Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 02:56 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

As some of you may know, I've been applying to numerous jobs in other cities that are far away from where I currently live. My resume is great, but the one question that I struggle with is, "why are you looking to relocate here?" Sometimes I respond with something along the lines of, "I am looking to make a move to a place that will work better for me economically (i.e. cost of living) and settle down for the long term." After I tell them that, they seem to lose interest.

No, I don't have family in the area. This is a personal decision. I mean, it seems like employers REQUIRE you to have family in the area or something, even if I'm a perfect fit for the job. What the heck? What does family have ANYTHING to do with relocating for a job? Many people don't care about being nearby their families, and being near family is not the #1 priority for everyone.

My main reason for wanting to relocate is to move to an area with a lower cost of living. That answer seems to be unacceptable, but I don't know how else to spin it.

I've applied to nearly 50 jobs over the past 4 months and had no luck, other than a few phone interviews here and there (and one real interview). Recruiters keep saying that my resume looks great, and truth be told, none of them said anything about me having a 4th job just 8 years into my career, because "it's very common these days." So what gives?!

So annoying. It seems like my only option is to stay here for 3 more years and save up money and then move COLD TURKEY to a new place, with no job lined up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 03:03 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
If you really believe that's the case tell them you have family in the area. Tell them what they want to hear. Then if you get the job, you can always say they had to move for a job elsewhere.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
If you really believe that's the case tell them you have family in the area. Tell them what they want to hear. Then if you get the job, you can always say they had to move for a job elsewhere.
I don't like lying to that extent.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:42 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I don't like lying to that extent.
I'll be making a the big move from Michigan to California and although I have very, very distant relatives there, I have some friends. I would stick with just being honest and saying that you're at a stage in your life where you want to pursue opportunities in your field of interest in State X. You enjoyed visiting there on vacations, and have done research and plan to live in X area. It would also help if you know exactly when you'll be in the area. Understandably you might not want to move to a new state w/o a new job yet, but make a concerted effort when applying for a particular job in a particular city, that you have already explored moving in X neighborhood of X city and that this job would help you build a long home base and career there.

Good luck.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:45 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Maybe the interviewer doesn't really want a personal answer, to what sounds like a personal choice question. So how about this answer?

"I'm truly an adaptable person. Doing good work is important to me and I could be happy living just about anywhere for the right opportunity. I applied for this position because I have a great interest in the opportunity your company is providing."

But you should be prepared to back up that last sentence with a thoughtful explanation of why your interest in the position is great.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:52 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
"Better job opportunities in my field."
"I've always wanted to live in this part of the country."
"I'm willing to relocate anywhere that a good job in a stable company will take me."

And yes, I would also say

"I have family living here."

It's a lie that doesn't hurt your ability to do the job, so if that's what it takes for you to be hired, few would fault you for this tiny transgression.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:55 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I would say something like this^^^ too.

"I am open, at this point in my career, to new experiences and new opportunities to grow, and seeing new parts of the country are an added bonus."

Old 11-30-2014, 05:01 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
I second better job prospects or economic opportunities.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I second better job prospects or economic opportunities.
That won't work so well though, because I currently live in one of the best areas of the country for my career field.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:17 PM

13 posts, read 84,304 times
"My significant other is being relocated for work." Worked for me and it wasn't true. I simply wanted to move to the area for the quality of life and low COL. If you get the job and your "significant other" gets brought up, simply say things didn't work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment