Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 01:37 PM

6 posts, read 36,430 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

First post here @ city-data, great resources and interesting things to read!

Anyhow, as a recent graduate with a professional degree (MS), I've been in the work field for the past 2 years. Recently, I've decided to make a transition to a company where I could see my future & more career opportunities.

Many interviews later, I've found a company that I really would love to work for.

The initial phone screening went great and they wanted to bring me for an in-person interview.
The in-person interview with director, team members, plus video-call with HR manager and corp. recruiter went excellent as well.

A day goes by and the recruiter contacts me to let me know that after discussion with the interviewers, they are moving forward with my application and I should submit background check forms + official application for the position.

Everything was happy-dandy up to that point.

A few more days goes by and I received an offer from another company but I did not accept the offer as I wanted to work at the said company more than anything, but my stupidity kicked in and I resigned from my job then (Thinking I should take a week or two just relaxing...). Well, to keep the company updated with my most recent employment status, I sent an e-mail to the recruiter stating that I did receive an offer but I have not accepted it yet, and I have resigned from the position.

The recruiter then sends me an e-mail that the HR manager would be calling me to discuss my candidacy for the position tomorrow.

Now, at first, I thought, YES. an Offer!! but after thinking thru + reading some posts, I might end up just getting a rejection call........

Did I blew my chance by telling them about the other offer + my resignation at my old company??

I did state clearly that I did not accept the offer as I would love to work for them more than anything..

Am I being too paranoid?

Oh and the recruiter did check with my reference AFTER I sent the e-mail about the most recent status.. so I am not sure what to expect really.....

Any thoughts or inputs from experience would be REALLY appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 01:48 PM

4,269 posts, read 8,171,277 times
Welcome!

I may have misread your post, but, did you quit your other job to take the offer, but then decided against the offer and are now out of work?

If so, rookie mistake! Never quit until you have everything finalized and in concrete, as things happen and change and you can be stuck.

If not, my apologies.

I wouldn't have told them about the resignation... I wouldn't have mentioned turning down the offer, I would have said something along the lines of "Howdy Recruiter Dude.. I was just following up on the position at XXXXX, I received an offer from XYYYYZZZZ today... To be honest, I would prefer the position at XXXXX, but, the offer I received was good and I am planning on accepting it. Can you give me an update on where I stand on the other position so that I can make an informed decision?

Good luck to you, let us know how it goes!

Old 12-10-2014, 01:53 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Although I don't think it was wise to resign (before you had a real offer and signed documentation!?), nor to turn down an offer from another organization, nor tell the other company about any of that...I am consfused about why you think it would cause anyone to reject you.

My guess about what it will do will be to significantly decrease your negotiating position...big time.

Best of luck

Old 12-10-2014, 01:55 PM

Thank you and Sorry! Let me clarify!

Company A - The company I would like to work for
Company B - Job offer was given to me
Company C - Old Job

StupidMe likes to work at 'A'.
StupidMe receives an offer from 'B' but have not accepted yet (Asked for time to consider)
StupidMe resigns from C

Argggg... my supervisor suggested that I should be honest with the hiring people as it is better to be honest upfront than leave them to get surprised by results from background check

Old 12-10-2014, 02:06 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,959 times
So you have a job offer on the table. Presumably you like that job (Company B) more than you like your current job, right? But really you would like Company A most of all?

The only thing you did wrong was quitting your current job prematurely. It is staggeringly unwise to resign from from one job until you have a signed offer, a cleared background check, and a start date from your new employer. Anything can go wrong until then (or even after, but there is no real way to guard against that.)

Announcing to your prospective employer that you have done so makes you look a bit unsophisticated, but it's hardly the sort of thing that would cause them to reject someone who was otherwise their top candidate. Besides, what is done is done. You can't reach back in time and stop yourself from over-sharing. All you can do now is wait for their decision. And please, for the love of all that is holy, don't decline the offer from Company B unless you have a solid, firm, specific, and otherwise iron-clad offer from Company A.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:06 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Well, at least you haven't declined the offer from B, that's good. Resigning from C was bad...don't do that in the future, it can burn you pretty bad. You were waaaaayy overzealous. Like way.

Hopefully you get the offer from A. Resigning from C shouldn't have any effect on their decision. Why would it? Company A knowing that you have an offer from B is something that is in your favor actually.

Assuming you get an offer 9Sounds like you will), resigning decreases your negotiating position significantly - they know you can't say no...you'll be jobless otherwise. But company A knowing you have other options (such as company B) increases your position.

You shouldnt have resigned (you lost an important safety net and it would have helped with negotiation of the package) but live and learn right?

Best of luck

Old 12-10-2014, 02:19 PM

Yes, Company A > B..!

Offer from B still stands so it will come down to tomorrow's phone call I guess.

Yes, it was STUPID for me to resign so quickly...........................

Live and learn, really!

Thank you all! Fingers crossed

Old 12-10-2014, 02:23 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
No need to rehash what others have said regarding resigning too soon. I doubt your call with HR is a "rejection call." Almost no one does that. You sre more likely correct that it is to make an offer, or maybe, but probably not, they want to clarify any questions that may have arisen in your background check.

But I think it's an offer.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:22 PM

324 posts, read 427,435 times
I'm thinking you're going to get a job offer tomorrow.

In my professional experience, references are only checked once you've been selected for hire. Also, it's rare the HR Manager or Director makes a phone call, or send and email for that matter, to reject a candidate. They will make a call however to offer a job because they have the authority to negotiate salary. So, this is promising.

I'll reiterate what others have said though, keep the resignation to yourself next time. lol Let us know how it goes!

Old 12-11-2014, 10:05 AM

530 posts, read 358,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprp85 View Post
Hey all,

First post here @ city-data, great resources and interesting things to read!
Hope you got the good news you wanted to hear! Keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment