U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:25 PM

232 posts, read 1,188,669 times
Yes, it is a real pain. I know I'm just going to have to pick up my networking efforts a lot. But it is irritating as I really feel that people look at someone with my background as if to say "you should keep working as a police officer, so people like myself don't have to". They all seem to be quite interested in the war stories and so forth, and thus far all my interviews have made me feel as if they were interested in my qualifications. But in the end, it just hasn't come together yet. Maybe it should just continue to serve as fuel for me, as I don't give up very easily. I really want to just try my hand at business ownership, as I feel I could be successful in that arena. Ideally, I'd like to own a private security company.

Any more input or experiences would be great.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 06:47 PM

14 posts, read 137,825 times
Hey Steven,

Any success yet?

I just "retired" from law enforcement as well. I'm 36 and had 13 years of full-time patrol in a city PD.

I've spent the last couple of months doing some traveling and trying to clear my head and think about what this next chapter in my life will entail. I haven't had anything jump out at me yet, but I'm trying to be patient. Most of my problem stems from the fact that I felt a "calling" toward law enforcement when I was 18, and even though my interest in that career has faded, I'm not finding another "calling" like I would have hoped. You know as well as I do how unique police work is. And ironically, not a lot of police work is transferable to other careers, nor does it impress on a resume for private sector work.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I'm currently reading a book called "What Color is Your Parachute" by Richard Nelson Bolles. The first part of the book is strictly devoted to how to get a job. It covers using contacts and building networks, researching careers, how to excel at job interviews, etc. Although I haven't had a chance yet to put this part of the book to use yet, I found it extremely well written, easy to read, and full of insights and advice. I'm just starting to get into the next portion, which covers the big question, "What do I want to do now?" It's an excellent book.

Don't know if that's any help or not. Mostly, I just wanted to chime in and also ask if you'd had any success since you last posted.

Tony

Old 03-21-2008, 09:11 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,813,158 times
Have you looked at potential jobs that would utilize your previous background in law enforcement? Working in the banking industry, I know we have fraud investigators that handle crimes committed against the institution. There is also compliance work that usually fits under various regulated industries - our compliance officer is actually ex-law enforcement.

Staying on the "compliance" front, many organizations now have various business continuity planning groups - this include pandemic planning groups as well as disaster recover groups.... all of which normally have interactions with local/state/federal governments. Something that I'd think would fit with your business management and law enforcement background.

just my .02.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:36 PM

3,953 posts, read 6,348,316 times
I had a friend that was a Virginia State Trooper for a few years, but the low pay wasn't cutting it.

He ended up getting a security job with United Parcel Service. Initially, he found himself back in an unmarked car, with a radar gun in his lap....but for more than twice the money!

PS: No offense, Steve, but my dog could have been a successful Realtor in 2005!

Old 01-14-2010, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 13,851 times
Steven2149, did you make your career transition?

I just found this thread and thought it was very interesting. I write resumes and do some career counseling, and my recommendation would have been for you to use every available resource to adjust your resume to the line of work you were most interested in. I always tell people to get as much help as possible with resumes, interviewing, information interviews, networking, etc.

Please post if you receive this note. I'd really like to hear how you're doing with your career transition.

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 13,163 times
Hi there,

Keep trying! I left the law enforcement arena apprx. 9 yrs ago. I had 12 years under my belt. My husband left with 13. My husband had always known he wanted to be self employed. In short, he purchased a small window covering business and he did that for 3 years. We went from two top salary Advanced post officers to one income(that he had to create). We made the commitment to each other that we would step out in faith with no regrets. He went into partnership with two others business men about six years ago. He was the CEO and his team grew the company from $1million to apprx. 15 million. He doesn't have a business degree but he read a lot and surrounded himself with the right team to mentor him. He's a natural leader but has the humility to listen and follow. It hasn't been an easy road but he has been persistent. The business world has been more cutthroat then anything we dealt with in the field.He ended up selling the company and is in the market looking for new opportunites. As we know from dealing with people, degrees look good on the wall but have little to do with common sense and relating to people. He recently read a book written by Ryan Blair, "Nothing to Lose" he said this book was more informative than any busy theory learned in college. It would have saved him tons of grief and lots of money. Good Luck, keep the faith and know this world is full of opportunitys for people willing to do what most wont. My husband is not an overnight success story but a story of a determined man who had sleepless nights, financial strains all to follow the american dream. He said he wont ever go back to being employed no matter what the road brings.

Last edited by cbusic10; 09-17-2010 at 08:25 PM..

Old 11-02-2012, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 8,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven2149 View Post
Yes, it is a real pain. I know I'm just going to have to pick up my networking efforts a lot. But it is irritating as I really feel that people look at someone with my background as if to say "you should keep working as a police officer, so people like myself don't have to". They all seem to be quite interested in the war stories and so forth, and thus far all my interviews have made me feel as if they were interested in my qualifications. But in the end, it just hasn't come together yet. Maybe it should just continue to serve as fuel for me, as I don't give up very easily. I really want to just try my hand at business ownership, as I feel I could be successful in that arena. Ideally, I'd like to own a private security company.

Any more input or experiences would be great.

Thanks
So it's been over 4 years since your original post, but I'm curious whatever happened with your move into the private sector. I hope it went well.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,493 times
I just came across this thread as I was searching for a new career myself hoping to transition from law enforcement to the private sector. I hope things went well for Steven. It is hard when you make a decision based on aspirations to make a change and realize it is a very political world. I have 12 years of good solid dedicated service with experience in what I think are good areas and in the initial search for a different job it does not look like I have any sought after skills. Discouraging but let the search continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment