Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 08:25 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times

Advertisements

If you don't want to work thanksgiving then quit it's that simple. Complaining and bellyaching will not change the fact that you still have to work it. so work it or don't. How about or serviceman in Iraq they have no choise. Switch jobs with them I'm sure they would glad to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 09:19 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
No. They are salaried, overtime exempt employees. No one is working more than 40 hours except me and maybe another manager.

I guess that's another problem. These entitlement issues that another individual brought up.
I think you'll find that people don't even KNOW anything about the hospitality industry. IE that you actually can get a degree and it's a CAREER.

Complaining about working on a holiday or not getting a PREMIUM PAY in hospitality is about as stupid as complaining about working in a restaurant on a Saturday night.

The 20 Best Hospitality Programs in the United States | The Best Schools

Why isn't anyone complaining about FOOTBALL ON THANKSGIVING!

OUTRAGEOUS making all those players play on this esteemed holiday!!

Are the complainers turning off their televisions and boycotting TICKET SALES???

Of course not. Because it's something THEY WANT instead of shopping.

Football on Thanksgiving is good.

Shopping on Thanksgiving is bad.

Get it?

Old 11-30-2014, 09:23 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
BTW in Florida people go to HOTELS for hurricanes.

The Marriott had their employees stay at the property with THEIR PETS during the 04 - 05 awful season and they employees were THRILLED to be able to do so.

My kid's GF was a Marriott employee and by the 4th hurricane in a row he decided he didn't want to run to the property and stayed home. He spent 8 hours holding a mattress up against his [broken] front door that ripped out of his hand when he OPENED it up in the wind! Instead of being nice and comfortable in the hotel.

There are PLENTY OF PERKS working in hospitality.

P.S. She worked her way up from a part time college student front desk worker to Assistant Property Director in something like 2 YEARS! PLUS they paid her college. She LOVES her CAREER.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:46 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
BTW in Florida people go to HOTELS for hurricanes.

The Marriott had their employees stay at the property with THEIR PETS during the 04 - 05 awful season and they employees were THRILLED to be able to do so.

My kid's GF was a Marriott employee and by the 4th hurricane in a row he decided he didn't want to run to the property and stayed home. He spent 8 hours holding a mattress up against his [broken] front door that ripped out of his hand when he OPENED it up in the wind! Instead of being nice and comfortable in the hotel.

There are PLENTY OF PERKS working in hospitality.

P.S. She worked her way up from a part time college student front desk worker to Assistant Property Director in something like 2 YEARS! PLUS they paid her college. She LOVES her CAREER.
This reminds me of one job I had where we could expect some big snow storms in the winter. I worked at a resort and, if we managed to get snowed in, we were given rooms, meals, the whole nine yards. I always carried an overnight bag in my car 'just in case' and it came handy a few times. I enjoyed working the front desk and have done so at several different places.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:42 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
I've worked on Thanksgiving. I work many holidays. Life didn't end. I'm still breathing! I always liked working holidays. Depending on the job it was either really quiet and I could get a ton done or it was super busy so my shift flew by. I didn't complain either way. I often volunteered to work holidays. I also worked closings, night shift, and weekends. Could be why I never had a problem finding a job! I was open to working...such a foreign concept these days.

My husband has worked almost every day he's had off for the holiday. He's working right now. He's salaried and in IT. He has a project that needs to be wrapped up next week. There were delays in other people getting their part completed. Not a big deal. He thought I'd be upset he had to work. Hello....it's called having a job! Much better to have one then be homeless!

Old 11-30-2014, 10:45 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I think you'll find that people don't even KNOW anything about the hospitality industry. IE that you actually can get a degree and it's a CAREER.

Complaining about working on a holiday or not getting a PREMIUM PAY in hospitality is about as stupid as complaining about working in a restaurant on a Saturday night.

The 20 Best Hospitality Programs in the United States | The Best Schools

Why isn't anyone complaining about FOOTBALL ON THANKSGIVING!

OUTRAGEOUS making all those players play on this esteemed holiday!!

Are the complainers turning off their televisions and boycotting TICKET SALES???

Of course not. Because it's something THEY WANT instead of shopping.

Football on Thanksgiving is good.

Shopping on Thanksgiving is bad.

Get it?
The program that I attended (Cornell) is surprising #1 on that list. Thanks for sharing.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:47 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Go back to school and better yourself? You mean like so you can start your own business and then you can make your own rules? Ever consider that there are people in these service industries who DO HAVE college degrees? They choose these occupations because of a desire to HELP other human beings and love their work. Money trumps everything else? That is sad.
Did you even read the OP? I already own the business. Owning a business doesn't mean you make your own rules. There are rules of the industry, government regulations, etc.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I think retail workers complaining about working on the holidays is totally understandable. Many of them take the job knowing that it could be asked of them ONLY because they can't get anything else and they need to work somewhere. Just because they agreed to the job and its conditions doesn't make their complaint invalid. Their employer basically has them over a barrel.
Your rant has NOTHING do with the OP's thread.

Speak for yourself! Many people in retail - myself included - didn't/don't take a job because they can't find work elsewhere. I enjoyed working in retail. I liked having busy work. I also didn't demand to have every holiday off. My last retail job I closed every single Friday night and Saturday night and then opened Sunday morning. I didn't mind because those were the busiest days to work. And I like to be busy. Nothing worse than having nothing to do for 8 hours so your shift feels like it's a week long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You talk about Thanksgiving like it is a sacred holiday. Are you aware of the divorce rate in America or the number of single parent 'families'. Not everybody choses to sit down at the table with relatives - it can be very stressful. There is no law that says one must eat turkey on this day. Workers, that want to work, should always be allowed to work on any holiday. To many it is an opportunity to make considerably more money than they make at other times.

So what is the point of your argument? Is it that because some stores are closed; all stores must close? Do you want America to legislate the old blue laws? We are into freedom of choice - if you don't want to work on the holiday; only work for companies on your list. Of course that limits your possibilities.
We had our family dinner at 2 pm. On our way home, we were hungry for dinner. We had a 2+ hour commute home. We stopped at Cracker Barrel because we knew they were open and were serving a nice Thanksgiving meal. The number of families, seniors, and single parents with children was rather high. Even at 7 pm, the restaurant was plenty busy. I can only imagine how packed it was earlier in the day.

Our waitress had been there since they opened 3 years ago and she has worked every Thanksgiving. She was pleasant and not grouchy at all about working the holiday. She was very busy. I imagine her tips were rather nice as well. She didn't keel over from having to work a holiday. I imagine she's still breathing now. She was when we left.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Did you even read the OP? I already own the business. Owning a business doesn't mean you make your own rules. There are rules of the industry, government regulations, etc.
People who say get an education so you don't work holidays make me laugh. I'll be sure to let my cousins know that their bachelor's degrees in nursing is useless and that if they only had an education they wouldn't be working on holidays.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:40 AM

388 posts, read 535,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You talk about Thanksgiving like it is a sacred holiday. Are you aware of the divorce rate in America or the number of single parent 'families'. Not everybody choses to sit down at the table with relatives - it can be very stressful. There is no law that says one must eat turkey on this day. Workers, that want to work, should always be allowed to work on any holiday. To many it is an opportunity to make considerably more money than they make at other times.

So what is the point of your argument? Is it that because some stores are closed; all stores must close? Do you want America to legislate the old blue laws? We are into freedom of choice - if you don't want to work on the holiday; only work for companies on your list. Of course that limits your possibilities.

I never mentioned Thanksgiving being anything close to a sacred holiday.

I didn't say all stores MUST close because some do.

You must have misread/read into my post quite a bit, because I never even hinted at those points.

In case you missed the beginning portion of my post, I am providing a counterpoint to the post I quoted mentioning that stores have to be open on Thanksgiving or else they'll suffer.

I only pointed out that stores have the CHOICE of being open or closed for Thanksgiving, and provided a sampling of a larger list of stores stores to prove that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment