Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 11:54 AM

22 posts, read 20,596 times

Advertisements

Here is my story...

I had an "meet and greet" (interview) with the Director of the company that I am very interested in [government job]. The timeline is as follows:

11/5 - Contacted by HR to conduct "Meet and Greet" with Director for 11/13

11/13 - Interview held with Director of company; was asked to provide references

11/14 (AM) - Sent follow-up email expressing interest and sent references to Director

11/14 (PM) - Received 'Thank you' email from Director; Director begins calling references

11/15 (AM) - Director tells me I should hear back by Thanksgiving

12/2 (AM) - I haven't heard anything back yet

It has been roughly two weeks since my reference check has begun, but I know that the holidays might have affected the outcome of their turnaround time for contacting me back about the federal government position.

My questions are:
1. How long should I wait to reach out the the Director in regards to the status of the position?
2. Should I reach out to the HR person that set up the interview to check the status of the references?

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 12:16 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,114 times
Wait this week & if you haven't heard back then email the HR on Monday to check the status of your application. The process takes longer especially during holiday season as a lot of people are taking vacations. Be patient. You should hear back by end of this week.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Wait this week & if you haven't heard back then email the HR on Monday to check the status of your application. The process takes longer especially during holiday season as a lot of people are taking vacations. Be patient. You should hear back by end of this week.
Thanks so much, luckygal! I'll definitely wait until next week. I hope to hear back before the end of the week though. I'll update the post as soon as I find out!

Old 12-02-2014, 12:52 PM

98 posts, read 269,034 times
Next week it will be A MONTH since you've heard from them, so let's put this in perspective: how do you think your chances fare? How many "signatures" or "OKs" do you need from people that might be on "vacation" or "out of the office"? You should still be continuing your job search until you hear "You've got the job" from their end. Period. I've been in the same boat you're in---had the initial interview, the follow up, met with some stuffed shirts, had the reference and background check, only to be greeted with the generic "We've gone ahead with other candidates" letter/e-mail. Remember, it's NOT a waste of time for HR to string you along in the interview process--it's their JOB! Yes, they're getting paid to put you through the motions, and at another level, to waste your time, especially if they know they have someone else in mind for the position. I would not start singing the praises about landing the job until you have a firm offer. If you do send an e-mail out to them next week, there's a 99.9999% chance you're going to get the "We're still working on it" response or some type of variant. NEVER will you hear, "Oh, sorry, we meant to inform you last week you got the job, but silly us, we forgot."

Old 12-02-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler77 View Post
Next week it will be A MONTH since you've heard from them, so let's put this in perspective: how do you think your chances fare? How many "signatures" or "OKs" do you need from people that might be on "vacation" or "out of the office"? You should still be continuing your job search until you hear "You've got the job" from their end. Period. I've been in the same boat you're in---had the initial interview, the follow up, met with some stuffed shirts, had the reference and background check, only to be greeted with the generic "We've gone ahead with other candidates" letter/e-mail. Remember, it's NOT a waste of time for HR to string you along in the interview process--it's their JOB! Yes, they're getting paid to put you through the motions, and at another level, to waste your time, especially if they know they have someone else in mind for the position. I would not start singing the praises about landing the job until you have a firm offer. If you do send an e-mail out to them next week, there's a 99.9999% chance you're going to get the "We're still working on it" response or some type of variant. NEVER will you hear, "Oh, sorry, we meant to inform you last week you got the job, but silly us, we forgot."
I have still been continuing my job search with a few more interviews in the mix; one offer pending. As far as the waiting factor, it has been a week and a half, considering the fact that Thanksgiving was last week.

My only concern is, that IT IS the government and they usually take their sweet time...

Old 12-02-2014, 01:43 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler77 View Post

They said OP should hear by thanksgiving, which just passed. People are still getting back to work from the holiday. Also its flu season & many people are out sick. So giving them a week is very reasonable. Ofcourse it doesn't make sense to sit around waiting for them. Keep interviewing until you get an offer letter. Usually if they have talked to references & the background check is clean then its hopeful. If they were not interested they would let you know right away & not go to the trouble of talking to references or do background checks. These things cost money & resources. So stay positive & contact them next week if you still haven't heard from them. Keep searching jobs, interview as much as you can to avoid fixating on just one job.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:23 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,153,368 times
I would suggest following up now, since it's past the date they indicated you would hear something. There's no advantage in waiting.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:06 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
can you clarify:
Is this a government agency interviewing and hiring you?
Is this a private company interviewing and hiring you that does government contract work?
Is this a private company interviewing and/or hiring you to be placed in a government job?

Old 12-02-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
can you clarify:
Is this a government agency interviewing and hiring you?
Is this a private company interviewing and hiring you that does government contract work?
Is this a private company interviewing and/or hiring you to be placed in a government job?
The company that interviewed me is the government agency that is supposed to hire me.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
They said OP should hear by thanksgiving, which just passed. People are still getting back to work from the holiday. Also its flu season & many people are out sick. So giving them a week is very reasonable. Ofcourse it doesn't make sense to sit around waiting for them. Keep interviewing until you get an offer letter. Usually if they have talked to references & the background check is clean then its hopeful. If they were not interested they would let you know right away & not go to the trouble of talking to references or do background checks. These things cost money & resources. So stay positive & contact them next week if you still haven't heard from them. Keep searching jobs, interview as much as you can to avoid fixating on just one job.
So, you think it's reasonable to wait until next week before I reach out to them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment