Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 10:31 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,515,385 times

Advertisements

[quote=theluckygal;37573358]
Quote:

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.

But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smartass young person.
Sometimes I think "the green thing" of latter days reached its peak around 1994. At that time I used to have a ton of these wonderful reusable shopping bags of canvas and vinyl. They had real shoulder straps attached to ends so the bag would hang comfortably from your shoulder even when full, allowing you to walk your groceries home even a fair distance like half a mile. Or if you want to carry them in your hands, they had also short handles that were just handles, and you could comfortably carry them without having them bump against your legs or drag along the ground. Today's reusable bags are plastic, and instead of good handles and shoulder straps, they have just the one set of "handles" that's apparently intended to work as either handles or a shoulder strap, but does neither well. They're too long for handles. And not being attached to the ends of the bag, they tend to slide off your shoulder.

Somehow over the years, I lost all the good bags, and now I just have the lousy plastic ones like everyone else. Almost every time I shop and reach the checkout counter, the following scenario plays out: I put out all the bags I have, usually a few more than I need. The bagger invariably crams as much as possible into as few bags as possible, and I long used to wonder why this happens. Wouldn't you think it more practical to distribute the groceries into several bags, which would make them easier to carry?

And then it hit me. These supposedly "green" bags are not designed to facilitate your carrying ten or twenty pounds of groceries home from a store that's seven blocks away. They are designed to carry your groceries from the trunk of your car to the kitchen. As it is, I still prefer to walk to the store if at all possible, and every time I have to rebag my own groceries before starting the walk home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 10:39 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,430 times
[quote=Those Who Squirm;37609109]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Sometimes I think "the green thing" of latter days reached its peak around 1994. At that time I used to have a ton of these wonderful reusable shopping bags of canvas and vinyl. They had real shoulder straps attached to ends so the bag would hang comfortably from your shoulder even when full, allowing you to walk your groceries home even a fair distance like half a mile. Or if you want to carry them in your hands, they had also short handles that were just handles, and you could comfortably carry them without having them bump against your legs or drag along the ground. Today's reusable bags are plastic, and instead of good handles and shoulder straps, they have just the one set of "handles" that's apparently intended to work as either handles or a shoulder strap, but does neither well. They're too long for handles. And not being attached to the ends of the bag, they tend to slide off your shoulder.

Somehow over the years, I lost all the good bags, and now I just have the lousy plastic ones like everyone else. Almost every time I shop and reach the checkout counter, the following scenario plays out: I put out all the bags I have, usually a few more than I need. The bagger invariably crams as much as possible into as few bags as possible, and I long used to wonder why this happens. Wouldn't you think it more practical to distribute the groceries into several bags, which would make them easier to carry?

And then it hit me. These supposedly "green" bags are not designed to facilitate your carrying ten or twenty pounds of groceries home from a store that's seven blocks away. They are designed to carry your groceries from the trunk of your car to the kitchen. As it is, I still prefer to walk to the store if at all possible, and every time I have to rebag my own groceries before starting the walk home.
Perhaps you can explain something... if you have 20lbs of groceries, how is it easier if they're in 2 10lbs bags vs 4 5lbs bags? If you're putting them in a car, it makes sense because you can make more trips with the smaller bag, but if you have to carry the same weight regardless, the distribution between bags is irrelevant.

Your scenario is the exact opposite of assuming people are using cars. More lighter bags assumes you can make multiple trips. Less heavier bags means one trip.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Ah Ha. You are the problem. You are the overpopulation.
But it is true that the policymakers and activists of the 1960s and 1970s TOTALLY dropped the ball on overpopulation, mainly due to sensitivity concerns and avoiding the appearance of being culturally chauvinistic. Middle and upper class white people urging other people not to have so many children just wasn't going to fly. Moreover, the the Chinese one-baby policy cast an ugly light on government actions generally, even if they weren't coercive. In many quarters, widespread disapproval or prohibition of contraception for religious or moral reasons. This was an important cultural battle which we completely lost, and few seem to realize how serious it was.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:13 AM

[quote=Jeo123;37609161]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post

Perhaps you can explain something... if you have 20lbs of groceries, how is it easier if they're in 2 10lbs bags vs 4 5lbs bags? If you're putting them in a car, it makes sense because you can make more trips with the smaller bag, but if you have to carry the same weight regardless, the distribution between bags is irrelevant.

Your scenario is the exact opposite of assuming people are using cars. More lighter bags assumes you can make multiple trips. Less heavier bags means one trip.
The same weight distributed into more bags means the total load is easier to balance the load between both hands. If I'm walking I don't want to carry most of the weight in one hand. Conversely, if drive I don't mind single heavy bags because I only need to carry the stuff a few steps into the house.

ETA: Two 10# bags are fine, but I don't want one 5# bag and one 15# bag for example. If I'm buying one item that weighs that much, I won't be walking anyway.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:45 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
1. Try another career counselor or, better yet, a psychologist. Worrying about all the maybe perhaps negatives is self-defeating and shows lack of self confidence.

2. A whole paragraph devoted to negatives, lack of self esteem and self confidence. If it comes shining through in a forum there's little doubt that it's even more evident in person.

I'm not being facetious or dismissive - you could benefit from professional psychological counseling. Good luck.
Things like a shrink usually require some sort of insurance or up-front payment.
Then they'll be quick to thrust the meds(with x-amount of side effects) onto you without fail.

If I were you, I'd take up whatever work was around, save that money up, and then move to some place else where high paying/low-skill/trainee work is available.
The initial cost (Greyhound ticket, a few weeks at a sleaze-motel, or just roughing it somewhere in town for a bit) will be more than off-set by a months pay.

I've still got problems, but at least I've figured out how to deal with my employment woes for the time being.
As long as you could figure out how to get it done and figured out without involving a psychiatrist that will subtly talk down to you like a lower person, then more power to you.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:47 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
The younger generation gives up because they are spoiled and expect everything to be handed to them. They also think they are ''tech superior'' to us ''old geezers, but they are wrong.

It's not ''what you know'' but ''what you do with it'' that counts.

The OP's rant could be right out of '60s ''hippie culture''. It's nothing new among generations.

What I fear will be the greatest challenge for this younger generation is their total absence of a social conscience. They are all about ''me'' and having the last cell phone or gaming system, rather than trying to improve the human condition in their own family or community.

It's an ''adolescence'' now that extends into their 30s, rather than late teens. Grow up, OP, and quit your whining. You are the only one to blame for your situation.
They work more hours and spent more money to "start their lives" more than any generation before them and they're lazy??? Well whatever keeps your head in the sand.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:38 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Things like a shrink usually require some sort of insurance or up-front payment.
Then they'll be quick to thrust the meds(with x-amount of side effects) onto you without fail.

... As long as you could figure out how to get it done and figured out without involving a psychiatrist that will subtly talk down to you like a lower person, then more power to you.
Obviously you've had a poor experience with counseling. Free or low-cost counseling is available in many communities. And very often the first counselor you see isn't a good fit so, if that's still the case after several sessions, you move on until you find the right one. This can be done as easily in a community setting as in a private practice setting.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:49 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default What screw work might look like

Old 12-12-2014, 12:17 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Obviously you've had a poor experience with counseling. Free or low-cost counseling is available in many communities. And very often the first counselor you see isn't a good fit so, if that's still the case after several sessions, you move on until you find the right one. This can be done as easily in a community setting as in a private practice setting.
If one too many of them suggest meds that alter more than what they're supposed to treat, then I'm done.
Not knocking your advice, but I've come across one too many glorified pharmaceutical reps out there than I care to remember.

Besides, I'm suggesting some simple ideas to NickChick that should help out with the job and money woes immediately.
Anything requiring an application only and no fancy resume would be a given.

Get your foot in the door of some place, any place, and then save the resume writing for that higher paying gig.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:03 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
If one too many of them suggest meds that alter more than what they're supposed to treat, then I'm done.
Not knocking your advice, but I've come across one too many glorified pharmaceutical reps out there than I care to remember.

Besides, I'm suggesting some simple ideas to NickChick that should help out with the job and money woes immediately.
Anything requiring an application only and no fancy resume would be a given.

Get your foot in the door of some place, any place, and then save the resume writing for that higher paying gig.
Yeah I've been down that road before. They don't always prescribe you meds but when they don't, they don't really try to fix your problem. The best advice I've ever got was to fake confidence. I don't even have health insurance right now.
I've seen very few that don't require an online application or a resume. The last one I saw was in Hagerstown and you needed a driver's license anyway. I'm hoping to work for places like Staples or Office Depot because that's toward my field but I wouldn't think you can apply there without a finished resume.

I have been doing surveys and stuff like that but I've been getting really tired of doing them lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment