Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: So, would you?
Yes 12 57.14%
No 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 01:56 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,459 times

Advertisements

Just need some opinions here..

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I am really, really bad at my current job. Almost every time I go to committee to present I get kicked out.

It's come to the point where I don't even want to present anymore.

I do my due diligence, but in the end, I still suck.

Even preparing beforehand doesn't help. I honestly think this is not a good match like I thought it was.

I'm surprised I haven't been fired yet.

So, would you quit a job that you are really bad at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 02:27 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
I would imagine I'd be fired long before I quit.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:46 PM

397 posts, read 602,178 times
It depends.

First, I would definitely be looking for another job.

But if you quit you won't qualify for unemployment (some exceptions to this). However, quitting sounds better than being terminated to future employers. But if you don't have a job lined up, you will have to explain to future employers why you quit a job with no prospects. However, sometimes at higher levels, you're allowed to "resign" with severance instead of being fired. Saves the company from paying you unemployment and allows you to tell other employers that you resigned.

But best case scenario is to find another job.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:51 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I would look for another job, or if I didn't need the paycheck for awhile, quit. Otherwise you'd better keep working until you are fired.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:53 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
Yes, I would, for the simple reason that it would be the right thing to do. It's one thing to have a learning curve, and sometimes the learning curve can be steep and the criticism can be scathing for not meeting expectations. Yet, if I felt that I would eventually get over the hump and eventually succeed at the things that I'm failing at now, I'd try to up my game until I could meet expectations. But it's possible to be in over one's head, and I think that if I ever truly got to that point, I'd probably feel compelled to let someone know. Confidence and steadfastness are good traits to have, but so are integrity and the ability to assess your own limitations.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW2013 View Post
It depends.

First, I would definitely be looking for another job.

But if you quit you won't qualify for unemployment (some exceptions to this). However, quitting sounds better than being terminated to future employers. But if you don't have a job lined up, you will have to explain to future employers why you quit a job with no prospects. However, sometimes at higher levels, you're allowed to "resign" with severance instead of being fired. Saves the company from paying you unemployment and allows you to tell other employers that you resigned.

But best case scenario is to find another job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I would look for another job, or if I didn't need the paycheck for awhile, quit. Otherwise you'd better keep working until you are fired.
Yea, I've thought about all of this.

I am looking to relocate back to NJ, so I was planning to use that as an excuse if I quit. I'm sure the question will come up.

I know I won't qualify for unemployment, but hopefully I have enough saved up so that I can survive, and find some part time temp work in NYC quickly upon arrival. I've been looking for work in NY & NJ, but being in Chicago, it's quite hard to find interested employers in another state.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:00 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Just need some opinions here..

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I am really, really bad at my current job. Almost every time I go to committee to present I get kicked out.

It's come to the point where I don't even want to present anymore.

I do my due diligence, but in the end, I still suck.

Even preparing beforehand doesn't help. I honestly think this is not a good match like I thought it was.

I'm surprised I haven't been fired yet.

So, would you quit a job that you are really bad at?
It depends. Do you suck at the job because you lack the training or discipline/work ethic/maturity?

If they hire me into a job where the expectations are above my experience, then I will try and fake it until I make it. However, there are some things I will not be able to catch up on, like being a partner at a law firm or a surgeon. I do not have that training.

Other than that, I believe that I am capable of doing mostly any job out there in terms of demands.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Yes, I would, for the simple reason that it would be the right thing to do. It's one thing to have a learning curve, and sometimes the learning curve can be steep and the criticism can be scathing for not meeting expectations. Yet, if I felt that I would eventually get over the hump and eventually succeed at the things that I'm failing at now, I'd try to up my game until I could meet expectations. But it's possible to be in over one's head, and I think that if I ever truly got to that point, I'd probably feel compelled to let someone know. Confidence and steadfastness are good traits to have, but so are integrity and the ability to assess your own limitations.
I feel like I am. Based on the fact my presentations were cancelled today - I now have 5 to present next week. I honestly was putting in my letter of resignation tomorrow. I'll still attempt to do the work though.

It's honestly just embarrassing at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
It depends. Do you suck at the job because you lack the training or discipline/work ethic/maturity?

If they hire me into a job where the expectations are above my experience, then I will try and fake it until I make it. However, there are some things I will not be able to catch up on, like being a partner at a law firm or a surgeon. I do not have that training.

Other than that, I believe that I am capable of doing mostly any job out there in terms of demands.
Good question - which I will honestly answer. It may be a combination of everything. This is honestly the only job I've had where I have basically stunk. Most of the concepts fly over my head and it's a bit boring, so maybe I do not put in the required time to focus on understanding all of the policies, etc. I've been sitting at my desk for over 2 hours trying to understand one particular subject I NEED to know for a committee tomorrow, and I just do not get it. Faking it...yea, the chairperson will tear you apart if they get a hint you don't know what you are talking about.

I just don't even want to try anymore based on the fact I fail every time. I think it's seriously affecting my self-esteem.

I want to ask a coworker for help, but they look at you like you have four eyes when you tell them you don't understand something, especially if they think it's simple. Everyone sits on a high horse in this office.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:30 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
Look the bottom line is cash flow. If your that bad can you do a inside transfer? Today if you lose or quit a job it could take a long time to recover. Suck it up and if your that bad they can and will let you go.

Your answer when asked just say it was a bad fit.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:45 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
I'd rather be terminated and say it wasn't a good fit so I could collect unemployment at least.

They actually KICK YOU OUT? That is weird. Don't you have a superior or supervisor who can help you better present? I mean I'm confused as to how you can be "so bad" they kick you out?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment