Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 07:19 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Awww, thanks everyone! Such nice comments!

Curator - my dream job! The BLS.gov occupational outlook shows growth in the near future with this particular profession. Hey,

Degree mills aren't actually that bad! My SO has a Bachelor's from Kaplan and is making $135K+ as an Applications Developer. The downside, he has put in mucho time!! Sometimes I'll wake up at 2 am and there he is typing away. He works hard to be the best at what he does, and it pays off. His salary increased to from $85K to the $135K (in one year) based on the fact he created a niche software/application that allowed the HR team to use Adobe software in a way that Adobe hadn't even thought of! Of course, he had to sign away the rights to his current employer.

So, the afterthought it to just be extremely inventive and think of new ways to do things! Maybe create something new and innovative in your chosen field and add that to your resume! Maybe you can streamline a process? Or procedure?

You can use that communications project as a starting point.
I'm sure there are exceptions and it sounds like your SO is one of them I know of plenty of my people in my program who are doing great in their careers, they likely knew exactly what they wanted to do. Some people are very career driven. I've always wanted to be successful, i've just had trouble focusing it seems. If i could do it over I'd probably be a nurse. not doing it now though. I dont want to go back to school again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 07:30 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I'm sure there are exceptions and it sounds like your SO is one of them I know of plenty of my people in my program who are doing great in their careers, they likely knew exactly what they wanted to do. Some people are very career driven. I've always wanted to be successful, i've just had trouble focusing it seems. If i could do it over I'd probably be a nurse. not doing it now though. I dont want to go back to school again.
I agree with you about there being exceptions. I am very much like you. Didn't really know what to choose while I was in school, so I chose to study Finance even though I was miserable. I really hate it. I'd like to get that MFA in Art History like I mentioned. I always look and have applied, but always rescinded the offer.

You're lucky your employer paid for the Master's degree! That's great. If you are considering nursing, you should probably look into it. Never too old if it's what you really want to do.

But, if you really don't want to go to school again - how about working in a hospital? In their administrative offices?

Old 12-04-2014, 07:35 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,612 times
I did work in a hospital and at a medical school and I dont think that was for me either. It was very administrative-lots of meeting planning. I should look into communications departments in hospitals. That could be interesting. You should get your MFA if it's what you really want to do. Sounds like it's something you're passionate about.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:53 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,935,908 times
I think if you have masters you are a slave....

Old 12-05-2014, 07:09 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I got a masters in 2009 in communications management. I think it has helped me get the past two jobs i've had (still at one of them) but I'm really not doing anything with the degree. I work in customer support and i use writing skills on a daily basis...but i just feel that i'm underemployed. Maybe I'm lazy? I havent applied for any jobs in almost 3 years. I dont even know what I'd like to do. Anyone else in a similar position? I also feel like i've had opportunities to improve myself but i get afraid or something.
My master's degree is not required on my job either but it does make me a better problem solver. It did open doors for me that would have otherwise been closed.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:39 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,604,861 times
As for the master's degree being a waste I think that highly on what the degree is in and do you bring any prior experience. As many have already said getting an MBA with no experience seems like a colossal waste of time, at the same token getting a MFA in Writing or Art do not seem all that useful either because I have not really seen a demand for Masters in Fine Arts or writing -note I do not discredit the passion or effort put into getting these degrees, I only question will it pay off in a finical sense.

Also OP, do you know of any idea of how to work in communications department of a hospital (do hospitals even have a communications department)?

Old 12-05-2014, 07:55 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
I think a big problem some people make is to quit working while getting their masters. At least in getting some type of masters in business, anyway. Bad idea - you lose a lot of ground doing that.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:57 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,788,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Also OP, do you know of any idea of how to work in communications department of a hospital (do hospitals even have a communications department)?
Yes, hospitals and many other healthcare institutions have a communications dept. Some of those depts are pretty large actually. It can encompass and span many things such as web development, their entire PR area (which have many of their own sub areas), patient relations, telecom, social media (getting big in healthcare), and many many other things.

I'm in one of the worlds largest academic medical centers. Communications is a very large and important area for us and those like us. I used to be with BCBS, communications there was big as well. Moreover, when I was with a medium sized community hospital, they had a communications and PR area; It’s bigger now because they have people doing social media.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:15 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,604,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Yes, hospitals and many other healthcare institutions have a communications dept. Some of those depts are pretty large actually. It can encompass and span many things such as web development, their entire PR area (which have many of their own sub areas), patient relations, telecom, social media (getting big in healthcare), and many many other things.

I'm in one of the worlds largest academic medical centers. Communications is a very large and important area for us and those like us. I used to be with BCBS, communications there was big as well. Moreover, when I was with a medium sized community hospital, they had a communications and PR area; It’s bigger now because they have people doing social media.
Very cool, you always hear about the medial type job openings or lack of job openings but never anything on the communications end. Do you know of how one gets into the communications department of a hospital? Is it simple as applying through the hospitals website or do you have to go some larger communications company that does work for a hospital and or hospital system? Do you need a certain degree and years of experience or are there entry level positions ?

Old 12-05-2014, 08:16 AM

7 posts, read 7,463 times
I highly dislike "institutions" such as U. of Phoenix, etc. Places like these put distance education programs in a VERY bad light; I received my undergraduate degree from University of Maryland University College (and people can say what they will, but it's still UM and it's accredited), and am currently attending Boston University's MCJ (criminal justice) distance education curriculum. Both programs were/are extremely challenging (to most, anyway - I found them easy) and are from respected, well-known institutions (particularly BU).

In my case, obtaining my Master's was definitely the key to higher wages in my field. Criminal justice is one of those fields that are ALWAYS going to be in demand (because, unfortunately, there's always crime) - and there are various sub-disciplines that one could specialize in, from victimology research (there is such a thing) to social work (drug and alcohol treatment courts) to investigation work to public policy and administration. A Master's in a particular specialization will only open up doors to higher-paying jobs (especially in the Federal sector where it's pretty much a requirement for you to get anywhere).

Short answer to the original question - yes. It means something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment