Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 12:07 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,637,971 times

Advertisements

1) be born into a rich family
2) marry into a rich family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 09:57 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,727,775 times
Be willing to ignore everyone with their "meaningful" advice.

You won't get to where you wanna go if you let other people tell you what to do and think.

(which I guess means you should ignore my post....?)

Old 12-07-2014, 11:18 AM

32,625 posts, read 47,939,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
......... I really aspire to live life in a lap of luxury one day (Like owning a Ferrari 458 and a 5 bedroom mansion). ........
You don't want to be wealthy. You want to spend money. You'll have a difficult time of it with that attitude.

But you really want the secret? It's put your money to work for you. Put other people's money to work for you. Put other people to work for you and let them generate income for you. You are very unlikely to save your way into a top income position in society.

For what you aspire to, I recommend that you be a national level football hero, a popular film or music star, or win the lottery. Then you can spend like a rock star.

I know a lot of extremely wealthy people and not one of them owns a Ferrari. Only one of them owns a private jet and that is set up as an office and he works as he is flown around the world to his various investments.

People with a lot of money work at it. If you don't pay attention to your money, it disappears somehow while you are left not knowing where it went.

In order to put your money to work for you, you must first accumulate that money. That is where savings and a good salary come into it. Both before and after, you will have to work hard for it, or you will never have it.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:12 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,322,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gomar Holnyuk View Post
Is their way to get rich repeatable by others? I mean how many people could say they've done something like The Beatles, Led Zep, U2, Rolling Stones, Cream/Eric Clapton, Duran Duran, Police/Sting, Pink Floyd, Elton John, Black Sabbath/Ozzy, Deep Purple, etc.?
Not many!

So, their fame and fortune is not copyable nor repeatable; as what Bill Gates&Paul Allen did, etc.
There is only one Elvis, Marilyn, Bogart, Wayne, Chaplin, Spielberg.

But, the lottery is repeatable winnings for many who have become filthy rich overnight with a $1 ticket.
Sure, many people have lost their lottery fortune over time; but so have investors in wall st, stock market, and real estate.
True it is hard to create still, the idea was that it was said that no one had become a millionaire in England and I proved that wrong. Lots of other ways to get rich.

Good luck with that lottery plan. The problem with the vast majority of Lottery winners is that they did not work for the money so in essence they have no idea how to manage that kind of wealth. For those that have made it and lost it, they allready know how to make it and many of those people make it again. A family that I have known for years went thru that. They had built a massive net worth. They had three Malibu area properties, a large business, and several million in the bank. This was back in the early 1980's. I watched as they lost their fortune, the business went under, and they slowly sold their homes and land in Malibu. They moved several times and ended up in a small condo in Oxnard CA. Their accountant asked them one day when they were going to build their wealth again. Like it was that easy. Turns out that it was. Within a 15 year time frame they had reclaimed most of their lost wealth. Let me see a lottery winner do that.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:16 PM

444 posts, read 581,562 times
Default stupid

silly question.

1. save your income

or quicker

2. open a business and save or find a job that pays a lot of money

3. play the lottery (silly idea)

4. hope for an inheritance

1 Million Dollars at 5% yearly interest is only 50K/yr...you could live off the interest or roll half into a life annuity.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:35 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,377,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4 View Post
1) be born into a rich family
2) marry into a rich family
Nonsense. There are plenty of first generation millionaires and I'm not talking about lotto winners.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:02 PM

566 posts, read 503,286 times
Robin Leach in a doc about credit cards stated he lost a lot of his "friends" because of the tanked economy. Them rich folks just lost their fortune and disappeared.

I've been on estate tours on Long Island of former Rockefeller, Getty, Astor abandoned mansions which are empty as either the family sued each other, died out, lost mullah, cashed out and left, or whatever, just ghosts remain.
In fact Long Island is full of abandoned mansions of former millionaires; As is England, Ireland, and Scotland.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:36 PM

820 posts, read 1,208,586 times
Build a business from the ground up. Work, and invest into 401ks, roth iras, and index funds. Franchise a already successful business and reinvest the profits.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:26 AM

827 posts, read 630,091 times
I think in america around 80% of millionary get their fortune by themself. Sad thing is a huge part are probably professional sportsmen and artists.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:36 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,972,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
How are they going to be able to afford medical school? Yeah you could make $300k a year, pay for a $150k house and still have a huge debt from medical school.
Not a problem, as long as the newly-minted doctor is willing to live like a resident for the first few years of practice and focus on using that big paycheck to rapidly pay down the debt before buying a house, new car, etc.. Of course, that's hard to do if you have the OP's mindset of wanting to live large.

The bigger problem is that no one knows how much healthcare reform is going to decrease physician salaries in the long term, so going to medical school may not be as financially safe a move today as it was in the past. I wouldn't recommend anyone go into the field if their primary motivation for doing so is simply money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment