnover" or "below market pay." I mean, these things scare me.

Likewise, I have seen some companies get pretty decent reviews with ratings of like 3.5, but when I ask my friends who work at the company they tell me to stay away and look elsewhere, because of reasons such as stressful work environment, long hours, high turnover, etc.

I'm confused and wish there was an accurate way to evaluate whether working at a company would be good or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 01:32 PM

416 posts, read 871,405 times
I can't speak for the ratings, but I can speak for the salary reviews - most of them are nowhere near actual numbers at my company (Glass Door reviews show much lower than hiring salaries at my current company). Either the people reporting live in BFE, or the data is outdated by 10 years.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:39 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,959 times
I wouldn't "rely on" the information you find there, but it can be a useful data point. If you read that training is poor, for example, make sure you ask questions during the interview that deal with how new hires are trained. If turnover is an issue, ask how long the team has been together. Etc, etc, etc. Employer ratings can give you an idea of what to be on the lookout for, but they rarely paint a complete picture of the workplace.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:39 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Take it with a big grain of salt...a big grain. The accuracy is very questionable. You know that right?

Old 11-24-2014, 01:48 PM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
With any sort of review, the people who are most dissatisfied are the loudest. It's worth looking into, but be aware that the comments are most likely to be dissatisfied anyway.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:00 PM

285 posts, read 534,249 times
Take it with a grain of salt like someone else mentioned, but personally I think it's helpful for getting a general idea of what it's like to work somewhere. Some reviews could be angry ex-employees who got fired, some positive reviews could be the company itself! A lot of the reviews tend to be vague and not as detailed as I'd like. I think the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. Most recently, I read some pretty poor Glassdoor reviews on an organization that was trying to recruit me. I agreed to the interview but they had some shady reports online through the BBB and other websites where customers were complaining about their practices. This might not be an issue for some, but I don't want to work for or be associated with a company that reflects badly on me. The recruiter claimed they'd re-vamped their management and the company had turned around. Fair enough. Came across the Glassdoor reviews, which offered details about the job that had been denied by the recruiter. Asked about these details at the interview with the hiring manager, turned out the Glassdoor poster had been correct. Dodged a bullet, didn't take the job. I look at it as supplemental research.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
With any sort of review, the people who are most dissatisfied are the loudest. It's worth looking into, but be aware that the comments are most likely to be dissatisfied anyway.
And there are many many other reasons.

For example, one reviewer is rating an entire company? Come on. If the place has more than one department or more than one supervisor you don't know who or what the rating is based on. The reviewer could be drunk, you don't know these people. Heck, I can review an organization just for fun.

Come on OP.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:10 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotocatmom View Post
Take it with a grain of salt like someone else mentioned, but personally I think it's helpful for getting a general idea of what it's like to work somewhere. Some reviews could be angry ex-employees who got fired, some positive reviews could be the company itself! A lot of the reviews tend to be vague and not as detailed as I'd like. I think the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. Most recently, I read some pretty poor Glassdoor reviews on an organization that was trying to recruit me. I agreed to the interview but they had some shady reports online through the BBB and other websites where customers were complaining about their practices. This might not be an issue for some, but I don't want to work for or be associated with a company that reflects badly on me. The recruiter claimed they'd re-vamped their management and the company had turned around. Fair enough. Came across the Glassdoor reviews, which offered details about the job that had been denied by the recruiter. Asked about these details at the interview with the hiring manager, turned out the Glassdoor poster had been correct. Dodged a bullet, didn't take the job. I look at it as supplemental research.
I agree. I mean, if a company has an overwhelming amount of negative reviews.....that just can't be a good thing. It very well could be a bad place to work.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:16 PM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
And there are many many other reasons.

For example, one reviewer is rating an entire company? Come on. If the place has more than one department or more than one supervisor you don't know who or what the rating is based on. The reviewer could be drunk, you don't know these people. Heck, I can review an organization just for fun.

Come on OP.
True. My team runs smoothly, but some other teams in the division of the company I'm in - not so much. I honestly have no clue what goes on in other divisions and couldn't properly evaluate them.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
True. My team runs smoothly, but some other teams in the division of the company I'm in - not so much. I honestly have no clue what goes on in other divisions and couldn't properly evaluate them.
Thanks Emigrations.

Hear that OP? If this guy's organization gets some bad reviews because a different dept is a bad place or had some wacky employees, then this guy may get the brunt of that. But his area is OK. And it can be the reverse.

Go ahead and look at the reviews but don't let it affect you much. Stay old school and go with your gut and with what trusted people that you know advise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search