Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 01:10 PM

347 posts, read 425,541 times

Advertisements

Hi CD,

I've been in career hell for the past five years, getting laid off three times. I currently have my Associates in Multimedia, a bunch of other professional certs and over ten years working experience. I've been accepted at two universities to get a BS in Communications. I'm still not sure exactly what I want to do with it, but think it would help me to feel better about myself.

I also found a two year degree in fitness/nutrition that really interests me.

I have two friends with their Master's degrees encouraging me to return for the two year degree instead of the four year, as they found no value in their MBA's. My family is encouraging me to finish up with a Bachelor's. At my last hellish job, there was only a $2k salary difference between me and my associate with their Masters as well.

I am so confused, yet desperately wanting to move forward and improve my life.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 01:33 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Do you have an idea of what you actually want to do (or at least think you want to do?)? I wouldn't get anything until that's figured out.

There are plenty of people who found no value in their MBA's and plenty who have found a lot of value.

I would focus on narrowing down a field you have some interest in (or think you have some interest in) and go from there - not the other way around.

Best of luck

Old 12-01-2014, 02:03 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
A Bachelor and a Masters are two different steps, unless you go through a program you receive both which is offered by some colleges.

As G-fused said you need to know what you want to do. A Nutrition/Fitness Certification may be a better way to go. Figure out what you want to do first.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:33 PM

347 posts, read 425,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Do you have an idea of what you actually want to do (or at least think you want to do?)? I wouldn't get anything until that's figured out.

There are plenty of people who found no value in their MBA's and plenty who have found a lot of value.

I would focus on narrowing down a field you have some interest in (or think you have some interest in) and go from there - not the other way around.

Best of luck
I want to live in the Hollywood Hills and create informative documentaries that improve the quality of people's lives and dress up as if everyday is Halloween. Ok, so how's that going to pay my bills?

Old 12-01-2014, 08:08 PM

527 posts, read 708,928 times
Bachelor is always better than Associate

Old 12-01-2014, 08:18 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,598 times
Have you considered a BA degree in Video Production? Starting pay looked pretty good for just college grads, and your bringing an employment history to the table. Could be a good fit.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:39 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I don't see specifically as to how a second associates would help that much. I'd go for the bachelors frankly because it does open up doors. If you wanted to go onto a masters there's no way you can do that without a bachelors.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:18 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
OP, unless you are have vivid and regular day dreams about a life in nutrition and fitness, I don't see the need to deviate off our current course and get another Associates degree. The market is competitive in the world and a BA in communication/marketing/multi-media/video production along with your current skills and experience, will go a long way instead of starting all over again and going the fitness route.

A Masters degree are for those hard core students who do love their specialty of interest. I got my MA in Communication just a year ago this month. It costs too much money and too much brain juice to get a Master's degree half-assed.

Go for the BA and take night or online classes. Surely your credits from your Associates degree will push you further along in your studies.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment