Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 09:07 PM

906 posts, read 712,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
And no offense...
...proceeds to offend me..

So you think it's necessary to make a new resume and cover letter for every position you apply to even when you know that hiring managers only look at your resume for a minute, if that, and speed reads your cover letter?

I don't see the sense in that, but maybe I'm wrong idk...

Last edited by gumisgood; 12-11-2014 at 09:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 09:13 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumisgood View Post

So you think it's necessary to make a new resume and cover letter for every position you apply to even when you know that hiring managers only look at your resume for a minute, if that, and just speed reads your cover letter?

You would create a career summary and the top of the resume geared toward the job you are applying to which is 5 to 6 lines

Old 12-11-2014, 09:26 PM

906 posts, read 712,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
You would create a career summary and the top of the resume geared toward the job you are applying to which is 5 to 6 lines
That takes like 5 minutes. You should be able to put in 42 jobs apps in a week, if that's all you are changing.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:32 PM

709 posts, read 766,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
I carpet bombed my city and the surrounding cities
If you come near my city, we're going to blow you out of the sky.

Do you even have any idea what that phrase means?

Old 12-11-2014, 09:45 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumisgood View Post

So you think it's necessary to make a new resume and cover letter for every position you apply to even when you know that hiring managers only look at your resume for a minute, if that, and speed reads your cover letter?

You needn't have been offended, what Mpowering said was total truth. Contacts for "sales jobs" when that's not your field are overwhelming pyramid schemes, scams that require an upfront investment and then stick you with product you'll never sell, insurance agencies looking to get you to sell to your friends and family before you crash and burn and they keep the business, and similar such garbage.

Craigslist. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:56 PM

615 posts, read 725,878 times
No activity today.

Prediction: I will get at least a couple calls or emails tomorrow. From my experience, recruiters tend to do a lot of last-minute reach-outs or follow-ups with applicants on Fridays.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:03 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
No activity today.

Prediction: I will get at least a couple calls or emails tomorrow. From my experience, recruiters tend to do a lot of last-minute reach-outs or follow-ups with applicants on Fridays.
you shouldn't be getting anymore calls until after dec 31st

Old 12-12-2014, 08:04 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,480 times
Quote:
Mind if I PM you?
Yes go ahead. I can review your resume for free and provide you feedback. You just have to give me some time...

Old 12-12-2014, 08:14 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,480 times
Quote:
My LinkedIn profile is basically my resume with extra details about my previous work, plus a photo of me. It's not something I'm trying to "show off", but I imagined it would at least give the recruiter some evidence that I'm a real person and that my skills have a minimal amount of verification in the form of "endorsements."
Linkedin is hit or miss kind of website. It works great for some ppl while its a disaster for others. Usually if you have years worth of experience it is a good place to market yourself.

Why would the recruiter need some evidence that you are real. I mean if you are putting yourself in 2-3 yrs of experience category, not much is expected from you. You just have to apply in the right market. Be open to travel or relocation and if possible try to expand your skill set.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:37 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Quote:
No activity today.

Yes, to meet weekly quotas of people they must contact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment