Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2014, 02:24 PM

218 posts, read 393,765 times

Advertisements

I did one for an employment agency and requested a copy. All that it said was no felonies of misdemeanors found. I once told a job I was still employed. Nothing came back on the background check to say I wasn't. Again was just criminal background. I don't need a lecture about lying I just wonder what most background checks are for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 02:39 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,432,609 times
usually they check for criminal records (country, state, local county, etc.) and will also check your most recent workplaces to ensure that you worked there. if you have college degrees they will also verify those. i believe that sometimes they will also verify your start/end dates at your last few companies and colleges.

if you have slight discrepancies, it's usually ok (e.g., you say that you started school in august but you really started in september), etc.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:42 PM

218 posts, read 393,765 times
Do the background checks say when you started and left? It just seems like background checks I've come across only check criminal.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:08 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,667,981 times
im not sure where they get employment verification from, either from direct contact with the former employer or a Consumer Reporting Agency contacts the former employer and reports the results to the employer. sometimes employer info shows up on FICO/credit reports but not always the dates. no idea how they check to see if someone isn't employed

types of background checks vary. for criminal checks that are mandated(like banking, securities, etc), they usually go thru state fingerprint repositories. for criminal checks that are not mandated they are considered discretionary meaning the employer is not mandated do them but they do it for employment screening purposes, risk management. for this the employers usually use reporting agencies to pull criminal records from the courts

other public records like bankruptcies and lawsuits judgments can be reported tho its less common

driving records can be reported with the applicant's signature

Old 11-26-2014, 03:15 PM

797 posts, read 751,473 times
They do them to verify. Employment checks are done through a service with the SS administration. Alot of companies dont bother,because of money. Alot of companies use third party,which in turn,get all the records from city,state,fed. If your asking what the background checks are for,they are to verify.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:21 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,266 times
If you are driving as part of the job duties, they will check your DMV records. If you have a license like nursing they check to see if it is valid. If you work with children you will have a fingerprint check for sex offense. If you work with money, they may run a credit check. Other than those I think it is just former jobs, degrees, and criminal record.

Whether they get start and end dates depends on what that company will provide. Some former employers provide this information, some don't. I just got a new job last July and they went through a background check company. That company's computer went down so they couldn't verify one of my former employers. I emailed my W2 to the HR department so that satisfied the requirement. In that case, they were verifying my past employment.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
It totally depends on the employer and the job. What you are doing, where you have to go, and level of responsibility determines how much has to be done. For me it included an FBI background check, but for some of my people it's only been employment history and degree, others also a credit check.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:12 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
They can be as minimal or as comprehensive as the potential employer wants them to be.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,232 times
In theory they can check for a variety of information. Commonly they check employment history and education. If you are working in a field with security sensitive materials/information, your future employer might also want to check your criminal and financial background. They can also uncover anything that was not disclosed during the application process. Generally, it pays of to be honest. I hope it worked out for you.
David
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search