Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 09:26 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,692,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You're right, Boosane, it sounds like she's looking. And I agree, it makes no sense to have a six month gap. When people don't list their new job, it's usually because they've taken it to tide them over and hope to find something else soon, so they don't put it on LI. I wonder if she includes her current job on her resume. It just doesn't make sense not to update her profile after six months.

Perhaps she doesn't want to be viewed as a job hopper and thinks having a gap on her resume would look better than that.

Did you post recently that you're also looking? Or am I getting confused and that was before you found this current job?
Thank you.

According to her profile, she's had 5 jobs and stayed for an average of 2 years. Is this a job hopper?

And no I'm not currently looking, and hopefully I won't for quite some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 09:36 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Glad you're planning on staying and sorry for the confusion. We'll blame old age.

People in my generation would think she's a job hopper for staying an average of two years at her jobs. People in younger generations would not. However, the fact that she's looking after only six months is a problem and I think everyone would wonder about that. She's probably trying to cover that problem up by not putting her current job on her resume and leaving it off her LI profile. That's my guess, anyway.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:57 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam8231 View Post
Im reading mixed things about when to update LinkedIn after getting a new job. Do you update immediately when you find out and have all the paperwork even though you technically don't start for two weeks? Or do you wait? When I was in college, some students would update LinkedIn even though they were starting in August and it was May when we graduated. I'm not sure the proper practice

Probably after probation. Some people wait a year

Old 12-08-2014, 10:37 PM

269 posts, read 371,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW2013 View Post
You want to wait a little bit. Updating it immediately makes you look too eager or desperate, IMHO. A co-worker and I had a little chuckle at a new hire who updated her LinkedIn on her first day.

We all know that LinkedIn is extremely important but I think you need to work to not project the idea that you think LinkedIn is important, KWIM?

I'm not sure what the magic date is but I'd wait about a month.
Well you don't seem like a very nice person to laugh at someone and judge them for something so harmless.

I see nothing wrong with updating your linkedin after your first day. After all it is supposed to be where you currently work. I update after my first day too.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:16 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee18 View Post
Well you don't seem like a very nice person to laugh at someone and judge them for something so harmless.

I see nothing wrong with updating your linkedin after your first day. After all it is supposed to be where you currently work. I update after my first day too.
You have to complete probation first though which is why 91 days is the ideal time frame

Old 12-08-2014, 11:45 PM

269 posts, read 371,115 times
Not all jobs have a probationary period, but even when some of mine did have I never felt the need to wait. Never felt like I might be asked to leave. I am always excited with a new job and enjoy updating my profile.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:04 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee18 View Post
Not all jobs have a probationary period, but even when some of mine did have I never felt the need to wait. Never felt like I might be asked to leave. I am always excited with a new job and enjoy updating my profile.
I'm very superstitious and didn't want to jinx anything. Lol

Old 01-02-2016, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,113 times
Default Don't Embrace Mediocrity

Many have posting its OK to wait 2 weeks, 90 days etc.... OK, if you want to promote inaccuracy and fuzzy truth and laziness. Does anyone care about accuracy? Truth in advertising? After your first day of work you are now working for the new company. By not updating your profile immediately after you start your new position you are degrading the accuracy of LinkedIn. Some people have grown to like LinkedIn and trust the accuracy of what is found there and I appreciate it when people take the time to ensure that their profiles are accurate and updated.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:13 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam8231 View Post
Thanks, everyone. I think I'll wait 1-3 weeks to update after starting. It's been awhile since I changed jobs, so Linkedin has been untouched by me for awhile. With that said, I partially did get my job through networking on Linkedin, so that's why I was so concerned over whether I should post my new job soon. Like they say, every job is temporary, so it doesn't hurt to never stop making connections in "real life" or online.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
within a month or so should be fine. I changed my settings so that no one gets notified unless they happen to come across my profile
yes, i typically wait until i actually start my new job and within the first month for sure

i really don't get why people here are saying wait months. months?!?! that makes no sense at all. one of my coworkers didn't update for 3 months, turned out he never left his old job and was scamming us of 2 jobs at once

for those that say wait over 1 month,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment